hopsen12
jayvon

Socialism is bound to fail.

hopsen12

Pro

Hello all,

With the Ohio primaries quickly approaching, eventually followed by the election, I am in a highly political mindset. I've come to understand that Bernie Sanders, of the Democratic Party, is a socialist. While I first saw socialism as a wise idea, that only lasted for a short two weeks. I am now against socialism, as I see it never working.
The following topic will be argued: Socialism is bound to fail. As the Pro in the argument, I shall be agreeing with this statement, while Con is to disagree, working to show that socialism is not bound to fail.

Rules and Guidelines:

Five Rounds:
R1 - Acceptance (No Arguments/Rebuttals)
R2 - Opening Arguments
R3 - Rebuttals
R4 - Rebuttals
R5 - Final Rebuttals, Closing Statements

- 72 hours given to make post
- 10K character limit

Voting Period: 10 Days, Comments Required, Open Voting.

If any arguments are made in R1, an immediate forfeiture will be required.

Best of luck.
____

Side-note: I did make this same debate the other day, but, due to breaking a set rule, my opponent was required to forfeit. This will be a "retry" of sorts, so that I may have this debate worked out properly.
jayvon

Con

I would be more than happy to debate you on this subject. I look forward to an excellent and vigorous debate!

See you on the battleground my friend, may we both come out victors!

-jayvon
hopsen12

Pro

hopsen12 forfeited this round.
jayvon

Con

jayvon forfeited this round.
hopsen12

Pro

hopsen12 forfeited this round.
jayvon

Con

jayvon forfeited this round.
hopsen12

Pro

hopsen12 forfeited this round.
jayvon

Con

jayvon forfeited this round.
hopsen12

Pro

hopsen12 forfeited this round.
jayvon

Con

jayvon forfeited this round.
Posted by ViceRegent 8 months ago
ViceRegent
Capitalism = people making voluntary choices as to how to interact or not interact with the fellow man.

Can anyone explain to me how this "will never work"?
Posted by SocialDemocrat 9 months ago
SocialDemocrat
Social democracy is not the same as socialism man. Purely capitalism or socialism will never work. Neither do communism or anarchy.
Anarchy is debatable though.
Posted by Theunkown 9 months ago
Theunkown
Its amusing when I hear Bernie Sanders being called a socialist or even a Communist.

Social democracy and welfare state =/= Socialism
Posted by raskuseal 9 months ago
raskuseal
i completely agree with Hopsen12. Socialism and communism are identical in a lot of ways, with one of the minor differences being that socialism is voted in by the people and communism is brought upon by violent revolution. In fact, despite popular belief, the USSR and North Korea aren't actually communist. Communism is when EVERYONE shares everything. Socialism is when only the people share everything, and not the government. Since those two types of government don't share everything, they are just extreme socialist.If Bernie Sanders becomes president, we will essentially become as communist as North Korea and the USSR. And we all know how that goes. The USSR collapsed because of debt, just like America will under Obama and his liberal cronies, and North Korea is one of the top ten most corrupt country in the world. Hopefully either Trump or Cruz become our next president to get us out of this hole America's in.
Posted by Shrekoning 9 months ago
Shrekoning
Bernie is a socialist, but all of his polices are more akin to the Nordic model than the USSR. Plus, the USSR could not handle the spending war with the USA, that's why it collapsed. If the two nations had not been locked in a bitter ideological and economic war, the USSR would still be around today. So, its not like once a country implements socialism, it is suddenly bound by fate to fail. Frankly, to say America could not accomplish Socialism if it wished is un-American. Not saying, I want a full socialist model, but still.