FairDebater
Pfalcon1318

Socialism (non-extreme(communism)) is more just than capitalism

FairDebater

Pro

This debate is strictly to establish whether socialism is more just than capitalism. The form of socialism I am referring to is not communism, but rather a people's government such as Norway.

Please make sure that you have a full understanding of the difference between capitalism, socialism, and communism.

If you have any information that I do not know, I am open to learning anything new. If I make a mistake, please correct me and cite your evidence.

Round 1 is for opening arguments only, the other rounds are for arguments for and against.

Please do not leave this debate until it has ended. Please keep a civil tongue (not flaming) and have fun- This is for a learning experience.
Pfalcon1318

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

Before we begin, we need to ensure an understanding of terms by both myself and my opponent, as debaters, and from the audience, as potential readers and voters.

I am going to make sure that I explicitly define the terms that my opponent has failed to define, to ensure that neither he nor I becomes capable of twisting a term in our favor, due to lack of an explicitly stated definition.

Definitions from merriam-webster.com

Capitalism:

1. a way of organizing an economy so that the things that are used to make and transport products (such as land, oil, factories, ships, etc.) are owned by individual people and companies rather than by the government

2. an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

Socialism

1. any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods

2. Two Possible Definitions

1. a system of society or group living in which there is no private property

2. a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state

3. a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done

Just

1. having a basis in or conforming to fact or reason : reasonable <a just but not a generous decision>

2. archaic : faithful to an original

3. conforming to a standard of correctness : proper <just proportions>

1. acting or being in conformity with what is morally upright or good :

I would also like to define a term that is often assumed to mean capitalism.

Corporatism:

1. the organization of a society into industrial and professional corporations serving as organs of political representation and exercising control over persons and activities within their jurisdiction

So, in this debate, I will be arguing that socialism is not more just than capitalism. This means that I have to argue, support, and prove to the audience that A) capitalism and socialism are equally just/unjust, OR B) that capitalism is more just than socialism.

The definitions that seem most applicable to me are:

As the definitions for Capitalism and Socialism entail very similar, if not the same, things (with respect to their definitions), the only definition that I think has to be explicitly stated is for the word “just”, and, if I am inferring correctly, definition three (3) is the best definition to use. Both of us will have to argue for a morally objective standard to which just will apply, unless my opponent wishes to address this in the comments section; I would prefer we utilize the same morality standard for this debate.

I will presume that Burden of Proof is being shared.

PRO has not stated that there will be any removal of conduct points for failure to post an opening argument; no PRO argument has been offered, but PRO stated Round 1 is for opening arguments .I shall thus defer to round 2, when my opponent has presented his opening statements.

I look forward to the official start of this debate, and PRO’s opening arguments.

FairDebater

Pro

FairDebater forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

I shall defer so my opppnent can present the argument.
FairDebater

Pro

FairDebater forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

My opponent has forfeited twice now. I have no desire to continue this debate.

Audience members, if you come across this debate, please DO NOT vote. This debate contains no arguments, and I am unwilling to debate any longer. I allowed my opponent ample time to respond, giving PRO an extra round to present arguments.

Perhaps, at a later time, I will debate this topic with someone who will not forfeit, but as it stands now, my desire to debate has run its course.
FairDebater

Pro

FairDebater forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
FairDebater

Pro

FairDebater forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
Posted by FairDebater 2 years ago
FairDebater
My apologies. I was on a 4 hour flight and was unable to post my argument
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
I won't be going easy one you; that would be disrespectful. But I will suggest that you make every effort to find the holes in your arguments before you post them. Check a few websites that focus on formal logic and logical fallacies and avoid them as much as you can.

I will make it a point to address these things as the come. You might be young, but that has nothing to do with your ability to reason, and rationally express yourself; you'd be surprised how many times my younger (7, 8, 9) year old cousins have surprised me when they told me why they thought something or felt something.

Take your time, use your head. Think of exactly what it is you want to prove, and support it with FACTS and LOGIC. Chances are that you won't have much to worry about in terms of etiquette. And everything prior to this paragraph are tips of debate style, if you need them.
Posted by FairDebater 2 years ago
FairDebater
My apologies to Pfalcon1318, this is my first debate, and I am in the 7th grade. I am very new to the standards set in this website. I am sorry in advance for any errors in etiquette and style.
Posted by blaze8 2 years ago
blaze8
my bad, I switched "than" and "just" when I read it.
Posted by FairDebater 2 years ago
FairDebater
whether Socialism is more fair to its people than Capitalism.
Posted by blaze8 2 years ago
blaze8
What do you mean by "more than just capitalism"?