Socialist government programs make people selfish

sixicks has forfeited round #2.

This debate is on whether implementing socialist government programs will make people more selfish (Pro) or keep them content and happy (Con).I would like my opponent to know that this is not a debate in socialism in general, but simply this topic alone. While I will not be opening with any arguments for round one, I don't mind what my opponent chooses to do.

Best of luck!

Pro goes first.

All the time, I hear that capitalism and the free market create people whose only preoccupation is themselves, while socialism teaches people to rely on each other and hold each other up. Well the point of this debate is for me to prove that logic wrong, and show that the opposite is true, and that capitalism creates self reliant, caring people, and that socialism creates selfishness and self entitlement. May it also be known to my opponent that in our last debate, I did not find it funny that instead of giving a logical response to my side, you simply replied with a joke, and I hope that this time will be different. In any way, good luck.

To begin my side of the argument, I would like to talk about something US president Barrack Obama did in 2010, he told to an audience of young adults that they can remain reliant on their parents health insurance until they are 26. Instead of finding this demeaning that the government had no faith in them to survive on their own, they cheered, they were happy that they didn't have to survive on their own, but this still didn't make them happy. I guarantee that many of those same people who cheered for that are the same people advocating for free health care paid for by the government. It wasn't enough that they didn't have to take care of their own health care for a good third of their life, but they wanted more. In a capitalist society, when people would learn to rely on themselves for health care on where never taught that it was ok to be so self entitled that this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion, but it is. Our country (United States) is being taught to want more. No matter how much society gets, people want more.

You see, what the welfare state gives us, they teach us to think of as entitlements, something they MUST give us, so why would we be thankful. When you were a kid, how often did you thank your parents for giving you food or providing you with a bed, almost never right. In some cases, you may have even complained that you didn't like the food or that your room was to hot or cold. In any way, this is a problem with society. In the same way that a kid can grow up spoiled and find it ok to reject meals that don't meet their standards, people of the welfare state will always demand more from their government.

Now, on to the topic of capitalism, many think that because people who are part of the free market care for themselves that that means they are selfish, and don't care about the well being of others, well lets refer to my previous analogy of kids who are picky eaters. Let's say that a kid grows up poor, and instead of being given food every night, he is in charge of making his own meals off of his own allowance, which means he goes to the store and picks out food for the month, and he has to follow a budget. Do you think that kid will act the same as the spoiled child, no. He will be happy with what he can afford, and this will teach him a very valuable lesson.

This is why we teach kids to say thank you when we give them something, when we pay children for doing chores, they are often thankful for the opportunity to make a profit. But if parents give children $10 a week for doing nothing, the kid grows up relying on his parents, and finds it unfair when he is an adult that he has to care for himself, and that there is no one else to sustain his lifestyle for him.

So, in short, capitalism, because it teaches people to rely on themselves and to be thankful for what they receive and to work hard for what they receive, produces selfless and caring people. While socialism, because it teaches people that they are entitled to what they receive, and don't need to work for it, produces selfish people whose only preoccupation becomes themselves.

Thanks for reading and again, good luck.
Posted by GrimlyF 2 months ago
You say this is not a debate on socialism in general so which part of socialism are you debating?.