hayley333
Stonewall

Society creates an image for teens to follow

Stonewall

hayley333

Con

It's no question that society creates an image for teenagers to follow everyday. When teens see an image of someone who look so "perfect" in a form of media, they want to be just like them. This causes tons of problems like anorexia, drug use, underage drinking, and even suicide. If society thinks it's okay to photo shop photos then they are way off because it makes teens overuse makeup and even have eating disorders due to the fact that they are not the definition of perfect. Then you see famous people getting drunk or even smoking weed and teens think it's automatically okay because the people that did these things are what seems to be not affected by their actions. Also, ecstasy has become very popular since singers sang songs about how cool it is but in reality it can kill you! These are many reasons that celebrities and media have impacted our lives and there are tons more, but I think you get my point.
Stonewall

Pro

I assume this debate, then, is not whether society creates an image for teens for follow, but whether this image is a positive or a negative one. If this is not the case, my opponent can correct me next round.

The real issue behind this is not whether society in general imposes these skewed ideas of "perfect", but why our society tries to make it our teens' problem. These celebs can act however they want, and why do teens think that's a good thing? It's not the celebs' faults; it's the parents of these teens who should be telling their kids, "That is not okay." Do you think I see these drugged-up or sexed-up celebs and think, "I should try that"? Of course not; my parents taught me right and wrong, good and bad. Society and the media doesn't say, "This is good" or "this is bad". It's the teens who interpret it. I see these celebs and think: Wow, that's stupid. Others watch and think: I should be more like them. That is not the media's fault; the blame falls solely on the parents.
hayley333

Con

hayley333 forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

Points extended.
hayley333

Con

hayley333 forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

Points extended. Vote for whoever made the better argument.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
hayley333StonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: All points go to pro. Con FF'd.