JGunn
Scyrone

Society is machine of conditioning

JGunn

Pro

The purpose of society is to condition those within it to become acceptable by the fickle standards it has set. To some degree this is a good thing, but now-a-days, with the internet shrinking the world, societal conditioning does more harm than good. when we should be looking to be developing a uniform, world society, we still condition as individual societies.

Conditioning by society has many examples a few of my favorite are: your name (you did not get to pick your name. society told our parents which names were acceptable and from that list your parents picked your name); your religion ( i am not saying religion was defined by society, but the one that you practice, especially if practiced from birth, you have been conditioned to fit within that religion); and finally choice (the whole idea of choice is controlled by society. scientifically free will does not exist. our brain will always choose the option it already knows because it requires less synapses to work so if at an early age you were exposed to the societally aceptable options in your life then as you progressed through your days you would make the choices society wanted you to make without even knowing it.)
Scyrone

Con

"you did not get to pick your name. society told our parents which names were acceptable and from that list your parents picked your name"

Maybe in your society, but not mine. I have been given a name by my parents (the people who know more about me than everyone except for myself). If it were not for them then I would not be alive. I owe it to them to have that name. BUT, there is a way of being able to change your name. Therefore, society does not control your name. I'll name a few examples of how society does not control your name. Anton LaVey, the founder of the Church of Satan, named his latest son Satan Xerxes LaVey. The majority of American society would most likely not accept this as a real name to be given, but it was given and it is. In China, there was a woman who named her son the symbol for ‘@' in Chinese. She did not change it, and I am sure society would wanted to have given him another name. But then again, does society care about every single babies birth name?

"i am not saying religion was defined by society, but the one that you practice, especially if practiced from birth, you have been conditioned to fit within that religion"

Actually no, I can change my religion anytime I wish. Sometimes you are stuck with it, not by society, but by how you were raised. Society does not condition your religion just as it does not choose your name. For example, I used to be a Christian, and then I found no God to exist by evidence. I indulged myself and became a Satanist (Satanism is not the worship of Satan). The religion that I grew up in in a multiple of societies helped change my view.

"the whole idea of choice is controlled by society. scientifically free will does not exist. our brain will always choose the option it already knows because it requires less synapses to work so if at an early age you were exposed to the societally aceptable options in your life then as you progressed through your days you would make the choices society wanted you to make without even knowing it"

The whole idea of choice is controlled by the individual. Take Serial Killers for example. Some were brought up in good homes; does that make them conditioned by society to do good things? No. They went out and killed a bunch of people without society's permission. They were not conditioned by society. They choose for themselves. Free will does exist. It is a human quality (suddenly sprouting wings and flying away is not free will and free will does not have to be carried out by an action). I can go, take my knives and my whip, and go to my local Church, and kill a bunch of people. I can, but I do not want to. Not because society has conditioned me, but because I don't want to go to jail (free food does sound good, and so does my alone time, but the idea of a bunch of inmates whom went against societies laws does not sound good to me).

Choice is not a conditioning by society. Choice is the idea that comes before society. You can either choose to follow society, or break away from it. Society in general is constantly arguing and infighting nowadays that nothing is ever completely controlling in society. All things human are possible.
JGunn

Pro

JGunn forfeited this round.
Scyrone

Con

Next argument please.

I have alot more debating to do. Not everyone is "in a car crash" or "just doesn't have the time" to debate.
JGunn

Pro

JGunn forfeited this round.
Scyrone

Con

Thank you for posting the subject. Dont run away from your debates. And why must it be 100 characters minimum?
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
JGunnScyroneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by Ethereal 9 years ago
Ethereal
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by Evan_MacIan 9 years ago
Evan_MacIan
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by RMK 9 years ago
RMK
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by NSG 9 years ago
NSG
JGunnScyroneTied
Vote Placed by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
JGunnScyroneTied