PomegranateHamster
Illegalcombatant

Society needs a Serial Killer like Dexter Morgan

Illegalcombatant

PomegranateHamster

Pro

I'd like to thank who ever accepts this debate, I hope is of benefit for us both.

~=~= Definition ~=~=

Society: the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

Serial Killer: someone who murders more than three victims one at a time, in a relatively short interval.

Needed: require something because it is essential or very important.

Dexter Morgan: a character from the Tv series "Dexter" played by Michael C. Hall.

Side Info & Note: Dexter Morgan is a serial killer like no other, he kills those that have killed and to his belief deserve to be dead. I will also like to tell the opponent he/she may deny these definitions and put forward his/her own.
~=~= Pro & Con ~=~=

Pro: Chosen by me I will protect my case by trying to persuade the opponent and audience that a serial killer like Dexter Morgan is needed in our society.

Con: Will be chosen by who ever may accept this debate. He/she will protect their case trying to persuade me and the audience that a serial killer like Dexter Morgan nor any type of serial killer is needed in our society.

~=~= Rules ~=~=

1. Round one will be for acceptance, we will move forward from there.
2. Please refrain from making insulting comments that may hurt the feelings of the opponent or someone in the audience.
3. All forms of resources can be used such as; videos and links. Please make video sources under five minutes.
4. If you accept this debate please make sure that you will be able to finish it, otherwise do not accept.
5. Have fun and be creative. I love to learn and debating makes it fun, therefore I conclude good luck and let the debate begin.

Side note: If the opponent wants to put forward a rule of his/her own he/she may do so.
Illegalcombatant

Con

This is round one, this is me accepting.

Video may not be longer than 5 mins per round. I personally don't plan to use any, but ya never know.

I look forward to Pros opening argument.
PomegranateHamster

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for accepting the debate, let's begin.

First I'd like to begin to give a brief description of Dexter Morgan and how we in his own way helps society, by executing the killers he catches. Dexter Morgan works for the Miami Police Department in the Tv series, his job is blood splatter. Where ever there is blood he is there to try and solve the case, he looks at the patterns of the blood and concludes how and at times why the killer killed. He then waits and sees if the government will truly give justice, but he states in the first episode that the Miami Police Department only has a rating of 20% when it comes to catching criminals. That's when he steps in, when he sees that a man/woman has not received the punishment they deserve he takes matters into his own hands and takes out the trash. But there is a code that Dexter Morgan lives by you see, he will only kill if he finds out for sure that the killer will wind up killing again. Only after this whole process has occurred, is that he moves on with his execution.[1] Now for my contentions.

~=~= Contentions ~=~=

UNSOLVED CRIME RATE IN U.S.A

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 2004 there was over 1,367,009 violent crimes. From all these crimes only 46.3% of the criminals were caught. Meaning over 53.7% of those criminals walked, and probably are still walking our streets to this date.[2] We can see that when it comes to catching the criminals and killers of this country, our government has not succeeded to It's full potential. Therefore I see now probable reason why it will be bad, to have a man that will take these criminals and killers out of our streets, and make a safer and securer society. Not only will he be doing the government a favor by finishing the job they couldn't complete because of the laws they have to obey, but he will give us the closure and security and to the victims the justice we need.

TAX MONEY NOT WASTED

When a person is convicted of a violent crime he is convicted from months to years in jail, I will like to point out that while the criminal is behind bars it is us the citizens of the United States that pay for him to be able to be in jail. It cost on average $78.95 a day to maintain them. So on average it cost us citizens $28,835 a year to maintain them behind bars. Just on one criminal we waste almost $30,000 a year, which is extremely sad.[3] So I ask the opponent and the audience why pay $30,000 a year for a criminal when we can get rid of them and use that money for the kids in school for their education? Also I will understand that if we we're to pay all this money but that at least during the time that the criminals we're in jail, they were being rehabilitated and will come out as a new and better citizen but they don't. They come out the same way, the went in and will most likely commit a crime again.

~=~= Conclusion ~=~=

A serial killer like Dexter Morgan with his unethical ways will make our streets safer. He will finish the job that the government couldn't finish and will make a better society. Our tax money will be saved and used in more essential and useful things such as education. To conclude the world would benefit from a Dexter Morgan, and will benefit from him doing his job taking out the criminals that endanger our society.

~=~= Sources ~=~=

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)
[2] http://www.fbi.gov...
[3] http://www.creditloan.com...
Illegalcombatant

Con

I thank Pro for their opening argument.

I won't challenge pros contention about crime stats or unsolved crimes, suffice to say crime happens and unsolved crimes exist. I doubt what exactly the stats are will become an issue in this debate.

TAX MONEY NOT WASTED

Any system will cost money. A justice system is no different.

Now unto my arguments......

1) Dexter is one sick puppy

Although Pro presents Dexter as some kind of high minded vigilante, Pro conveniently leaves out some dark disturbing facts about Dexter. Dexter doesn't kill as a means to an end, but rather Dexter kills because he has a strong over whelming uncontrollable desire to "kill", this is often referred to by Dexter as his dark passenger......"Originally, the Dark Passenger was Dexter's way of naming the "desire to kill" that's buried into his body. This Dark Passenger is always trying to claim him, wanting him to kill but he keeps it at bay with a high level of control...and instead of focusing his kills on innocents, only uses it on those he knows are guilty (and have their own passengers)." [1]

Lets be clear here, the MAIN reason that Dexter kills the bad guys is NOT to satisfy some hunger for justice, but rather as a way to satisfy his hunger to kill. Justice and killing bad guys is just the rationalization he gives himself in order to do what he does.

In order to emphasis this point consider what wikipedia says... Dexter structures his killing around "Harry's code", a body of ethics and procedures devised by his adoptive father Harry Morgan (who was a Miami cop) to make sure Dexter never gets caught and to ensure that Dexter kills only other killers. Harry also trained Dexter in how to interact convincingly with other people despite his dissociative mental illness, which Harry believed to be psychopathy, arising from Dexter witnessing the brutal murder of his biological mother, Laura Moser. [2]

You will notice that any sense of justice or morals for Dexter kills, is only because his adoptive parent recognized Dexters drive to kill, and would become a serial killer no matter what. So rather than try and stop the killing, Harry tries to channel this desire to kill into some sort of moral frame work, as well as teaching him how not to get caught for his kills.

Once again, Dexter does not kill for justice, he kills because he has an over whelming desire to kill. Having a person or persons such as Dexter roaming around, is not only unnecessary, but a really really bad idea. Giving a person like Dexter the green light to kill, is handing over the asylum to the inmates.

2) A Dexter like person is against our modern principles of justice

Dexter is law maker, judge, jury, police and executioner.

There is a reason why in the western world, the various powers of the state are broken up into different institutions and different offices. In Dexters world, he makes the law, he decides the rules of evidence, he decides who is guilty and he of course does the killing. Yes in Dexters world he never makes a mistake, but in television land he is granted those super detective powers. In the real world a real Dexter will make mistakes, just like the rest of us. There is no appeals in the court of Dexter.

Sure this is alot cheaper than having a justice system that we are familiar with in the western world, but Dexter's justice isn't really a justice system, its something at his own personal whims.

3) The long term consequences of allowing a Dexter to run around are overwhelming negative

In order for a Dexter to operate in real life, a sick puppy is taken of the leash, and the principles of modern justice are thrown out the window, not only is this not necessary, its just a plain bad idea.

I look forward to Pros reply.

[1] http://dexter.wikia.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
PomegranateHamster

Pro

PomegranateHamster forfeited this round.
Illegalcombatant

Con

Extend arguments to this round, and say no to drugs mmmmmkay.
PomegranateHamster

Pro

Illegalcombatant

Con

Vote for the Con or Dexter will get you.
Posted by PomegranateHamster 5 years ago
PomegranateHamster
I modified one of the rules, no videos over five minutes can be used as sources.
PomegranateHamster
Sure, I'll change that.
Posted by Illegalcombatant 5 years ago
Illegalcombatant
Can we put a limit on the time amount of video per round like 5 mins ? I don't plan to use video links but never the less I don' think anyone really wants to watch a debate with say 20 mins of video per round.
Vote Placed by BennyW 5 years ago
BennyW
PomegranateHamsterIllegalcombatantTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
PomegranateHamsterIllegalcombatantTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfiet