PeriodicPatriot
GarretKadeDupre

Softball and baseball are different

GarretKadeDupre
Started: 12/31/2013 Category: Sports

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

First round is acceptance.
    1. forfeits or concessions will be a 7-point lost

1. Conclusion in round five

1. must show 1 video for 1 round only

1. Have fun
GarretKadeDupre

Con

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

In softball, there is a larger and softer ball and a smaller field than baseball. Let's clear out some definitions:

Softball- http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Baseball- http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Softball is supposed to be baseball for girls and baseball is for boys, but there is a mens' league for softball. They are the same for the number of players and the arrangements.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...;
GarretKadeDupre

Con

Is Softball different than Baseball?

That depends on what the definition of “is” is.(1)

Let's clear out some more definitions: Within this debate, “is” shall mean “isn't” when comparing or contrasting Softball and Baseball; “are” shall mean “aren't” in the same context.

The legal precedent I've provided trumps your sourcing of “freedictionary.com”.

Thusly, the resolution is negated.

• Softball is supposed to be baseball for girls and baseball is for boys, but there is a mens' league for softball. They are the same for the number of players and the arrangements.”

False. Also, your sources for these claims are not valid, since they cite Wikipedia which can be edited by anyone (including myself!).

(1) http://jurist.law.pitt.edu...

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

In Softball, the ball is bigger, but less dense. The pitching rubber is 43 feet away from Home Plate. The bats used in Softball are smaller. The bases are 60 feet apart from each other. You cannot take a lead before the ball is released by the pitcher. The infield consists only of dirt. The Corners play up by the pitcher. Softball consists of running slaps from the left side. The fence is 200 feet from Home Plate. Softball uses an underhand pitching technique called a 'Windmill'. A softball pitcher can start and finish a game, or even pitch a double header because the pitching technique is more of a natural motion than in Baseball.
In Baseball, the ball is smaller, more dense. The pitching mound is 60 ft and 6 inches from Home Plate. The bats are bigger than in Softball. It's 90 feet to each base. You can lead off the bag before the ball is pitched. There is grass in the infield and dirt in the infield. The fence is typically 300 feet from Home Plate. Baseball uses an overhand pitching motion. A baseball pitcher usually does not finish a game and is relieved by another pitcher, and requires rest after a game since the pitching motion is not as natural as the pitching technique in softball.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

Keeping in mind the definition of the verb “to be” that my opponent has effectively conceded to, it is astounding the extent to which she just attacked against her own case:
  • In Softball, the ball is [not] bigger [...] The bats used in Softball are [not] smaller.[…] In Baseball, the ball is [not] smaller [...] The bats are [not] bigger than in Softball.”

It is obvious that the bulk of her argumentation is actually in favor of my position.

Vote Con! Thanks everyone.

PeriodicPatriot

Pro

You should be showing proof and not correct me. Now, on to my argument.

Youth baseball programs, particularly at the advanced levels, feature a pitching mound that the pitcher throws from (the younger levels may call for hitters to hit off a tee or from a ball pitched from their coach). That isn't the case in softball — at any level. The pitcher delivers balls on level ground with the batter. The other major pitching difference is that softball pitchers deliver the ball in an underhand motion; baseball pitchers can throw overhand or even sidearm if they choose. The game of fast-pitch softball puts a greater emphasis on pitching, because the pitcher throws from a distance much closer to home plate than in baseball. At the beginning levels of youth softball, pitchers generally deliver pitches about 35 feet from home plate. At the higher levels of play, pitchers throw balls from 40 feet. The base paths in softball are several feet shorter than those in baseball. When pitchers throw from 35 feet, the bases typically are 55 feet apart; when pitchers deliver balls from 40 feet, the bases usually are 60 feet apart. The smaller base paths in turn create a smaller infield area, which affects the defense of the infielders. Outfield measurements vary greatly. A common distance from home plate to the outfield fence in softball is 150 feet for the younger kids, while for the older kids it extends to 225 to 250 feet. A regulation softball is significantly larger than a regulation baseball. A softball measures between 11.88 and 12.13 inches in circumference and weighs between 6.25 and 7.00 ounces; a baseball measures between 9.00 and 9.25 inches in circumference and weighs between 5.00 and 5.25 ounces.Sometimes, leagues for the youngest softball players use smaller and softer softballs, because a girl's hand at the beginning levels of play isn't big enough to grip and throw a regulation softball. At the youth level, bats used for baseball and softball are interchangeable. At the advanced levels of play, players use softball-specific bats, which come in a variety of different materials, such as graphite, carbon, Kevlar, and liquid metal, to name a few. Many softball programs only allow specific types of bats to be used.

I've played softball before, and we were taught about this.
GarretKadeDupre

Con

That is all completely false.

I've played both baseball and softball before, and we were taught that they are exactly the same.
PeriodicPatriot

Pro

Conclusion: Softball and baseball are different. Vote PRO!
GarretKadeDupre

Con

"Conclusion: Softball and baseball are [not] different."

Given my opponent's aforementioned concession on the definition of the verb "to be" when comparing or contrasting Softball & Baseball, it appears that she has conceded.

Thanks for this debate, and vote Con!

Posted by The_Master_Riddler 3 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
In all actuality, the neg contradicted himself. He said that the definition of "is" is to not be or "is not". However, that would in fact change the resolution from baseball and softball is different to baseball and softball is not different. Thus, the neg would have conceded to the aff's arguments.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Well......................... they have different names, to start.
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
what is exactly the same?
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
what is exactly the same?
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Well, because this is a fact. Allow me to explain.

The magnitude of "different" can range from the size of the universe (compared to another multiverse) to the size of an atom. The very fact that a softball is bigger than a baseball is enough to win the debate.

However, if you changed the title to "very different" someone would accept.
Posted by PeriodicPatriot 3 years ago
PeriodicPatriot
Why does everyone say something bad about my debates? I want to be creative andbhave fun.
Posted by Spamkybones 3 years ago
Spamkybones
I'd love to accept something that is an actual debate
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
I'd accept this, but I agree with you. Both are too similar to be considered different.
Posted by alevan 3 years ago
alevan
That's your job as pro
Posted by PeriodicPatriot 3 years ago
PeriodicPatriot
Then prove it.
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 3 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
PeriodicPatriotGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: My reason for decision is a tie. Why should I waste my time voting to not give points to one person? The reason why is because this is not a topic. This is a straight up fact. Baseball and Softball are different point blank. The pro is supposed to have the BoP to prove they are different and did that flawlessly, BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING TO PROVE. I was very confused on the Neg's arguments and to me the only proof neg had to say to win was that something that is similar to another is the same and that since they have similar rules they are the same and that in my opinion would have won you the debate under the aff's outrageous fact debate. Conduct also goes to noone because the topic is deserving of a bad conduct, but Con's topicality was also just as bad.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
PeriodicPatriotGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate had both its surprising and predictable moments. Con played an interesting (and frankly, stupid) card, saying that "to be" meant the opposite. Normally, I wouldn't let that kind of thing win, but Pro seemed to pretend that his argument had never been made. Pro: I don't care how ridiculous an argument is; REFUTE IT. Because of the argument going unquestioned, Everything Pro said technically supported Con's case. Consequently, even though Con didn't argue much, he really didn't have to. What was unfortunately predictable is that Pro doesn't know how to debate. In a hilarious turn of events, Con receives arguments on the grounds of topicality. I'm still giving Pro conduct, though. Let's face it. That was cheap.