briannegilbert17
MastrDebator

Softball is harder than baseball.

MastrDebator
Started: 5/30/2014 Category: Sports

briannegilbert17

Pro

first one to accept!
MastrDebator

Con

First of all, Softball and Baseball are essentially the same.
From your username and your position upon this topic I assume that you are a female.
Softball and baseball have pretty much the same rules.
You hold the burden of proof. You must provide evidence that shows softball is harder than baseball. All I must do, as the "Con" supporter, is prove that softball is either easier or the same difficulty as baseball.
The biggest difference between the two in the eye of the common observer is the pitching technique. The baseball technique is overhand while the softball technique is "The Windmill". While the baseball technique is better for more accurate throws, it sacrifices speed. While the softball technique is better for faster throws, it sacrifices accuracy. While both sports have accurate and fast throwing players, the techniques were made for two different things. By this we see that softball and baseball is the same.
The next difference is the length from the home plate to the pitching mound. In Baseball, the mound is 60 feet and 6 inches away from the home plate; but in softball, the mound is only 35-43 feet away. While this may be because the technique is made for faster and less accurate throws, it still shows that in this aspect softball is EASIER than baseball.
The minimum home run fence in baseball is 250 feet from the home base to the center of the gate. In softball, the minimum is 220 feet.
Baseball games are 2 innings longer than softball games, requiring more energy and endurance to play.
In ties, baseball is also harder. When a tie occurs in baseball, the teams just keep going for innings until someone scores. In softball they do the same thing but they put a runner on second base at the start of every batting rotation. This makes the games last for a less period of time than baseball.
Honestly, why did you put this debate up on this site? Is it so you can feel dominate over the males or feel that you are better than someone else? Play the game for what it is meant for. FUN AND ENJOYMENT! :D
briannegilbert17

Pro

First of all, it has been proven that softball is harder than baseball because in softball since the mound is closer to the plate, batters have less time to react to if they are going to swing or not. Second of all, look up Jennie finch experiment of YouTube. I bet that will put you in your place. So it has been proven that softball is harder than baseball thank you very much. There is no one that baseball is harder than softball from what statics show. Have fun. And no need to be rude . If you didn't like this debate why did you start it?
MastrDebator

Con

I apologize if I offended the Pro debator. I did not mean to offend the debator and don't believe I have. I was simply asking why this debate was put up in the first place. I did not start this debate, the Pro did.
I have researched Jennie Finch on YouTube. Since the pro debator did not give a link i was just mindlessly searching. I looked at a couple of the videos and found nothing that stands behind the Pro's arguement.
In response to the "it has been proven that softball is harder than baseball because in softball since the mound is closer to the plate, batters have less time to react to if they are going to swing or not" arguement, there is nothing cited to tell us this has been proven. Proven means it is fact and that there has been research to show us why. Neither of those are represented or cited by the pro's arguement. Secondly, that statement is purely relative. It may be harder for the batter, but it is easier for the pitcher to be succesful. This means that the Pro side of the debate has nothing left standing. There was no refutement of all of my arguements. All arguements of mine still stand.
Lastly I would like to say something. This site is for a fun and educational debate atmosphere. By saying "I bet that will put you in your place." You assume that I am less than you and that my opinion and arguements mean nothing. You have purely wasted my time and I should have not started debating with you. Please show legitimate evidence and theories on this debate, not flimsy un-cited things that you may personally believe in, but have no facts behind.
By saying, "I bet that will put you in your place. So it has been proven that softball is harder than baseball thank you very much." you are in no way providing ANY evidence to prove that softball is harder than baseball. You only succeed in disrespecting me, this site, and everyone else's time.
MastrDebator

Con

I would like to thank the Pro for providing the link.
Since she has not provided what it was about I will save all the voters the time. The video is a "Sport Science" clip and they were debunking myths. Jennie Finch Challenged that hitting a baseball is harder than hitting a softball. Whether or not she proved her point is up to your view.
First of all, I would like to point out that I said in my last argument that even if it is harder, it all evens out. It may be harder for the batter but it is easier for the pitcher to be successful.
I would also like to show that I notified that Pro did not respond to ANY of my other numerous arguments and Pro still did not respond to them. So let those arguments stand as reasons why softball is NOT harder than baseball.

In conclusion, I would like to state the reason why I accepted this debate. I do not want either sport to be proclaimed easier or harder than the other. They are both games that are meant to be fun and play with friends and have a good time. They both serve DIFFERENT purposes and talents, and the individual player should review their talents when deciding which sport to play.
Pro, I have not meant any disrespect. I apologize for any that was given accidentally. Please when you are debating on this site, use full fledged arguments. Not "Have fun Bye", it is extremely disrespectful to me and all the other viewers. It just serves the purpose to waste our time. All it does is make you look selfishly concerned on being better than other people.
briannegilbert17

Pro

briannegilbert17 forfeited this round.
MastrDebator

Con

I apologize yet again for any disrespect that pro may have taken. I certainly did not mean it and I was just advising how pro should behave in debates like these.
briannegilbert17

Pro

briannegilbert17 forfeited this round.
MastrDebator

Con

MastrDebator forfeited this round.
Posted by T_parkour 2 years ago
T_parkour
The same amount of force applied to a larger area causes the impact in any given spot to be less.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
Softballs are not soft, Beginner, they simply leave a bigger mark when you get hit.
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
Perfect recipe for a troll debate.
Posted by Beginner 2 years ago
Beginner
The resolution is unfair. Baseballs are harder because softballs are soft (obviously)
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
briannegilbert17MastrDebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate. Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited R4 & 5. Now, considering that Con also forfeited R 5 I almost didn't award these points to either, but considering that Pro ff'd more and Con's ff was most likely reactionary I will award points to Con. For future reference Con - Do not forfeit, even if your opponent does first. It is better to simply type in "Extend all arguments". This is because the opponent never responded to your arguments due to them forfeiting the round. This means your arguments remain standing unchallenged. Keep that in mind as typing that in is always better than forfeiting b/c your opponent did first. S & G - Tie. Both made minor mistakes, therefore it balanced out. Argument - Con. Pro dropped several points raised by Con, and also did a poor job of upholding the BOP as Pro. Making claims without sourcing is also poor tactics in debates Pro, although you fixed this issue later, it still hurts. Con wins arguments due to these reasons. Sources-Tie. due to above.