Sola Scriptura

Sola Scriptura (the bible alone) is a flawed theology.
1st round is acceptance.

the problem is you didn't define the bible alone narrowly or broadly enough for me to agree with you. people aren't saying the bible is the only authority. they are saying it's the only final authority, which yes is open to interpretation. that means oral tradition as even the bible pushes for, is permissible. it just can't conflict with the bible. and no one's interpretation is best, other than what it seems to be for you a seeker of truth.

I would like to thank DairyGirl for accepting this debate. I would also like to apologize for the confusion, but also to urge you to either comment on the debate or send me a message next time you are unclear about the resolution.

To get rid of any other confusion there may be, the resolution is "The bible is the only final authority". To which, I am con.
My argument will be brief.

I think Pro and I can both agree (being Christians) that the bible is made up of divinely inspired books. But I ask of Pro, where did you get your bible? I don't mean from which store, or from which publication, but of where the books were originally compiled into the book we now know as the bible. In fact, the bible was compiled in 382 A.D. in the Council of Rome under Pope Damasus.
They set out a list of all the books they were going to put in the bible we still use today (albeit, the KJV is missing 7 of them).
At this council, they decided what was and what was not divinely inspired scripture.

So I ask you, who has more authority? The creator, or the created? The teacher, or the student?
And aren't you already subjugating yourself to the authority of the council? After all, if you're going to take the bible as divinely inspired scripture, you're going to have to trust the people who determined it to be so, aren't you?

Therefore; the bible is not "the only final authority". In fact, you can scratch out the word "only". The bible cannot be the final authority, as in trusting the bible, you must trust those who created it.

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.

Extend arguments.

we also have to take leaps of faith for the old testament. this came before the catholic church did, If that is what you are arguing for as an authority. we have faith that God will put the written inspiration together one way or another, and the rest is the bible is the only final authority, at least in terms of it can't be contradicted. really, the bible doesn't say where to get the bible, so we can say an outside authority is permissible. no one ever said the bible is the end all be all of authority. so your resolution isn't really uncontested as the bible isn't the only final authority. but your implications are contested, that the cztholic church or whatever else must be accepted is contested.

Citations from Pro's argument will be in bold.

"we also have to take leaps of faith for the old testament, this came before the catholic church did,"

What does this matter? The church still had to determine whether or not the books they were given were divinely inspired. The new testament books were written before the council as well, yet Pro conceds these.

Pro actually contradics herself midway through her paragraph.
",and the resto is the bible is the only final authority" but then proceeds to say
"no one ever said the bible is the end all be all of authority"
Perhaps a definition of final would suffice?

last: last of a number or series of similar things

allowing no change: conclusive and allowing no further discussion

ending: occurring at the end of something

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by philochristos 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit