raychel
bmbaker27

Solar energy should replace all traditional forms of energy.

raychel

Pro

What I am wondering about these figures is if the experts have included the vast improvements in alternative energy technologies that will happen in the same time frames that these figures are for. Lets take solar energy for instance, right now as we speak the efficiency just plain sucks. But you cannot tell me MIT will not figure out how to drastically improve and implement changes in the next decade. There is a real need to implement alternative energies now as stated in alternative sources of energy. We are simply running out of our main sources of generating energy, simple as that. I know that figuring something in like new technologies would be difficult, or impossible, but it would be nice to know if they had tried to, or if these figures are for the industry as they are now.
bmbaker27

Con

First I would like to thank Pro for this debate opportunity. As this is my first debate on this site I welcome any suggestions for improvement. If I could also ask for clarification from my opponent, do you mean solar should be our sole source of energy or do you mean all forms of green energy. By green energy I mean renewable sources that do not produce pollution the way traditional sources, such as fossil fuels and nuclear, have done. I will try to address both in my opening arguments just in case.
If you are suggesting solar be our only source of energy within ten years then I say that is far too optimistic. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's 2013 Annual Energy Outlook even under the most favorable conditions renewable energy would only account for 31 percent of electricity generation by 2040 while their best estimate is 16 percent. That's all renewable sources so solar, even though it is the largest source, would make up a smaller portion of that figure. This does not rule out some discovery occurring during this period that may make solar dominant but the likelihood of that happening and the proper infrastructure being built in this time is extremely small.
On the other hand if you mean renewable energy sources in general should replace our traditional ones then that is more feasible. I still disagree on it happening in 10 years or even 50. Eventually we will run out of fossil fuels but it isn't nearly as soon as most people think. We are nowhere near Peak Oil production especially with new sources not previously accounted for becoming available. The Annual Energy Outlook actually projects oil production increasing until 2020 in most scenarios before returning to present levels. In the other scenario production increases up to 2040 which is the limit of the reports projections.
I want to make my stance clear, I am not saying we shouldn't pursue renewable sources as they are our future but I do not believe in taking anything off the table when it comes to energy generation. We cannot predict what innovation in one field may benefit another but we can be sure if we stop researching then no one benefits.
raychel

Pro

raychel forfeited this round.
bmbaker27

Con

I hope my opponent returns for the third round so we can conclude this debate on more than one round. This is all I have to post since no new material has been presented.
raychel

Pro

raychel forfeited this round.
bmbaker27

Con

bmbaker27 forfeited this round.
Posted by Taylur 2 years ago
Taylur
What about the night.
What about clouds.