bossyburrito
Maikuru

Solve the riddle

Maikuru

bossyburrito

Pro

I'll post a riddle in this round. Con gets one guess. I reveal the answer in round two. If Con gets it, he gets all points. If he doesn't, I get all points.

RIDDLE:
I never was, yet always will be.
I am never seen, yet always come.
I carry nothing, but hold much for some.
Maikuru

Con

Hi everyone!

There are three reasons I accepted this debate. 1) I am a riddle FREAK! I am on riddle sites all the time and have a shelf full of riddle and lateral thinking books. I do not know the answer to this one, though. 2) I have a firm belief that I can solve any riddle that isn't some kind of trick. 3) I thought it would be cool to do a stream of consciousness thing where I type out my thought process IN REAL TIME!!!

So, without further ado, I'm going to type out my thoughts as I work on this. If I guess it, that will be a cool (and lucky lol) demonstration of problem solving. If I don't, at least the readers will understand how I arrived at my conclusion.

So, line by line:

I never was, yet always will be.

Alright, well, assuming this is literal, that eliminates a lot of things right there. This can't be an object or a person (riddles are rarely people anyway) or something that has actually existed. It could be something imaginary, though, or an idea or concept. I'm not sure about the "always will be." Always means timeless, which lends credence to it being some sort of concept rather than someone's mental creation. I don't know, I'll come back to this.

I am never seen, yet always come.

The never seen part seems redundant. We already know it never was, so it obviously wouldn't be seen. The word "come" seems really, really telling. We knew from the first line that this thing was timeless, but its state of being was in question. Now we know it comes in some way. Not many things can always be said to come...sunrise, tomorrow, the future in general, death, fate...maybe not fate, that doesn't really come. It could be time related. What's the last line? I forgot already.

"Carry" is another weighted term (get it? Carry...weight...I apologize). We know it can't carry anything physical; for three lines now, we're told in some way that this isn't a physical thing. Let me revisit that just to make sure...yeah, I just looked over the lines and it's definitely not a real thing. So it carries some significance? Some meaning. Well, it holds much. That has to mean it holds significance. Just for some, though, so whatever this meaning it, it isn't universal. That might eliminate death, which definitely means something to everyone.

What do we know?

This is something that has never physically existed, been seen, or carried anything. We're dealing with something corporeal or abstract. A shadow? That's been seen, stupid. Alright, it's a concept.

This concept will "always be." Be implies existence, which we now know isn't physical, so some kind of eternal existence beyond us. Something related to time or spirituality. Something that transcends.

This eternal concept "holds much for some," so while it transcends us, it does affect us. Again, time and spirituality are likely. It's one of those. Let's run through with both. I'll repost the riddle so I don't have to keep scrolling.

I never was, yet always will be.

I am never seen, yet always come.

Time

This doesn't really fit. Time doesn't come and I don't think it holds much for some. It would have to be either tomorrow or the future. Neither of them ever was, yet they always will be. Neither is ever seen, yet they always come. They literally carry nothing but they hold much significance for some. Those two are good.

God

This doesn't make sense anymore. God has been seen and he "was" in the sense that he existed. The term spirituality in general doesn't work either. Spirituality never was? Alright, this isn't it. Ignore this everyone. I said ignore it, damn it!

My Guess

It's either "tomorrow" or "the future." I keep going through line by line and they both work. It's hard because tomorrow is technically the future but I know riddles need specific answers. They both work, though. I'm confident it's one of them; they never were, but always will be. They are never seen, yet always come. They carry nothing, but hold much for some. But which one? This is frustrating and I know I'll pick the wrong one.

I'm leaning toward the future because of "I never was," which implies the past. Riddles like to provide opposites. Wait, it can just be referring to yesterday as tomorrow's opposite. Nevermind. Pull it together! I'm just going to look at the riddle for a second, hold on.

Alright, it's tomorrow. Tomorrow is said to come, not so much the future in general. Tomorrow is what holds significance for some. The future, for everyone. People depend specifically on tomorrow, though. Alright, that's my guess. Let me just do it now before I overanalysis it (he says, 5,000 characters in).

My guess is TOMORROW!

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow..."
- Macbeth

Yeah, I read.
bossyburrito

Pro

Well done!
You have won this debate! I will get you one day though...
Maikuru

Con

LOL Kotor! One of my all time favorite games, too. I have a vague memory of that scene but totally forgot the riddles. The mountain one looks like the hardest.

Anyway, well met and well played, friend. Thank you for the challenge.
Maikuru

Con

My fastest and perhaps most enjoyable debate. Big thanks to bossy for the riddle!
Posted by bossyburrito 3 years ago
bossyburrito
I'm not sure.
Posted by Smithereens 3 years ago
Smithereens
ehm, so why is this a 3 round debate?
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
I'm glad people liked the stream of consciousness thing. It was really fun and I wouldn't mind doing another debate like that somehow. I really do talk to myself in a frenetic, self-deprecating way lol.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
I'd try xD probably wouldn't get it but idk.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
I'm not very good at riddles, but I'll take a look if you have one in mind =3
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
Anyone up for another?
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
LOL I'll have to save that one.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
It doesn't help that I keep voting for you goshdurnit.

Enjoy it while you can because >> http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
That's right. I want you to remember this pain.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Dammit Maikuru, if you keep winning debates then my dream of blowing past your win/loss record will never come to be D=
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
bossyburritoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: He solved it.
Vote Placed by blackfirewolf 4 years ago
blackfirewolf
bossyburritoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hah it was cool seeing con's thoughts though out it. Annnnd riddle solved!
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 4 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
bossyburritoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Riddle solved and I liked the stream of consciousness thought process.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
bossyburritoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: He dun solved it.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 4 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
bossyburritoMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good job Maikuru. It was interesting to read your thoughts in solving the riddle; you definitely solved it faster than I would have.