Some materials from books and games should be used in real life.

Started: 6/13/2012 Category: Technology

I challenge anyone to a debate on the topic of some of the materials from books and games should be used in real life. I shall argue 'Yes'. The terms are simply this: The debate must be respectful and the debate should also stay on topic. Apart from that anything else is allowed and it shall be 'the survival of the fittest'. I eagerly await my opponent

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and I wish him luck.

I have seen many books in my lifetime and there are quite some interesting materials inside some of them. A lot of things that could actually be helpful aren't been made. One of the things that I have seen and is possibly my favorite of them all is something that would make you 'invisible'. It consists of many screens and cameras. There are tiny screen with even tinier cameras on them. These cameras are linked to the cameras directly opposite of them. What the cameras see are displayed on the screen so that from which ever angle you are looking all you see is what is directly behind this invisibility suit. It would be quite useful for agents who work in stealth.

While perhaps these concepts from fiction shoudl be used, it makes much more sense to simply create the ideas from real life itself. Using his example, why use this description from fiction, when it would be much more efficient to research what would actually work in the real world and create based on that.

Nice argument Magicr.

It might make more sense to create the ideas from real life itself but when you really think about it all of those ideas in books and games are created from real life itself. All of these ideas are created by humans to provide understanding to their knowledge. Since all of these ideas come from a person's imagination and a person's imagination is quite real, I believe that some of these ideas, in a way, are real too. If you decide to go even further you would realize that these are actually real ideas that are given to the world in other forms. There are those scientists that get their ideas and then start working on them but there are also the people that get their ideas and just give them to the world. There are of course some ideas that are given to the world which seem completely impossible. Some of these ideas could manifest themselves in real life later on. An example of something that seemed completely impossible until some time ago would be flying. A long time ago people thought flying would be completely impossible but now there are even more than 350,000 airplanes worldwide.
With these looked over the only category left is the category of those that are completely impossible. These ideas can still be used in real life as an inspiration for something different.
Thank you for reading and good luck.

* The Wright brothers were the first to make a full piloted, heavier than air, self propelled craft.

If all ideas in books come from real life, then it makes no sense to have to argue that they should be used in real life. If they already come from real life, then they must already be used in real life. My opponent has said that ideas are already real, thus everything in a book is already real, no need to use it in real life, it is already in use in real life. There is no argument.

I'm sorry Magicr but it seems you have misunderstood what I was trying to say. Even though the ideas from books are real, they are not being used in the world. It's like a person making something but keeping it buried under the ground. Even though it is there it isn't being used.
The other thing is that by real life I meant day to day life. The everyday life that people live in. The ideas are real but they are nothing more than ideas until someone or something decide to make them more than that.
I'll now go back to the idea about the Wright brothers making the first full piloted,heavier than air, self propelled craft.
The idea was real when the Wright brothers got it. But even though the idea was real was it being manifested in real life?
I really don't think so.
I believe my argument still stands.
But still, thank you Magicr for that wonderful argument.

My opponent seems to have a lot of interesting examples of how ideas can be used in "everyday life" however I have yet to hear any reason why ideas from books should be used in real life.

Thanks again Magicr and I wish you good luck.

Since you want a reason of why some materials from books should be used in everyday life I will give you one.

1. There are smart people that write they're ideas in books instead of telling people.

Just because someone is smart does not mean that their ideas should be used in everday life. There are many smart people who do not always produce useful ideas.

I believe my opponent has failed to prove that ideas from books should be used in life as he has only given one such reason and I have just refuted it.

I thank him for this debate.

Vote Con!
Posted by Doulos1202 4 years ago
Not much of a debate here, Pro definitely as this geared toward an easy win for him.
Posted by duane 4 years ago
Since there is an entire genre of books called self-improvement, it would be difficult to argue Con to this position.

Also, as someone who has personally used materials from instruction manuals in real life, I feel Pro has a strong advantage in this debate.
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
The word "some" somewhat slants the debate in the Pro's direction. This is fairly one sided, but I'd be interested in watching it.
Vote Placed by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: S/G was obvious. Args to Con I guess for refuting Pro's initial point to an extent. Sources to Pro for having them. Conduct to Pro because he did prove why they should be used, Con didn't refute Pro's points to the point of the actual debate.