Annbella
omelet

Someone will get there "panties in a wad" over this debate!

Started: 4/12/2010 Category: News

Annbella

Pro

Someone will get uptight about this debate! Inplying that i'm "Stupid" and they are "how you say SMART!". My words will get all twisted around. Because DDO debaters take this to seriously!
omelet

Con

I negate the resolution.

I. Incoherence
The resolution is not a coherent statement. The word "there" does not seem to make any sense in the resolution.

Even if my opponent had used "their" in the resolution, it would make no sense, because "their" is plural and "someone" is singular.

II. Literally unlikely
It is unlikely that this debate will cause anyone to get his/her panties in a wad. The overwhelming majority of men do not wear panties; panty-wearing men are negligible. Men are the majority of debate.org users; 6237 members are female[1] and 11,826 members are male [2]. Note that these numbers are likely to change slightly.
Even for the relatively small portion of users who wear panties, there is no known mechanism by which this debate might cause a panty-wearing user to get her panties to a wad.

It is likely that either myself or my opponent will forfeit at least one round, which prevents the debate from appearing on the front page when it is completed. This will further reduce the number of people who will see this debate. I will refer to this as the forfeiture effect. Even if there was a mechanism by which this debate could cause panty-wadding some percentage of the time, this effect lowers its chances of happening.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://www.debate.org...

III. Idiomatically unlikely
A few sources consider "getting one's panties in a wad" to be a valid English idiom. These are by and large slang dictionaries such as urbandictionary. I personally do not see this as a valid source on the English language, but there are no doubt some of you who do, so I will address this idiomatic example.

To get one's panties in a wad over something is said to mean to become upset about that thing.

It is unlikely that anyone will be upset about this debate.

First, I'll cite the forfeiture effect - few people will see this debate, which reduces the chances of anyone becoming upset about it.

Second, as of right now, there are 8 comments - none of them seem to be overly upset about this debate. Rather, people seem to be humored by the obvious parody of inane debates with pointless resolutions and arguments. It is likely that if someone was upset, they would have posted a comment telling PRO how much they don't like what he's done. FREEDO posted a comment saying "This debate really upsets me!", but that comment was obviously a humorous reflection rather than his true feelings. IF my opponent wishes, I can contact FREEDO for his testimony on the matter.

Given that no one is upset currently, and few people will see this debate later, there is a very low chance of someone becoming upset as a result of this debate.

That is all for now. I thank my opponent for putting up this challenge and I look forward to the rest of the debate.
Annbella

Pro

Dang you would think that people would know that i dont like it when people type really long Debate because i have ADD and if you make something to long then i will lose intrest and look at something else so can you makae what u just said into a summary!!!!! ^_^
omelet

Con

I'd be happy to.

First, I pointed out that the resolution does not make sense because the grammar is incorrect. A grammatically incorrect statement cannot be true.

Second, I pointed out that the resolution, if taken literally, is very unlikely to happen; people's literal panties are very unlikely to become wadded as a result of this debate. "Panties in a wad" is not standard English, so I expect some people to only accept the literal definition.

Third, I pointed out that the resolution, if taken figuratively (get one's panties in a bunch = becoming upset), then there is not a good reason to think people will become upset about this debate. I also pointed out that the comments indicate that no one is truly upset yet.

I also pointed out that not many people will see this debate. One of us will forfeit a round, which will prevent the debate from showing up on the front page and will therefore reduce the number of people who see the debate. This further reduces the likelihood of someone becoming upset.
Annbella

Pro

OK!!!!
1."pantie in a wad"

It is a figure of speech... DUH!!!! I mean did you not notice ""<------- those around "panties in a wad"

2. Grammer

I think that my grammer is fine because where I come from that is how is our grammer is so get over it!!!

3. Upset

I never said anything about someone getting "Upset" i said " uptight "

Here is the definition for Uptight and i was going for number two's definition?

http://dictionary.reference.com...=

4. My plain

I plain on going all the way unless u mess it up!!!!

VOTE PRO!!!!!
omelet

Con

RE: "It's a figure of speech"

It also has not been fully assimilated into the English language, so it doesn't really mean anything. It is a term that my opponent should have defined in the first round. I'll provide a definition, since my opponent failed to:

To get one's panties in a wad: to become upset. [1]

[1] http://onlineslangdictionary.com...

====

RE: Grammar

My opponent asserts that she thinks the resolution has fine grammar. This is inconsequential. The resolution uses improper grammar, whether my opponent thinks so or not. The word "there" cannot be properly used the way my opponent used it. As a sentence written in improper grammar, it cannot be true, and so the resolution is negated as a result of meaninglessness.

====

RE: Upset

My opponent says she never said anything about someone getting upset, and that she meant "uptight." There are a few problems here.

1. My opponent has failed to put forth a convincing case that someone will get uptight about this debate.

2. My opponent in fact did say something about someone getting upset; her first comment on this very debate reads: "Just watch people will get all upset about it i promise u it will be funny!!!!"
The comment was in response to the following comment by jonpistone2:
"I'm confused...other than panties being in a wad.....what is this debate about exactly?!?!"

That seems to be a direct indication that this debate is about people getting upset.

3. The definition for "getting one's panties in a wad" that I provided defines it as becoming upset, not uptight.

Either way, my opponent has given no evidence to support the notion that people will be upset OR uptight about this debate.

====

RE: Forfeiture

I'll drop this point. It's unnecessary, as my opponent has provided no substantial case and seemingly did not even read my first round.
Annbella

Pro

OK... i did read you first round but you made no sence i said nothing in there about people getting upset i said "uptight" those are slighty different things!

I'm sorry that you can not back up anything anymore because you dont want this to be on the frount page!!!!if you didn't want it on the frount page then why did you take the debate i could be debateing againist someone so much better and someone who would keep debateing til the end!!!!

I guess i'm done to because this is the last round and Con didn't want to finsh this debate!!!!

VOTE PRO!!!!!
omelet

Con

My opponent has not made any further points in favor of the resolution, which is to say she has not made any points at all in favor of the resolution this entire debate.
She has wholly failed in her duty as PRO, and she failed to give legitimate responses to any of my arguments.

Allow me, before I finish, to point something out to the readers. You're not voting on whether you think someone is annoyed or not. Often, voters make that mistake in meta-debates like this one. You're supposed to be voting for who made their case better. Even if everyone who views this debate gets annoyed, it's still a fact that I made more convincing arguments than my opponent, because where my opponent didn't even TRY to say "the resolution is true because X," I gave reasons why the resolution was not true.

I thank my opponent for the debate, and I thank the audience for reading and voting.
Posted by Felicity 6 years ago
Felicity
Anabella sure is providing sufficient evidence for her side in the comments section. She exhibits signs of being both upset AND uptight about this debate :) Anabella, are your "panties in a wad"?
Posted by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
Everyone said that they would vote for me and now no one but my self voted for me!!!!! thank people love you all too!!!
Posted by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
Wow thanks people!!!!!
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Con was right that Pro did not provide a supporting case. It would have been easy to cite pointless stupid debates to which people had objected. Pro won the semantic argument; ddo is idiomatic and it was clear what Pro meant. Obviously S&G to Con.
Posted by omelet 6 years ago
omelet
RFD
====
Conduct: CON
PRO used her second round asking for a summary of CON's first round points, admitting that she got distracted and so did not bother reading CON's first round. CON obliged. There is a clear conduct gap.

Spelling/Grammar: CON
CON had better spelling and grammar.

Arguments: CON
PRO didn't support her argument, and failed to satisfactorily address the points CON made in R1.

Sources: TIE
No significant source material was referenced by either PRO or CON - not enough to warrant these points, at least.
Posted by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
I want this debate to be over with because omelet is not saying anthing and it is making me mad so... Why cant he just say something and it be over with and he wont have to deal with it ever again unless takes one of my other debates that i make!!!!!!!!
Posted by omelet 6 years ago
omelet
I'm considering it. I suppose I'd have to get rid of one part of my argument, but that's not such a big issue.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
*yawns at Pro* Just post, omelet.
Posted by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
And thanks guys for saying that u vote for me just keep updated and when u can vote then plz vote!!!!
Posted by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
I think that he is getting mad because he wont anwser!!!!!!
Vote Placed by Korashk 3 years ago
Korashk
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by Annbella 6 years ago
Annbella
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by ciphermind 6 years ago
ciphermind
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
AnnbellaomeletTied
Vote Placed by omelet 6 years ago
omelet
AnnbellaomeletTied