entimaniac
GiantSpoonMan

Something created the universe.

entimaniac

Pro

I believe the universe had to have been created by something. Logically, something (matter, the universe, anything) could not have come from nothing. At some point there has to be a "creator" that created the universe.

The method of creating and what was originally created (e.g. a god particle which caused the big bang) are beside the point in this debate. I seek only to hear an opposing view that the universe could exist without a creator.

Specific religious implication are intended to remain absent besides the implications that a creator would, for the most part, be considered a god.

There is obviously no direct proof for either side of this debate and that is why it is under philosophy. I wish only to hear considerations for alternatives, not someone to flat-out bash the idea of this debate.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

Ok, i'm in.
entimaniac

Pro

My opening remark was pretty clearly made in the first post, but I will restate.

The existence of matter, energy, anything, everything had to have a start, it seems almost absurd to think that it could have just been there. A creating force outside our universe had to give birth to something that eventually got us to where we are today.

I will give this round over to hearing the opponent's side for why the universe could potentially exist without something creating it.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

Hello, I am going to start off my argument by saying I do not know how the universe was "born" and don't think anyone does in today's society. I am going to be debating using logic, reason, and facts. I hope this is an intense/fun debate!

To start off I am going to talk about the universe as we know it to be. The universe goes by certain laws that cannot be broken such as matter cannot be created or destroyed. If we are going by this law then creation doesn't go with the laws of physics and is flawed. Even if the universe was created, what created it? Thinking logically we cannot say that "god" exists because of lack of proof. However, the universe can exist without being created.

Something amazing about science as we know it is, something can come from nothing because nothing is something! When we think of nothing we usually think empty, however, this is far from nothing. If there is emptiness that means there is something that is empty and thus there is something. When we look at quantum physics we see that particles do sometimes just pop in and out of existence. Of course these things are very, very small, but so was the universe before the big bang. The explosion of the big bang all came from amounts of energy hundreds of times smaller than the tip of a pen. So a strong theory explaining how the universe was created was simply, the universe appeared and went bang.
http://scienceblogs.com...

A question that has been said for ages is, Why is there something rather than nothing?" This is a very interesting question that doesn't have a very solid answer. My best answer to this would be, there can't be nothing, if there was nothing then would it truly be nothing? We use the term nothing to mean, not something. If there isn't something this means there is no space which can contain nothing. Even from a religious standpoint the concept of nothing doesn't make since. If there is truly nothing then there can be no god because god is indeed, something. When looking at this from a logical standpoint, maybe nothing can't exist. To clarify I will compare other things to something and nothing. First we will look at the moral terms good and evil. Good will represent something and evil will represent nothing. If there is no such thing as good, how can evil exist? What about the opposite? These two things must coexist with one another for either to make since, they are yin and yang. What about life and death, you can't have death without life that's just obvious. This also means you can't have life without death.

When we look at it like this it makes since that nothing and something must coexist, neither can be on their own. It's infinity and zero, they both in a way mean the same thing. The definition of Infinity is something that you can take any amount from yet it will remain the same. Is this not the same for nothing? I can take as much money from an empty vault as I want but there will be the same amount of money in the bank as when I started.
entimaniac

Pro

entimaniac forfeited this round.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

But why. :(
Posted by entimaniac 4 years ago
entimaniac
I totally blanked out on finishing this thing; I think I was replying and then I suppose I didnt finish and forgot, so sorry. I meant to say something along the lines of: I disagree of your statement that nothing is something or in order for there to be nothing there has to be something. Either way you meant it, I disagree. Definitions can be awkward things, but nothing, whether it is the absence of or the opposite of something, does not mean that in order for there to be nothing, there has to be something or whatever logic you choose to defend that line of reasoning. Let me clean up the definition in this debate, a "something" is bound to the universe. Anything that we can sense or interpret as being in existence is part of the universe or, if you want to go further, the multiverse, is something. It is unacceptable to think that something just appears from nothing. There has to be a creating force outside of the uni/multiverse that put things into motion. The concept of our universe as nothing before a creating force acting to create it does not imply there is something there to be filled. The idea is that there is a creating force that no only had to be the start of matter and energy, but also of the space in which it exists.

I do not know if the opponent will see this comment, but I hope so for the simple fact that he deserves an apology for goofing up the debate.