SeekandDestroy
Its-you-or-me

Sometimes violence is the only way for conflicts to be set to rest

SeekandDestroy

Pro

People will not always agree with each other and sometimes violence presents itself as the only way out of a situation such as slavery or death. For instance you are a farmer in a peaceful country and you have a loving family and are content with your life. Your country is invaded and you choose not to fight so your country looses the war and you and your people are put into slavery or camps. Another chance to rise up and regain some sort of your former life presents itself. Would you rise up? Or die in submission?
Its-you-or-me

Con

Through violence, you may 'solve' one problem, but you sow the seeds for another.

-The 14th Dalai Lama

I base my whole argument around that quote. By what you say for the people to be free of the oppressor they have to rise up and create violence where there is already violence. While this may set them free it does not set them free with the best intentions. Because violence begets violence. If the objective is to return to a peaceful or non-confrontational place, then violence accomplishes nothing in the long term. Phrase" "FIGHTING for peace"?--it's like saying you are having sex to achieve virginity. Makes no since and leads you nowhere. Violence does not solve anything. On the contrary, it makes things worse loving and peaceful communication is a better alternative. In the short term, violence can stop or suppress the immediate threatening behavior, but this is short-sighted, since defending oneself results often in escalated level of violence. A good example would be a kid who gets bullied every day and says to himself that he is tired and beats up the bully. Then the bully who now would fell inferior would come back for the kid in larger numbers. Therefore being a never ending vicious cycle. So in conclusion violence solves but it the solution leads to more troubles.
Negated
SeekandDestroy

Pro

SeekandDestroy forfeited this round.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
SeekandDestroy

Pro

Here is where you are wrong. A bully who gets beat up may not necessarily return in greater numbers that was your opinion considering I've been in that situation and was forced to defend myself the bully never returned. And you say that violence has no way to return the people back to the peace and order that they had once achieved but considered it gives them a chance to return to some form of the life they once had! Some men would rather die than be a prisoner for the rest of their lives!
"If you want peace prepare for war!" Now it may seem that saying violence can achieve peace contradicts itself but in truth its a paradox. Are some things not worth fighting for? Is freedom for your people not worth fighting for? Is the right to own your own land not worth fighting for?
And you say "therefore being a never ending vicious cycle"
How can the cycle be never ending if your enemy has been forced out? And according to you wouldn't the violence be never ending anyway because they were captured and enslaved?
"peaceful communication" Does not get you out of leg irons or a prison cell! Peaceful communication does not keep people from taking your family! If someone breaks into your house and goes into your daughter's room and takes her, but you do nothing but say pleases stop. Hasn't peaceful communication failed you? Even in the bible there is a poem that says there IS a time for war and a time for peace.
Affirmed
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
Posted by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
someone vote pls....
Posted by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
yeah we both missed a round
Posted by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
apparently the whole time this debate was going on i was asleep-------lame
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Btw, it is possible to commit suicide without physical force. If one simply stops eating, one dies. Until relatively recently in human history, it was a common way to die in much of the world.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
So, a dominatrix prostitute is a violent criminal and you have officially muddied waters.

So is a drug user. :)
Posted by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
But a keyboard is meant to be typed on your body is not meant to be harmed or killed the definition of violence is
Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing
Posted by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
Very true friend youve made an excellant point
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Is typing violence against your keyboard?

Violence, for moral purposes, is probably best defined as an action against nonconsenting parties that physically harms them.

Otherwise dominatrix prostitutes are "Violent criminals" and all the waters get muddy.
Posted by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
Hold on wouldnt suicide be self inlficted violence???
Posted by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
Yeah i know this argument is kind of hard to be a con against because there are so many situations where it seems violence is the only answer.
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
SeekandDestroyIts-you-or-meTied
Vote Placed by SeekandDestroy 8 years ago
SeekandDestroy
SeekandDestroyIts-you-or-meTied