poojabajaj_85
solo

"Son rising":Shame of India

poojabajaj_85

Pro

Indian society was a male dominant society...women were deprived of education...and al sort of freedom which men used to enjoy...that is why males have always hold a position of great importance and authority...butafter the beginning of era of women education and exposure...Indian women are in no way inferior to men...but still indian families are aspiring for boy baby...they still consider girl baby to be curse ...many cases were found where with the help of predetermination of sex during pregnancy they are going for foetus killing which is absolutely shame for such a developing country.
solo

Con

There's nothing wrong with expecting parents to prefer one sex over another. Males generally carry on the legacy of a family name, whereas females typically lose their family name through marriage. Abortion is acceptable in many fully developed nations, like the United States of America. I don't see where shame plays a role in this debate.

I think it would be shameful to let a legacy die.
poojabajaj_85

Pro

yes, son carry their family name forward but y they are given preference....and to the extent that they go for female foeticide....but one should not forget 'son is son till his wife and daughter is daughter throughout the life" now a days it is seen that daughters are taking the responsibilities of caring of their parents more than the sons...
solo

Con

<>

Not all sons are given preference. It may be a popular opinion for people to want sons right now in India, but human behavior has shown us that this is probably a trend, and like all trends, this one too shall pass.

<<....and to the extent that they go for female foeticide....>>

That's their prerogative. It's not illegal. I'm gay. People would have me feel shame for feeling the way I do. I won't/can't live that way and I don't have to, just as these people don't have to feel shame for how they feel about bringing a life into the world. People should be able to have/feel/think/do what they want.

<>

(I see no evidence to support this claim, but I'll assume that it is true for the sake of argument.) Yes, because trends change gradually. When the people see that the predominant bread winners are women, they will desire to have them in their families. Worship of Hindu goddesses will be on the rise. Women of India will take a stronger and equal place in Indian society to the men's.

This is all besides the point though because you're trying to argue why India is shameful for "harvesting" sons. The rest of the world accepts this as their practice and respects their right to their beliefs, which is why there aren't any public outcries about such issues for such practices in the United Nations.

I had to work hard to understand you, poojabajaj_85, but I appreciated your arguments. Thank you.
Posted by Conspicuous_Conservative 9 years ago
Conspicuous_Conservative
I agree with the instigator females are very important they are paramount in the raising of children and responsible for carrying on of the human race
Posted by poojabajaj_85 9 years ago
poojabajaj_85
balancing of male to female ratio is ok.....but female foeticide should be stopped...they should accept what they have got...it is so immoral killing a foetus by determing his sex just because she is female...
Posted by thirdworldpoet 9 years ago
thirdworldpoet
btw.. read marjane satrapi's persepolis or divakaruni's poetry or any collection of woman's poetry from india. or look into the eyes of a mistreated indian wife who cant speak english and can complain. watch the movie provoked... u wouldnt no. you havent gone back to india and watch aunts abused by drunks or how at late hours of the night indian men drink cheap kingfisher beers and whisky, wasting a week's pay on a few beers. women are bartered like cattle!!! my cousin who is 13 married a 59 year old man because of a village dispute. i speak from experience. have u?
Posted by thirdworldpoet 9 years ago
thirdworldpoet
no.. im 15... thanks a lot. my mom got married my age. i come from a really traditional fam.. i think men in india are stubborn. well the old age ones... they are very sexist. my grandfather thinks its crazy that im goin 2 a private skool... i mean women have the right in my country now.. but sum ppl just cant deal with it
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
what?

ldkfjsdogfuihsdflsjdlnaskdjflsakdfjn
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I was perplexed by your comment until I saw that you're only thirteen years old. I appreciate your contribution to debate.org and am in no way invalidating your opinion. I do think you'll change your attitude about a great many things before you even leave your teens behind you. Have a great day.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
That's a silly thing to say...just because it does not jeopardize the continuation of the human race...does not mean it's not a big problem.

It may not present an immediate global crisis...but it is certainly a problem in India and China.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I see your point, Harlan, but I also see that there are over 6.5 billion people in the world and don't see the survival of the human race in jeopardy by an imbalance in the male-to-female ratio any time soon.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
all shame and mentality aside...

It is most impostant to see this through an idealistic scope.

It is bad for the population if a large majority of people are men. Inplaces like China this has become especially bad...so that a large majority of people are men.

The solution is not to frobid abortion, in a country where male childen are preffered...the solution is to so what they do in china: do not allow people to determine the sex of their fetus.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
poojabajaj_85, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, and if you want to continue this debate in the comments, that's fine too.

<<they should not feel shme how they are bringing a life into the world but they should feel shame for killng a life who is not yet stepped into world just because she is female...>>

Who are you to tell anyone how they should feel? What makes you so special? What if I told you that you should be ashamed of yourself for using a penguin as your avatar/icon because penguins murder fish in the ocean? You'd disagree with me and find a way to justify why it is acceptable to like penguins because you really feel that you're not doing anything wrong -- in fact, you are being completely vile and disgusting in my opinion for condoning murder.
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by Raisor 9 years ago
Raisor
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by cLoser 9 years ago
cLoser
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by monetary_sniper 9 years ago
monetary_sniper
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by Aziar44 9 years ago
Aziar44
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by dorobo 9 years ago
dorobo
poojabajaj_85soloTied
Vote Placed by thirdworldpoet 9 years ago
thirdworldpoet
poojabajaj_85soloTied