Mikal
progressivedem22

Song Battle

Mikal
Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point
Started: 6/3/2014 Category: Music

Mikal

Con

Rounds

(1) Acceptance
(2) Classic Rock
(3) Hip Hop/Rap
(4) Blues
(5) Modern Music ( anything within the past 3 years)

Each round we will describe why we like the song. Judges pick the best song choices
progressivedem22

Pro

Mikal

Con

1: Choice - Gimme Shelter by the rolling stones

This is the opening track for the rolling songs album "let it bleed". The song itself is a reference for the Vietnam war and how people objected to it and hated it. It was the premise behind the entire album. This is one of the best if not best classic rock songs of all times.

You can feel the vibes and the beat in the music, It still sends chills down my spine.

Great great song
Mikal

Con

Choice : The Wicked Games by The Weeknd

vocally stunning, all around a great song. The weekend is an up and coming artist/band who has received offers from young money and other noticeable members of the hip hop/rap community. The vocalist and main member of the band is Abel Tesfaye and his lyrics are real, his voice is amazing, and his vibe is like none other. This song is about how he is finding love in all the wrong places, and how it hurts him and how he cannot escape it. It is about a journey of finding love
progressivedem22

Pro

My apologies for not giving my explanation for the last round. Mikal agreed to let me post it this round.

I chose "Imagine" by John Lennon because it speaks to a hypothetical world without the divisiness that follows from religion (I should clarify that I am speaking about fanaticism, generally speaking). Though controversial, and certainly not appealing to everyone, I believe it"s an interesting thought experiment that challenges us to look within ourselves for inspiration, and question what truly provides us meaning.

My next song is "Love Never Felt So Good" by Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake: https://www.youtube.com...

First, the song is a tribute to the talent that was Michael Jackson. Second, it speaks to the the sheer virtue and rapture of being in love, and feeling as though you have found the one and know that "the night's gonna be just fine", as YYW and bsh can attest to -- for that reason, the song is dedicated to them.
Mikal

Con

*cough suck up* *cough*

Choice : Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughn

Long version of Texas Flood by stevie ray vaughn ! Texas Flood is an electric blues album by blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan and his band Double Trouble, released in 1983.Although "Texas Flood" has three verses of lyrics, the song is more of a prolonged guitar solo, allowing Vaughan to show off his characteristic electric blues style. During live shows, he would often play portions of this song behind his back, arousing an enthusiastic crowd response. Stylistically, "Texas Flood" is structured around the common three chord blues progression. Written and performed in the key of G (sounding F# because of Vaughan's tuning), it is in 12/8 time, or compound time[2], which gives it a "slow burning" feel that is common in Texas blues. [1]

[1] https://www.youtube.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
progressivedem22

Pro

My next song is "Memphis Blues" by W.C. Handy: https://www.youtube.com...

I chose it first and foremost because of I find it so uplifting: I actually listened to this song whilst cramming for my last three final exams and it gave me the confidence to proceed " ironically enough, since we tend to think of the "blues" as the antithesis of uplifting.

Then there"s the historical context. W.C. Handy is said to have written for Edward Crump who ran for mayor in Memphis Tennessee, so it"s fascinating to consider how campaign music has evolved over the past century.
Mikal

Con

Choice :Titanium by David Guetta

this song is one of the most vocally challenging songs ever to be released in the past few years. The song itself is about strength and courage and endurance, but what adds credibility to this song is the remakes that have occurred because of the original. Some of the people that have covered this song have did as good as a job as the original or better.

see video 2 and 3

These are covers from Christie Grimmie and Boyce Avenue, their vocals are show cased and tested to the fullest. It is a vocally challenging and inspiring song.

Both boyce and Christie acknowledge that this is one of the most powerful songs they have played/sung [1]

[1] https://www.youtube.com...
progressivedem22

Pro

My next song " believe it or not " is "Let it Go" from Disney"s Frozen!

https://www.youtube.com...

I know I"ve criticized this movie " I still think it"s overrated! " but the song is just so darn catchy and I think it carries a deeply-veiled significance to release your potential, to dream big, and to let your inhibitions go! Now, I"ve read into the context of the movie and what Elsa (I think that"s her name?) was apparently letting go was the fact that she couldn"t manage her own power and hurt her sister"but let"s ignore that and enjoy the fascinating song!

Thanks for the debate, Mikal.
Posted by ChosenWolff 3 years ago
ChosenWolff
Imagine as classic rock? Memphis Blues? Eh, bad show
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
For the first time EVER I'm tempted to award S&G to this particular Con, but I don't think Pro's formatting is quite enough to warrant the S&G point. Still, Pro: All you need to do is delete the "S" in the "HTTPS" and you can embed just like Con.

Everything else was equal enough, so I'm awarding arguments only.

As to arguments (or in this case, songs):

Gimme Shelter vs. Imagine:

In terms of "Classic Rock", I think that Gimme Shelter clearly wins.

The Wicked Games vs. Love Never Felt So Good:

I kind of want to give the points to Love Never Love Never Felt So Good, but it's kinda weird that it's a post-death collaboration, isn't it? So...almost sorta a tie, leaning towards LNFSG.

Texas Flood vs. Memphis Blues:

Memphis Blues, which is really almost more of a rag than a blues song, though it's considered by some to be like the first written blues song, was a strange choice. (Incidentally, a lot of folks think that Crump thing is BS). In terms of "blues" I think TF is a clear winner.

Titanium vs. Let It Go:

Since there was no genre, and it was just "modern music", it's entirely and wholly subjective. To me, Titanium wins.

That gives Con the clear win on argument points IMHO.

As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Posted by progressivedem22 3 years ago
progressivedem22
Well, I guess I have another reason now to hate Frozen haha.
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
*debates
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
Good job to both debaters. I like this kind of debate... and I like them way more than any other kind of "battle" thing that happens here.
Posted by airmax1227 3 years ago
airmax1227
Round 2 (draw)

Both debaters chose popular classic songs, but I'm not a fan of either, so no points awarded.

Round 3 (draw)

Didn't like either song.

Round 4 (Pro)

I'm not a big fan of either choice, but Pro did make a more interesting and enjoyable choice with Memphis Blues.

Round 5 (Con)

Not a fan of either song choice, but slight edge to Con.

Conclusion:

I don't have particularly picky taste in music, but I can't say that I actually liked any of the songs posted in this debate. Each debater edged the other just slightly in one round a piece, so a point is awarded to each.

(Will expand/clarify RFD upon request)
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
Happy to clarify my RFD if needed :P
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
Round 2- Mikal
I'm not a big fan of classic rock, so I disliked both, but Mikal's was slightly less bad...

Round 3- Mikal
Michael Jackson sux. And so do love songs. XP

Round 4- Progressivedem
PD was right about it being uplifting. I'm gonna try using it as a studying aid :D

Round 5- Mikal
Smh PD.... using *that* song was bad enough by itself, but, on top of that, Mikal's song was AWESOME!

So 3-1 Mikal.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
EPlC!!!
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Titanium--great song choice, even if I'm not a Grimmie Fan. Songs from Frozen...not such a great selection. My totally arbitrary opinion tells me Con locks this one away.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: It's hard for me to decide on how to vote on this exactly. I definitely felt like con finished strongest in the last round with a song that was a little more musical than Let it Go, and it also wasn't cliche. I also feel like con won the first round with a song that was great musically but also carried a message that was really strong at the time, and second round I couldn't accurately determine. So I'm giving a point to each for that. Good job!
Vote Placed by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I've got to give it to Mikal because I like his song choices more. I don't think there's really a more fair way to judge something like this, because claims of objective "betterness" are spurious at best and -in all reality- more likely to be intellectually disingenuous. Gimme Shelter (and the Rolling Stones) will alway win with me over the Beatles (with only a very few exceptions). I just like them better. Michael Jackson, even though the song that ProgDem chose is one of the better ones that Jacko ever did, is not my favorite singer or person. (And he was probably a pedophile, so I can't get the moral judgement out of my head whenever I hear his music. That's probably unfair of me, and because I'm biased I'm going to strike that round from my overall consideration.) As Blues music goes, Stevie Ray is one of my personal favorites. Fun fact, I actually like Blues music too... and way more than David Guetta. But the Frozen song, since its been so overplayed, just makes me cringe.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: R1 - Both debaters chose fantastic songs, calling this round a tie R2 - Pro wins this round. Both songs were good, but I felt that Pro's was better done. R3 - Con wins this round. The instrumentals were just fantastic, and much as I appreciate the classic nature of Pro's song, I felt it couldn't really stack up. R4 - Con wins this round. Much as Let It Go is a good song, it's not really a great choice, especially compared with Con's selection.
Vote Placed by airmax1227 3 years ago
airmax1227
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD In comments.
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
Mikalprogressivedem22Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments (mainly for formatting purposes). Scored it one point per round.