PatriotPerson
Waxwing

Song Debate: Defend your favorite band or artist!

PatriotPerson

PatriotPerson

Pro

Hey guys its the Patriot again. On this debate, you will choose your favorite band and say what it is in the first round. The first round will also be for acceptance. I will be defending my all-time favorite band, Fun.

For the second round, I will post a song by Fun., share the lyrics, and provide a meaning of the song and tell why it is good. Then you do the same, posting a song by your favorite band, sharing its lyrics, and providing its meaning. This will go on until our debate is over. You must post videos of the song (If the song doesn't have a music video, just find a video that is the song). If you are unknowing of how to attach videos, it's quite easy. Simply find the link of the youtube video for the song and put it into your argument.

I don't want to seem bossy, but I made rules, You may not use screamo, dubstep or remixes, rap is okay as long as it is at least somewhat clean. There will also be no insulting or attacking your opponent for their choice of their favorite band.

Here we go!
Waxwing

Con

Challenge accepted! Couldn't resist when I saw your choice of band. I will be demonstrating what makes the German, multi-genre'd and multi-talented band Oomph! the greatest on Earth!
PatriotPerson

Pro

Ah yes, Fun.'s most popular song. The lyrics:
Give me a second, I need to get my stories straight. My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State.
My lover, she's waiting for me, just across the bar. My seat's been taken by some sunglasses, asking about a scar,
and I know I gave it to you months ago, I know you're trying to forget. But between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in my apologies, you know I'm trying hard to take it back. And so if by the time the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I will carry you home

Tonight, We are Young. So let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun! (x2)

Now, I know that I'm not all that you got. I guess that I, I just thought...maybe we could find new ways to fall apart.
But our friends are back, so let's raise the cup, because I found someone to carry me home

Carry me home tonight. (Na na na na na na na) Just carry me home tonight (Na na na na na na na) Carry me home tonight. (Na na na na na na na) Just carry me home tonight. (Na na na na na na na).
The world is on my side, I have no reason to run. So won't someone come and carry me home tonight? The angels never arrived, but I can hear the choir, so won't someone come and carry me home

And so if by the time the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I will carry you home tonight.

MEANING AND STORY

We are Young tells the story of a man with a struggling relationship with his girlfriend. It tells the story of him "giving her a scar" which could mean physically or emotionally, and so he goes to the same bar party she is at to make it up. We can tell by the lyrics that he is apologizing for all the bad things he did, and he is telling her that they should be happy at least for that night and make the best out of it.
Waxwing

Con

It's really tough picking out Oomph songs, being how diverse their 22 years and 11 albums are. Not only that, they generally maintain a balance, or sway between accessible 'mainstream' songs on the occasion, but the bulk of their work is very unique and unconventional. I can't say what style would appeal the most to my opponent and the users, so I'll simply highlight as much variety as I can. To begin, a very overlooked, but magnificent track from one of their more recent albums.

Oomph! - Eine Frau spricht im Schlaf (A woman sleeps in sleep)
Album: GlaubeLiebeTod
Year: 2005

English translation of lyrics:
-------------------------------------------------------
As he woke up in the middle of the night
His heart beat so hard that he got frightened
For the woman who lay beside him laughed
That it sounded as if it were Judgement Day

And he heard her voice elegise
And he felt that she was asleep nonetheless
Since they were both lying blind in the darkness
He only saw the words she called

Why don't you kill me faster?
She asked and weeped like a child
And her weeping came from that cellar
Where the dreams are walled in

How many years do you still want to hate me?
She called and lay uncannily still
Don't you want to let me live on
Because I don't want to live without you?

Her questions stood like ghosts
That are frightened of themselves
And the night was black and without windows
And didn't seem to know what was happening

He, the man in the bed, was in no laughing mood
Dreams are to be truth-loving
But he told himself: "What shall one do?"
And decided not to wake up at night again
Thereupon he fell asleep consoled
--------------------------------------------

Interpretation:
These are some of Oomph!'s more poetic lyrics.
To me, this about a man whose own conscious haunts him at night, when he lays awake unable to be distracted by what he's done. I'm not sure yet if he murdered her and buried her in his cellar, or if the dreams walled in the cellar is the subconsciousness, where her (and his own) emotional despair dwell. But either way, in the end we learn he simply copes with the struggle by submitting to his inability to find the solution to his woes, thereupon sleeping. In fact, he determines to give up entirely, symbolized by his resolution to not even wake up at night any more.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Fun's second or third most popular song. The great Some Nights.

Some Nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck.
Some Nights I call it a draw.
Some Nights I wish that my lips could build a castle,
Some Nights I wish they'd just fall off.

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost.
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for, no
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most Nights, I don't know, anymore oh-oh woah-oh oh-woah-oh oh oh (x2)

This is it boys, this is war. What're we waiting for?
Why don't we break the rules already?
I was never one to believe the hype, save that for the black and white.
I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, and here they come again to jack my style.

That's alright (its alright) I found a martyr in my bed tonight.
She stops my bones from wondering just who I, who I, who I, am, oh who am I? Who?

Well, Some Nights I wish that this all would end.
'Cause I could use some friends for a change.
And Some Nights I'm scared you'll forget me again.
Some Nights I always win, I always win.

Oh Lord, I'm still not sure, what I stand for, no.
Most Nights, I don't know....(so come on)

So this is it. I sold my soul for this.
Washed my hands in that for this? I missed my Mom and Dad for this?
No. When I see stars, when I see, when I see stars, that's all they are.
When I hear songs, they sound like this one, so come on, come on, come on, OH COME ON!

Well, that is it guys, that is all.
Five minutes in and I'm bored again.
Ten years of this and I'm not sure if anybody understands.
And this one is for the folks at home, sorry to leave, mom, but I had to go.
Who the f*ck wants to die alone, all dried up in the desert sun?

My heart's breaking for my sister, and the con she calls love.
But when I look into my nephew's eyes, man you would'nt believe the most amazing things that can come from
Some Terrible Nights (oh oh oh oh oh x?)

The other night, you wouldn't believe the dream I just had about you and me.
I called up, but we'd both agree
It's for the best you didn't listen, it's for the best we get our distance, oh.
Oh woah, oh oh woah, oh. Oh woah oh, oh oh.

MEANING AND STORY

Some Nights, as according to the music video, tells the story of a young man who joins the Union during the Civil War. There he faces many struggles that are clearly mentioned, some of these being missing his mom and dad, losing care for stars, and washing his hands in dirty water or some other bad liquid. As I see it, the video also shows an almost middle-aged man who goes to war for the Confederates, and later ends up being killed by a bayonet by the young man in the Union. As you can see, Some Nights shares the story of struggles in life and provides actual historical events (The Civil War). See, Fun. is even educational.

Waxwing

Con

Now, the title track of Oomph!'s 1998 album, "Unrein", is an especially fine example of Oomph! reaching the peak maturity of the heavy-metal oriented sound that dominated their early records. It perfectly illustrates the oscillating dark, atmospheric and melodious down-beat verses crashing violently into anxious, heavy screams of aggression that has defined an entire generation of European metal. This sound, that they had invented in their second album, the 1992 "Sperm", has been labeled "Neue Deutsche Harte", or "New German Hardness". Rammstein is unarguably their most successful successor, who roughly took Oomph!'s sound and fused it with the marching, industrial frighteningness of "Laibach" to produce what's called "Tanz-Metal". But without getting too off track into obscure music history, this track, 'Unrein', paints a dark image of anxiety and anger, using layers of textured synthetic industrial sounds, low-murmering choir and classical instruments, only to be slowly hammered into a fit of angry confusion and conflict by a wall of gritty, distorted guitars and clean-screaming vocals.

Oomph! - Unrein (Impure)
Album: Unrein
Year: 1998

English translation of lyrics:
---------------------------------------------
Don't come closer! - impure - impure
Don't come closer! - impure - impure
I'll touch you, bewet you
Chase you with nightmares
Until you undercool
I'll stain you, taint you
Infect you with misery
Until don't feel anymore!
Don't touch me!
Don't touch me!
Don't come closer! - impure - impure
Don't come closer! - impure - impure
I'll seduce you, use you
Stain you with dregs
Until you loose yourself
I'll daub you, stain you
Contaminate you
Until you don't feel anymore
Don't touch me!
Don't touch me!
Give me the answer - Give me the answer!
You want the answer? You don't know me!
You thought you had power
You touch me
But you don't concern me anymore!
You want the answer? You don't get me!
You thought you had power
You thought you had power
Give me the hope that I loose you
Give me the hope since otherweise I'll freeze
------------------------------------------------------------

Interpretation:

This is a song, to me, that expresses a person in deep personal conflict between what they want to be true or what they've been told is true, and their own intuition and inner recognition that it isn't so. Its a violent dissonance that threatens to tear this person asunder under its weight. The thing identified as "Unrein" (Impure) is not just contrary or incongruent with what they are expected or want to believe, but radically opposed as if some sort of tempting devil (see, "I'll seduce you", "contaminate you", among many other lines during the chorus that represent the impure thing) Given the context of the rest of the album, it seems very likely that what's being described is a very religiously raised person suffering a tremendous amount of grief and guilt in face of losing their faith, what they have been raised to be considered the devil trying to tempt you. You can feel this person's inner-torment so vividly when the lines "gib mir die hoffnung da" ich dich verliere! (Give me the hope that I can lose you!)" are howled by Dero (the vocalist), it gives you chills down your spine!
PatriotPerson

Pro

My opponent is making rather long and detailed introductions before the lyrics. So, I'm gonna start doing that now.
This song, Carry On, comes from Fun.'s second and most recent album, Some Nights. Some Nights (album, not song) was recorded in 2011 and released in 2012 as an indie pop album. It was released through Fueled by Ramen, and it sometimes gets a Parental Advisory sticker because of usage of the word "f*ck". Their title song reached #3 on Billboards hot 100, and one of its songs one the Grammy for song of the year. The album itself had two nominations for Grammies. I don't think Oomph! has ever done that. Now, I do the lyrics:

Well, I woke up to the sound of silence
The cars were cutting like knives in fist fights.
And I found you with a bottle of wine,
Your head in the curtains and heart like the Fourth of July.

You swore and said "We are not, we are not shining stars"
This I know, I never said we are.
Though I've never been through hell like that,
I've closed enough windows to know you can never look back.

If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone
Carry On
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground
Carry On
Carry On, Carry On

So I met up with some friends in the edge of the night
At a bar off '75
And we talked and talked about how our parents will die
All our neighbors and wives.

But I'd like to think I could cheat it all,
To make up for these times I've been cheated on.
And it's nice to know when I was left for dead,
I was found, and now I won't roam these streets
I am not the ghost you want of me!

Carry On
Carry On

Woah, my head is on fire, but my legs are fine,
After all, they are mine.
Lay your clothes down on the floor.
Close the door, hold the phone, show me how,
No one's ever gonna stop us now!

'Cause we are, we are shining stars
We are invincible, we are who we are
On our darkest day, when your miles away
So we'll come, we will find our way home!

Carry On
Carry On
Oh woah, oh woah, oh woah oh-oh, etc.
(No one's ever gonna stop us now).

MEANING AND STORY

The meaning of this song is that almost anything can get better if you just simply do what the title says. The story of this song (as I see it) is, like most songs are, a relationship between a man and a woman. The woman in this song seems to be drifting away from the man, and the man is trying to get her to come back and love him more again. Thus making a better relationship and, "Carrying On". Get it?

Waxwing

Con

Waxwing forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

This song is a Christmas song by Fun. It is not on any album, but it is a single. Lyrics:

My Christmas is fillin' up with stuff I don't need.
I was hoping for new shoes, the kind with the lights.
I was naughty at first,
But now I'm trying to be nice.

Even Santa, he's thankful for the little things.
(Like what kind of stuff, Santa?)
Thanks to the reindeer that pull me on my sleigh,
Thanks for the moonlight that guides me on my way.

And I won't be greedy, I don't ask for much these days,
I just need one thing: please Believe In Me.

Well, Christmas comes just once a year,
I was hoping for snow shoes, or maybe a bike.
But when I asked them for Fun., they bought me Aim & Ignite.

Even Santa, he's thankful for the little things (Sweet Santa)
Thanks for the memories, 'cause they keep us safe
And remind me that it's okay to be lonely
Please Believe In Me.

(On this part, they are voicing and acting like teenage girls)
Hey, Mary-Kate, what are you getting Ashley for Christmas?
Um, I actually just got her a Bowflex.
Shut up! I was gonna get her a Bowflex!
Well, you wanna go shopping for something else?
No, I'm going home.

MEANING AND STORY

Believe In Me is a rather short but fun song that is obviously a Christmas song. It tells the story of a conversation with a little boy and Santa Claus. The boy is telling Santa that he didn't get completely what he wanted for Christmas. Santa is telling the kid to be thankful for what he has, since Santa has quite a boring, one-day only job. Santa however says he is thankful for the moonlight and reindeer, and that the kid should be thankful for the shoes.

Santa is also telling everyone, including the listeners and everyone else to believe in him.

Waxwing

Con

Waxwing forfeited this round.
Posted by Kumquatodor 4 years ago
Kumquatodor
Saw the comment late! Sorry!
Posted by PatriotPerson 4 years ago
PatriotPerson
Are you going to?
Posted by PatriotPerson 4 years ago
PatriotPerson
Sorry, Kumquat. I meant you can choose any band OR artist. If you want it, take it. KUMQUATADOR VS. PATRIOTPERSON ROUND III! One of DDO's epicest rivalries!
Posted by Kumquatodor 4 years ago
Kumquatodor
So tempting. I want to accept, but I don't like any BANDS specifically.

If I did, this would become Patriot Person Vs. Kumquatodor III.
Vote Placed by leojm 4 years ago
leojm
PatriotPersonWaxwingTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. Pro still stuck with his argument even after the FF of his opponent!