Song Lyrics

Started: 1/16/2012 Category: Arts

To my opposition seeking a fun debate,
The purpose of this debate is to seek deeper understanding of certain creative music. While the radio is blasting daily, the words slip through our grasp of meaning and we only really scratch the surface. Hopefully this debate will create a little more awareness of the deepness of music and the effort the songwriters put into them. Therefore, me and my opposition will each choose one song for our opponent to dissect and attempt to explain the singer/writers disposition.

1. Before accepting this debate my opposition must understand that I am seeking an individual who will choose a reasonable song, with not only sufficient material to work with, but one that can be related to the topic.
2. During the first round my opponent will give me his song choice and the subject in which I will be arguing for, while at the end of my argument of Round 2 I will give him a song related to the same topic, in which he will construct his argument of my song chosen for him in round 2 as well.
3. In the third round we will critique each others arguments (eg. missed symbols, poor emphasis, weak understanding ect.) and closing statements.

My opposition may now choose his song and what I will be trying to argue for.
eg. What symbols in 'said song' describe the song writers disposition
Describe the feelings the songwriter feels about so and so
In the song 'blah blah' what mood is the song writer trying to express
Describe of the song writer uses 'nostalgia' to appeal to the listener

These are just some simple example in which my opposition is free to use or neglect.

*If possible please choose a song and topic with an abundance of material to work with. I mean music with substance:
'Slow dancing in a burning room' by John Mayer or 'Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall' by Coldplay, so much as it has emphasis or is making a statement. I refuse to dissect a song like 'Super Bass' by Nicki Manaj, which isn't really even music, it deserves to be in a garbage can with the rest of the trash.
And also remember to be fair as you are giving me a song and topic, I am doing the same for you.(So be fair and so will I too)*

Thus forth, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate and I hope its as fun as I plan it to be!

Greetings to my opponent. My song choice for dissection is Fade To Black by Metallica. The subject my opponent will be arguing for is voluntary euthanasia.

To begin I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate. My opposition has given to me the subject voluntary euthanasia and the song Fade To Black by Metallica.

Life is a right as is death and under extraordinary circumstances people will crumble and begin to question their existence as expressed by Metallica in the song "Fade To Black." The narrator is overcome by hopelessness, emptiness and the release of death.
To the narrator life is fading away everyday; he is sick and unwell. The narrator then affirms that he as lost the will to live and lacks purpose in life as he simply has "nothing more to give." The reader feels a sense of helplessness knowing the narrator goodwill is wasted. Furthermore, the narrator compares his feeling of emptiness inside to hell. He is "missing one inside," or his heart, which no longer beats for this world. The narrator is lost in pity of himself and is leaning closer to a place he cannot trek out of. Moreover, the narrator discerns that it is his best option as "death greets [him] warmly." Warmth in death demonstrates his positive look on death as it offers a sense of freedom, he can essentially be released from the chains of his suffering because he will no longer have to bear his hopelessness, emptiness and pain in this world.
Consequently, the narrator feels the end looming over his head and decides that death is his final option. Metallica express in the song "Fade To Black," the freedom of voluntary euthanasia and the warmth that it may bring.

I apologize for the length as it should probably be longer, but I been pretty hung up the last few day.
Anywho, for you I chose "Mad World" by Tears for fear. You will dissecting the narrators outlook on the world through his lyrics. I hope it is a fair exchange as the material is rich in examples. Have fun with it!

My opponent has given me the song Mad World by Tears For Fears. It is a song where the narrator watches the world go through their daily routines, the same thing every day, but toward no end. This is exemplified in the line "all around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces. Bright and early for their daily races, going nowhere, going nowhere". The same notion is reaffirmed later in the song with the line "when people run in circles it's a very very mad world..." This monotony drives the narrator to the point of realizing how much of a release death would be, but doesn't want to admit the thought to himself, as he says "and I find it kind of funny I find it kind of sad. The dreams in which I'm dyin' are the best I've ever had." Many people, when they talk about the monotony of daily life, forget how early it starts. The narrator makes note of this in two lines, one of which mentions that children spend the rest of the year waiting for their birthday, but the second one has a very interesting feel. "Went to school and I was very nervous, no one knew me, no one knew me. Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson? Look right through me, look right through me." What's so interesting about this line is that the narrator didn't say anything about being new at the school, yet is still unknown. This leads us to assume that he is such a loner that even people who see him every day don't notice him. All in all, it is a song about the narrator looking at the world repeat itself every day and concluding that it is indeed, a mad world. I am not sure of the argument I am to be making besides dissecting the song as I am not sure of my subject. Besides that, I hope my opponent is as happy with my dissection as I was with his.

LMGW forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited this round.