Mikal
Wylted

Song OFF

Mikal
Started: 7/21/2014 Category: Music

Mikal

Pro

How this will work. Each person will pick a song they like for that specific genre. The voters will determine who has the best songs. This is how the judging will work. Award each person a point for each round they win. If a person wins 3 rounds, award that person the win. If the rounds are tied 2/2 , you determine it on a on balance basis. Meaning who had the best songs all around.

Round 1. Acceptance
Round 2. Classic Rock
Round 3. Modern RMB
Round 4. Jazz
Round 5. Modern Music in general
Wylted

Con

I accept. Also I have no life so....... Sorry in advance.
Mikal

Pro

Going with one of the best classic rock songs ever written, and also my favorite classic rock song

Gimme Shelter by the rolling stones

This song is the epitome of classic rock in some regards
Wylted

Con

Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven

This song is what made me decide to give my life over to Jesus and also helped to end the Cold War.

Mikal

Pro

This one is by one of my favorite artists. The weeknd.

It's called pretty. It captures why we its hard for him to love because of how much he moves around and the fear of being someone. Music video is by far one of the best ones I've seen in a while too. Dont watch the video unless you are 18+
Wylted

Con

This video is appropriate for all ages.

The song is about one mans love for a woman in a post 9/11 world. This song makes the poetry of Colin Leslie Dean's poetry look like a child's love letter.
Mikal

Pro

One of the best jazz songs ever
Wylted

Con

The best Jazz song ever. The images it brings to mind are truly haunting and resonate with you, for a long time after the song is done playing.

Enjoy some Billy Holiday Strange Fruit
Mikal

Pro

great vocals , great talent, and a great song.
Wylted

Con

A great song with a much needed strong political message.

It rails against consumerism and helps expose the fact that in western society people are slaves to corporations and have forgotten what is truly important.
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
BoT nothing beats "Take Five" musically speaking "Take Five" and the whole "Time Out" album was a fvcking musical masterpiece.
Posted by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
So add 2 points to Mikal, and 1 to Wylted. :P
Posted by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
I will try to vote on this, hopefully 3 debates will be done by then.
But I would have given it to Mikal.
Round 1: This goes to Wylted, I mean I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better song than Stairway to Heaven in that category.
Round 2: This is a tie, I disliked both equally. Seriously, I hated this round.
Round 3: Mikal wins here, fair and square. I heard Take Five for the first time a few days ago, and the tune has been playing in my head since. Strange Fruit is amazing, but in front of Take Five it is nothing.
Round 4: I listened to both songs at the very least 4 times. I did not necessarily like parts of We Are Young, and I disliked some parts of Thrift Shop. It comes down to this, the tune of the Weee aree yoooung or that old man wearing a pink suit. Well it is a song off, and that tune was mildly catchy so this I also award to Mikal, though the difference is that of plank's constant.

I will post a lenghtier RFD should I get the oppurtunity to vote.
Alecium Shaloom
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
Addendum to RFD:

Tying my R3 point. No point in awarding it to Pro if the score isn't gonna be tied by it anymore...
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
@Wylted: I know it is... but I seriously couldn't decide...
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
This was a very entertaining debate, and I want to say that both debaters have excellent taste in music!

First Round: Mikal - Gimme Shelter vs. Stairway to Heaven - Wylted

This round goes to Mikal. I am a huge fan of Merry Clayton, who is the highly under-rated vocalist in the track 'Gimme Shelter'. Her voice sends shivers down my spine. Stairway to Heaven is another masterpiece in my mind, but in this case it just can't beat out vocals given by Merry Clayton.

Second Round: Mikal - The weekend vs. Fine China - Wylted

This round goes to Wylted. Chris Brown is the only artist who Chief Keef would ever record an R & B track with. Need I say more? Fine, I will. I felt that Chris Browns vocals covered every note perfectly. The weekend just doesn't get me as wet as Chris Brown does.

Third Round: Mikal - Take Five vs. Strange Fruit - Wylted

This round goes to Wylted. I was once a lover of Billie Holiday in a past life. Truly though, the imagery that she can paint, the unique tone of her voice, everything about this track is what it means to be a Jazz artist. Take Five is a masterpiece in its own right as well, but for me Billie Holiday set the course for many young black artists to come and has brought me many smiles with her wonderful work.

Fourth Round: Mikal - We are young vs. Thrift Shop - Wylted

This round goes to Mikal. I've never been a fan of either artist/band, but in terms of personal preference I must lean towards we are young. The reason is that I find great annoyance in the repetitive beat found in the track Thrift Shop. It gets old extremely fast, whereas in Mikals track carried on with ease. The range of vocals is also much greater, and rather refreshing instead of Mack's raps. Political agenda aside, I am more musically inclined towards we are young for the greater versatility in sound.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
@Romanii, your round 3 point is BS.
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
RFD

Round 2: CON
Easy decision; classic rock sux, and Con's song was "less classic" with a catchier tune.

Round 3: PRO
I'll admit it... I awarded this point solely to tie up the debate's score at 12-12... both songs were excellent and I was unable to decide which one I truly liked better.

Round 4: PRO
Tough choice. The lyrics of Con's song may have been more deep, but its tune was so boring that it barely can even be called a "song", whereas Pro's song had a really nice, catchy tune.

Round 5: PRO
Clear win for Pro. I HATE RAP. Meanwhile, Pro's song is my all-time favorite, so I'm inherently biased towards it... sorry, Con; bad luck for you.

Soooo... final score: 3-1 in Pro's favor.
Great song battle :D
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
whoa...tied!! Well done Wylted
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
It's actually not subjective, and I can prove it. I'll save it for a debate, though since it's a tough case to make.
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: I can't really say anything but my opinion, so I'm mostly just going to say who I think won the rounds. Wylted is going to win the first round point. The second round is going to go to Mikal. Third round is going to Mikal (I liked that he switched it up to do an instrumental, and I guess I wasn't really crazy about Wylted's song sorry Wylted). Fourth round I'm kind of tempted to leave as a tie, but I like Fun. just a little more than Macklemore so I'm going to give it to Mikal. Sorry if this is a really opinionated vote, but that's basically all I have to vote on so yeah. Also I realize it goes 2, 3, 4, 5, but I already wrote it and I don't want to go back and change all of those round numbers. That's all.
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: R1: I much preferred Led Zepplin's song, especially the guitar opening provided. It was quite a nostalgic song for me, since I've heard that tune quite a lot in my childhood. I give it to Con here. R2: I honestly didn't like either song that much. Not really my style, so I didn't pay much attention. R3: Okay, Pro completely wins on this one. The smooth sax and the percussion took me away (always adds a little bang and pop to the song), while the piano + singing combination didn't appeal to me. It definitely didn't have that jazz swing feel that Pro's song did. R4: While I do like Macklemore's song simply because it's catchy, I also enjoy Pro's song and I preferred the message to Thrift Shop. Also, the music video was better with the slow motion and what not. Overall - Pro takes this due to Take Five and We Are Young.
Vote Placed by benko12345678 2 years ago
benko12345678
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: First round goes to Mikal, gimme shelter is the more classic song. Second round is tied since I don't like modern music. Third round goes to mikal and fourth round is tied (I really don't like modern music)
Vote Placed by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: R v R basis: Rnd 1: Wylted "Stairways to Heaven" was an amazing song. I loved the melody of the song much more than I did with "Gimme Shelter" Rnd 2. Undec. I'm not 18+ Rnd 3. Mikal I need no further explanation; "Take Five" was written in a time signature and key in which to be able to play on it effectively, one must understand the chord progressions and time signature. The DB Quartet killed Take Five; whilst Billie Holiday was also a great singer, the song that was posted was nothing to meet the difficulties that "Take Five" presented Rnd 4. Mikal The energy presented in "We Are Young" was unmatchable to the opponent's Macklemore song. However, I feel that this one was closely won :P Good debate
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 years ago
Subutai
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 2: Both of these were good songs, but there aren't a lot of good comparisons to Stairway to Heaven (one of my favorite songs), so con wins here. Round 3: I didn't find either song very good. My preference to one of the other was not enough for me to award a point to either debater. Round 4: This was close, and while pro's instrumental was good, con's song was haunting. I liked both of these songs, but for different reasons, and more strongly for con. Round 5: Easy con win, Pro's song is way too overplayed, and the message, singing, and sax lines all make con's song very good. Overall, 0-3 con win.
Vote Placed by ZenoCitium 2 years ago
ZenoCitium
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: R2: Very close. I had to go with the Rolling Stones over Zeppelin. Those are definitely two great songs. R3: Tie, I don't care for either. R4: Definitely with PRO. R5: I went with Pro, but Con's song was good. Good luck to you both.
Vote Placed by kinsky 2 years ago
kinsky
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both were good. So hard to pick.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 2 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: R2 was a close call for me, but I'm leaning towards led Zeppelin ever so slightly, so point Con. R3 wasn't even a contest. I couldn't stand that Chris Brown song. Point pro. R3 had two very different songs. Pro's was smoother, but Cons hits you hard in the guts. Point Con. R5, Pro lost me. I'm just so damn sick of that "We Are Young" song. Point Con.
Vote Placed by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good tastes. R2 - Wylted R3 - Mikal R4 - Tied R5 - Wylted ||Both did a great job picking songs, I based who won on which song I thought had a stronger message combined with how well it plays and sounds. Wylted2 - Mikal1
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
MikalWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round1: tie both had a point of message behind the lyrics. Round2: wytled, Chris brown just has the voice I can't turn down. Round3: mikal just musical, smooth and soft. round4: mikal I don't know the song but it had more meaning to it.