lannan13
LostintheEcho1498

Song debate

lannan13
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

lannan13

Pro

I would like to thank LostintheEcho1498 for accepting this debate.

This is a debate that isn't like past Song debates. This debate is aimed to highlight an under lit meaning of a topic. By that I mean you choose a song that highlights a historical issue and explain it. Voting will be based on which issues have been highlighted as larger issue. There is to be no rebuttals. Each round except round 1 shall be structured by posting a song and giving a brief background on the event and why you think it is important. Topics are to be chosen in the next round. If a topic is deviated from then it shall result in an automatic forfeiture of the debate. The issue/topic must be history. It could also be about something that didn't happen like WW3, NAZIs winning World War 2, or whatever you like. The topic must be realistic. THAT MEANS no aliens and such. In your review you will site the song using MLA format.

YOU ARE CHOOSING ONE TOPIC.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

I would like to thank Lannan for setting this up and for asking me to debate this. This is my first debate of this type so I hope I can do well enough. Anyways, I hope for a good song debate and accept your challenge with all rules involved.
lannan13

Pro

My topic I choose is: The Cold War turning into a nuclear War.

Up first for my song choice I choose "A Letter from the Shettler," by Planet P Project.

Lyrics: (http://www.lyricsmode.com...)

This song is extremely important as it shows the worst from the Cold War. This song actually give a specific incident, "And it was two-handed touch/Out on the white house lawn" (Planet P Project 11-12). This points out that this was during the Kennedy administartion as he and his family played "two-hand touch" on the White House lawn. The reason why it was Kennedy and not some other President is this is when the Cold War was the hottest and we were closest to nuclear war then at any other point in time. To make the song even better it gave several areas where it explains the "tips" for nuclear war at the time like, "And we were nobody's fools/Fillin' in the swimming pools/We poured concrete and steel/When the neighbours had gone" (Planet P Project 13-16). The reason they were told to fill in swimming pools is that they were told that during the Cold War that all power would be out and that there was no way to get clearn watter so what they had to do is fill their swimming pools with clean watter and that would be their drinking water during a nuclear war. The reason that they were building a fall out shelter when the neighbors were gone was not so much the fact of the neighbors telling the Soviets, but it is more of a trust issue. If you have a fall-out shelter and your neighbors do not and the bombs are being dropped. They will try to kill you and take your family's shelter for their own. More trust issues can be found in the Cold War was during the McCarthy anti-Communist raids and this really showed and revealed the trust issues within the US at the time of the Cold War whether the War would be on purpose or the source of a rogue officer like in the movie Dr. Strangelove. Another issue once again showing the tension of the two sides, "When a madman gets a gun/He's gonna point it at someone/If it's up in texas tower/Or over there across the pond" (Planet P Project 31-34). This once again reveals the tensions at the time and the Texas Tower line is actually an allusion to the mass shooting at Texas University when an armed gunman killed multiple people so this section personifies the two nations as people and it also shows that eventually someone might snap and lob a bomb. The Across the Pond line is another allusion to refer to the Atlantic Ocean. This can be seen to be refuring to Europe or even America since the band moved from the US to Europe.

LostintheEcho1498

Con

(https://www.youtube.com...)

My topic is: American Patriotism.

The first song is God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood.

My reasoning behind this song: When you first hear the lyrics it describes if someone had to start over completely with just their family, then he would only do so in America for one main reason. That the flag stands for freedom. Regardless of anywhere else on the world, his freedom is what he values in the midst of the greatest hardship. It continues on to the main chorus, describing how he is proud of his country and those who served in its army. This is now considered as a reference to those in Afghanistan as depicted in the video. The song describes the immensely different landscapes in America and how all are free. It then again references his pride to be American and his thankfulness towards those who have fought for it and died for it. He proclaims that he would gladly stand next to these men who have defended his freedom to the best of their abilities because of his love of the American ideals. This song has often been used as a representation of the feelings following the 9/11 events and those following it. I can distinctly remember this song being played at schools following the attack on the remembrance date of 9/11 and the amount of people who have used this song since to represent those soldiers who we send into the Middle East. This concludes my first song and so turn it over to you, Lannan.
lannan13

Pro

For this next song I choose 99 LuftBalloons by Nena.

Lyrics in English: (http://german.about.com...)

This song is very important as this shows that it's not just the immidiate West and East that are worrying about the war. Nena is a German who sang this song in warning how horrible things can occur. The song starts out by showing how World War 2 ends, "about 99 balloons/on their way to the horizon" (Nena 3-4). The balloons that go up is likely to be describing when the troops return home from the war and the celebration that they have returned. This shows the happy times here, but things suddenly go south, "People think they're UFO's from space/so a general sent up/a fighter squadron after them/Sound the alarm if it's so" (Nena 11-14). This shows that how high the tensions were once again. Many people were fearing the opposing side and fear of UFOs being government projects were heard all the time. This heightend when Sputnik went up so we can see that it has to be a Western Power that see's these balloons and over react. Next, Nena shows the chain of reaction of war that occurs, "99 fighter jets/Each one's a great warrior/Thought they were Captain Kirk/then came a lot of fireworks/the neighbors didn't understand anything/and felt like they were being provoked/so they shot at the horizon" (Nena 17-23). Here this shows the escallation and how this happend to be a mistake caused by 99 Red Balloons that caused this war between these two warring nations. It is soon to enveloped all nations through the nummerous treaties that everyone is involved in from NATO, to the Warsaw Pact, to the 3rd Way. It shows that the war goes nuclear and in a nuclear war there are no victors, "99 years of war/left no room for victors./There are no more war ministers/nor any jet fighters./Today I'm making my rounds/see the world lying in ruins" (Nena 33-37). We can see in the final line of the song that the Nuclear War has killed everyone and has left not one to come out on top. "I found a balloon,/think of you and let it fly (away)." (Nena 38-39).
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Pro

For my finial song I chose "My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades," by Timbuk3.

Lyrics: (http://www.azlyrics.com...)

TIMBUK3's song, "My future's so bright," shows much of the mood enternally in the US as many people. including the government, are looking for people who can do amazing things and help give them an edge in the Cold War. The opening stanza shows much of the status of the education status when the government would interveene in it, "I study nuclear science, I love my classes/I got a crazy teacher who wears dark glasses/Things are going great, and they're only getting better/I'm doing all right, getting good grades/The future's so bright I gotta wear shades" (Timbuk3 1-5). Here one can see that the teacher isn't really a teacher, but is actually a member of the Department of Defense. The reason that this man gets good grades is because, once again, he's working for the government so the CIA tells his teachers that he passes, because he's building up for the federal government and that in itself is a matter of National Security and hence the CIA won't permit the teacher to look over his project.
LostintheEcho1498

Con

LostintheEcho1498 forfeited this round.
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
It can be either way. For example.If I wish to chose the Irish struggle I can do songs like Zombie by the Cranberries and Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2
Posted by 2ninjacat 1 year ago
2ninjacat
Wait wait wait! I want to accept but I am really confused. Is it about a major issue or a good song about a small issue? Or does it even have to be an issue, could they sing about tribes or cultural songs? Please reply, I will debate if I understand what I am doing.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
I'm interested. Am I limited in topics? And how long do you expect for the explanation of why it is important?
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
No Lexus, you can chose that, but you argue that it's the greatest thing in history.
Posted by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
so if I play a song about the big bang I win because it was the most significant thing in history?
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
I like it. If you don't get a taker, PM me and I will do it.
Posted by evospireX 1 year ago
evospireX
I don't understand this... song debate.
Posted by evospireX 1 year ago
evospireX
I don't understand this... song debat.
Posted by evospireX 1 year ago
evospireX
I don't understand this... song debat.
Posted by BootsWithDefer 1 year ago
BootsWithDefer
Doesnt really make sense to me
Vote Placed by Nac 1 year ago
Nac
lannan13LostintheEcho1498
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
lannan13LostintheEcho1498
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 rounds, meaning I have to award points to Pro. Also, Con broke one of Pro's rules, which is to use MLA formatting.