Sonic the Hedgehog and Legend of Zelda are in the same universe

Started: 3/4/2016 Category: Games

I will debate that the Sonic the Hedgehog and Legend of Zelda characters are all part of the same universe (possibly planet), Con will try to disprove this.

R1: acceptance
R2: argument
R3: rebuttal

I will be arguing that the characters, planets, and universes of Sonic the Hedgehog and The Legend of Zelda are not cannonically connected. Aside from cameos, third party material, side games (like Mario Kart), and other media, the two universes are independent of each other in regards to the main game series and canon material.

Thanks for posting this debate. It looks like it could be fun, and I can't wait to hear your evidence.

Ways that they are in the same universe:

1: In Sonic Lost World, there is a special map where Sonic goes through the Kingdom of Hyrule (wearing Link"7; famous hat) and collects Rupees instead of rings. This "Zelda Zone" could show that the 2 games are at least in the same dimension.

2: Look at Links shield, it has some special artwork on it. Look at the center of it. See those wings and bird shaped form. Look familiar? What if i told you that the bird shape on his shield shares a striking resemblance to Solaris, the molder of time from Sonic 06. Now you see the similarities?

3: so Solaris is the molder of time, right? time that could mean, maybe, as i OCARINA of time?

thank you for accepting this debate, either way this turns out, it was fun.

I would like to begin by stating the shocking lack of evidence presented for this theory. If these two planets were one in the same, then the archaeological record would show evidence of the previous civilization's activities beyond denial. If Sonic came first, there would be visible satellites in the sky, ruins of cities, and old highways seen in Sonic. If Zelda came first, massive temple and dungeon complexes would be easily discoverable.

After studying the maps of Hyrule pre-flood and New Hyrule (the most late canon Zelda material), I've found no evidence that these two worlds share landforms or features tat would imply they are the same planet.

If they were on different planets in the same Universe, then the burden of proof isn't on me to deny it, but on the one with this theory to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that these two canons exist in tandem. If no solid evidence beyond cameos can support this theory, then it sinks.

considering the fact that Sonic lives on Mobius (Earth thousands of years after the Xorda invasion, and the dropping of the gene bomb that changed it forever) It could be plausible that the 2 games may have been on the same planet (probably not the same time period). Since the gene bomb wiped out almost all the cities (and altered the landscapes) this would show why each franchise has different landscapes/features.

Also, some Sonic games do have ancient temples, them being the Gaia temples seen in Sonic Unleashed, for all we know, Sonic's were-hog form could be using the same kind of energy Ganan uses (don't use that last sentence against me, it's probably not accurate, just my speculation).

There is also a theory people are discussing, that every Nintendo universe is connected, so if the Sonic-Zelda connection is actually true, that would mean Sonic could also be connected to every other Nintendo franchise (including Mario).

Thank you for accepting this debate, it has been in my head for a long time.

The Sonic Lost World map where Sonic is in Hyrule is most likely Sonic entering another reality. There is no physical location in Sonic's planet called Hyrule, and no way to verify that it is in the same universe or in an alternate universe to Sonic's.

Solaris does bear a striking resemblance to the bird emblem on the Hylian Shield, and I'll give you mad props for binging that to my attention. Couple things though: two things that look similar don't necessarily mean they're in the same universe. Secondly, Sonic 06, the game Solaris is from, is pretty much wiped off of the Sonoc cannon. It's existence was erased and restarted, so the beings/events/places in Sonic 06 and before were erased and replaced.

Lastly, just because these two series COULD have been on the same planet/ in the same universe doesn't mean they were. We need more solid evidence than two similar looking birds to, beyond a shadow of a doubt, claim Sonic and Zelda exist in the same reality.