Sword0fVirtue
THEBOMB

Sonic the Hedgehog is a superior game series than Mario

THEBOMB

Sword0fVirtue

Pro

The Sonic the hedgehog series has been around 20 years now and has been my favorite game series since I was a child. As such, I figured it be fun to debate which game series is superior: Sonic or Mario. I'll be of course presenting for the case of Sonic in this debate. The rules are fairly simple be mature and respectful. Also make sure all information presented refers to information about the games, not movies, shows comics ect.

Sonic the hedgehog took the world by storm in 1991 combining high speed platforming and physics. The game was filled with interesting enemies colorful scenery, and short but enjoyable music. Each level contained 3 acts, all with multiple pathways you could follow in order to complete the level, a trade mark of the series. As such the game provided great incentive for replayability as well. As such the game became quite popular and has resulted in the franchise it is today. However, why do I believe the Sonic series to be superior to Mario? Well first off the gameplay. Overall, Sonic games tend to focus on high speed platforming with bracing paths to complete a stage, as I previously stated. Mario games on the other hand tends to be much more slower paced and much more linear in level design giving less incentive for replay. Furthermore, I feel Sonic games bring alto more new developments in gameplay mechanics than the Mario series. Every Sonic game since the first has attempted to bring something new o the series, weather it be super sonic in Sonic 2 or weaponry in Shadow The Hedgehog. Now not all of these mechanics were successful however, I give the development teams credit for trying to bring something new to the table rather than simply recycling their games and basically recoloring them; which I fin the Mario series to be quite guilty of a lot of times. Mario games tend to play it much more safe when it comes to new content, generally adding or changing things like power ups and settings (for the most part)
THEBOMB

Con

I thank my opponent for this wonderful debate :D

To clarify, my opponent and I are debating which is better: Super Mario World or Sonic the Hedgehog. I hold Super Mario World is better.

Contention 1. Super Mario World was highly reviewed and received by the public

a) Reception by the public

When Super Mario World was released for the first time on November 21, 1990 the public was ecstatic. The Super Mario World almost immediately became one of the best selling games of all time; it has sold over 20 million copies to date. Furthermore, in 2008 a Japanese poll concluded Yoshi was the 3nd most liked character, Cloud Strife was the 2nd most liked character and Mario was the most liked character in Japan. Eventually it was utilized as a “pack-in title” for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) helping to popularize this console. To date, the SNES has sold 49.1 million units worldwide. (1) In fact, it was so well received the game was re-released 3 times. First as a combination with Super-Mario All-stars in 1994, then it was released on the Gameboy Advanced. Finally it was released in 2007 for the Wii’s Virtual Console in 2007. All with little change from the original SNES version. On the other hand, when Sonic the Hedgehog was re-released for the Gameboy Advanced “Despite the original's success, some versions of the game, such as the 2006 port to the Game Boy Advance was highly criticized for terrible replication of graphics, music, and the overall flow of gameplay in general, rendering the game virtually unplayable.” (2)

b) Reviews/polls

Super Mario World was well reviewed and continued to receive favorable reviews for many years. On GameRankings, Super Mario World received an average score of 96.7% an extremely high score. (1) In comparison, Sonic the Hedgehog received a score of 90.7%. (2) GameRankings is an independent website which compiles offline and online data to give an average rating to a game. (3) Super Mario World received a 5 star rating from Allgame, a commercial database of information about video games. (4) IGN gave Super Mario World an 8.5/10 for a virtual console (an emulator) and a 9.3/10 for the Gameboy Advance. In comparison, Sonic the Hedgehog only received a rating of 8/10 and downloading Sonic the Hedgehog on an emulator renders it unplayable (2). In a poll conducted by the British magazine Empire, Super Mario World was voted to be “the greatest game of all time”. (1)Super Mario World has appeared on “best video game of all time” lists of magazines such as Edge Magazine and Retrogamer. (1)

Contention 2. The music.

Who does not know the music of Super Mario Worlds? This famous composition by Koji Kondo on the electronic keyboard (in fact all the music utilized an electronic keyboard). Almost all the music heard in the game is a variation on that melody. If you played the Super Mario World’s music to anyone in most cases they will know what it is. Can the same be said for Sonic the Hedgehog? I think not.

Contention 3. Gameplay

Super Mario World is a two-dimensional game in which a player controls either Mario or Luigi from a third-person vantage point. While it does share many elements with previous games, several elements were added. A player could actually “fly” around the map (not literally but, it can seem like it), extra items were added allowing a new depth of exploration of these power ups. And a new kind of “jump” was added, the infamous “spin jump”. This game also introduces the fun filled dinosaur Yoshi, who Mario can ride around and Yoshi can also eat enemies. My opponent seems to think Super Mario World is solely linear but, this is not true. Navigation through the game has two maps, an “overhead map” and the level playfield. The overhead map displays the current world and has several paths leading from a world’s entrance to its’ final castle. There are many different ways a person can defeat the first world in order to move on to the second world. The end result of the game is to defeat Bowser. There are many different ways to get there. You have ghost houses, the “Star World”, action panels, and fortresses, to name a few. There are hundreds of different path combinations which can be taken to reach the final goal of Bowser’s castle.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Sword0fVirtue

Pro

Sword0fVirtue forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

i'll give my opponent another day...
Sword0fVirtue

Pro

Sword0fVirtue forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

THEBOMB forfeited this round.
Sword0fVirtue

Pro

Sword0fVirtue forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

THEBOMB forfeited this round.
Sword0fVirtue

Pro

Sword0fVirtue forfeited this round.
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
grr not gonna have time to write my argument in 23 min ~_~; wecan restart the debate if you like but I have all this work to do atm and wont have time to write an intelligent rgument within 23 min and so much on my mind
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
whoops i didn't realize you commented again...but, if you want to continue post away haha
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
really? I just assumed you wouldn't go for it I'll continue the debate if you still want me too I figured it was two late
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
opps damn didn't mean to do that was trying to write my argument >.<
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
You kind of need to respond soon, I can't update the stipulations til you respond and time runs out in 6 hours ^^;
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
sure that can work I guess especially since they were released around the same time
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
how about Super Mario World (released 1990) for the SNES and Sonic the Hedgehog (released 1991)
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
Hmm one game from each huh? Well I could narrow it down more to that, give me a bit to figure out which Mario game
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
Pick one game from each (the best of each) and I may take this debate, it could be fun. But, debating the whole series is way to broad.
Posted by Sword0fVirtue 5 years ago
Sword0fVirtue
well yeah the topic is subjective but in essence you can argue many debates are if your arguing for something you believe
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Sword0fVirtueTHEBOMBTied