sllewuy
rougeagent21

Soulja Boy is a genius

rougeagent21

sllewuy

Pro

soulja boy is a genius artist and he is not destroying hip hop
rougeagent21

Con

Resolved: Soulja Boy is a genuis.

Due to my opponent's lack of definitions, I will do the honors.

Soulja Boy: DeAndre Ramone Way (born July 28, 1990), better known by his stage name Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, or simply Soulja Boy, is an American rapper and record producer.

Genius: [A person with] Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.

When first looking at the resolution, one must realize the burden of proof that my opponent has set up for himself. He must prove that Soulja Boy either:

1 Has an extraordinary intellect

2 Has extraordinary creative power

Until my opponent makes a case for either of these points, I have nothing to refute. The resolution is negated.

==========
==========

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
sllewuy

Pro

Soulja boy is a genius artist because he has taken advantage of the pop culture.
What Soulja Boy has done is something people going to Harvard right now hope to do which is making a whole lot of money. The man uses his creative genius and created a dance called "Crank Dat" which he makes a crank motion left and right and pretends to fly like superman creating a whole frenzy. More reasons why Soulja Boy is a genius is because of all his songs. Examples like:
Crank Dat
Turn my swag on
Yaaahhh trick Yahhhh
These songs take little thought and effort but goes well with a good beat. Soulja Boys "Turn my swag on" literally just him describing his morning routine with a good beat to go with it. The fact that soulja boy can effortlessly create music and appeal to the audiences makes him a musical genius. Soulja Boy has topped the billboards top 100 which is a true reflection of how much his music is being loved and heard around the world. Soulja Boy continues to show how much of a genius he is by making music and putting it up on youtube making himself a partner. He has said to the audiences that he receives 15cents for every view and 50 cents for every comment all of his videos he has posted has all about exceeded 1 million views. $$$ He makes money from all the people who voices their disapproval for him on his page with every "you suck" comment he pulls in 50 cents. When you can take advantage of the ones who hate you the most that is a sign of a true money maker and all great money makers have been considered a genius in this world. Big ideas comes with Big money.

My opponent gave u all a definition of genius: "Genius: [A person with] Extraordinary intellectual and creative power."
Well if a man can make millions of dollars and pull down a platinum album with the least amount of effort and have the whole world marvel in his music I call that a creative power.
rougeagent21

Con

First of all, my opponent does not advocate Soulja Boy to have an extraordinary intellect. We can throw that point away right now. My opponent does say that Soulja Boy has a "creative power."

I for one would not count his "power" extraordinary. My opponent concedes himself that "Turn my swag on" is "literally just him describing his morning routine with a good beat to go with it." Does that sound extraordinary to you? I can tell you about my morning routine with a bass in the background!

Now take a look at "Crank dat." http://www.metrolyrics.com...
I don't even have to tell you how repetitive the song is. For a four minute song, you would think a "genius" could come up with a few more verses.

My opponent keeps bringing up the fact that Soulja Boy makes a lot of money. That is correct. This only proves that he has a great manager. His manager gets him 50 cents a comment. His manager gets him great advertising. His manager gets him rolling in the big bucks. How is thinking of a few [ordinary] lines of music considered genius?

Yes, almost everyone likes Soulja Boy. Why do we like him? He has no musicality, poor instrumentation, and repetitive lyrics. The only reason we listen to him is because we have fun doing his dance. Does he attract many listeners? Yes. Is he a genius for doing so? According to the definition, certainly not.

Listen to these songs. For a moment, put aside which one you like more. That is subjective. Think only about musicality. Is this a quality piece of work? Did it take much work? How many other people could have created this work? How much time was put into this?

The first video contains an animation by the music machine to illustrate how much effort was poured into the piece.

Compare the quality of the first video to the second.

Which do you think requires more "genius?"
sllewuy

Pro

My opponent says that just because anyone can do it means he is not genius.
But isn't that what the world is based on? All the things people have done in this world is something somebody else could have done. Sure anyone can say they can do something that simple, but very few can actually do it.

My opponent wanted you all to listen to Chopin a musical genius of his time. His music inspired joy to those who listened to it. But during Chopin's time it was when people enjoyed that kind of music. Our culture today you will find very little people who would find classical music interesting. My comment at first might be strongly opinionated but so was my opponent's when he said Soulja Boy's songs were has no musicality and just repetitive lyrics. Soulja Boy writes music that appeals to today's culture and million of people around the world enjoys his music. So in a way what Soulja boy is doing today is just similar to what Chopin the musical genius did in his time.

Anyone who write music does it in hope that their music will be heard. Soulja Boy accomplished the goal of any artist and all the musicians reading this might think I am ridiculous for comparing Soulja boy to Chopin but there really isn't a significant difference in music.

The point of music is to bring joy to people and when one person like Chopin who's life work was making sure his music was heard and enjoyed by many. He succeeded and his music is considered to be genius today. But ask any average person not your intellectual friends ask people on the streets to compare the music. People will tell you Chopin's music is just something that sounds nice. Same goes for Soulja Boy it is just something that sounds nice. We cannot draw out tapes of Chopin to show how hard he actually tried to make his music so we cannot judge the effort in it. But Chopin's a musical genius and was said to have the music just flow through him a true musical prodigy so making music came easy for him. Just like how writing songs is easy for Soulja Boy. That is the true essence of a genius being able to excel in a art with little effort.

We can only judge who is a genius in music by how much effect or popularity gained from the said music. Calling Chopin a genius when Soulja Boy demonstrates the same attributes while generating a similar amount of success but because he uses a different style hes not considered a genius? In the hip hop community people have said artists like Tupac, Notorius B.I.G, Eminem, and Snoop Dogg were geniuses because their songs had meaning to them. Well I've heard from a lot of people that those songs were garbage. Ive heard the same from the teenage community about the music of Chopin. Soulja is not just repetitive lyrics as my opponent has said. Soulja Boy has written songs where he actually says more than just one line just he has to make music that would have a effect on people something that stands. An example of a song Soulja Boy has written that is not just repetitive lyrics is the song "successful" all the lyrics are from him the chorus is taken from drakes song "successful"

Soulja Boy's music has done the objective of all music which is spread joy to the audiences. All genius musicians in history can only be called a genius with a wide audience enjoying their music if it wasn't than Beethoven's music and Chopin's music would be garbage without appealing to their people. Like the saying "If a tree falls and nobody is their to listen to it does it make a sound?" A musical genius cannot exist without its audience to give it the credit it needs to be considered a musical masterpiece. What right do the ones who judge Soula Boy's as stupid have, to do so. When he has a platinum record that shows over 1million people today are enjoying his music.

Soulja Boy is a musical Genius his creative power if you will, has taken effect on millions and that is the only thing that a musical genius could want. Soulja Boy doesn't write catchy songs because he is not intelligent he is just doing what musicians and performers have always wanted which is giving the people what they want.
rougeagent21

Con

rougeagent21 forfeited this round.
Posted by sllewuy 6 years ago
sllewuy
LOL i wish i gave my phone number earlier could have won this
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
Booooo
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Sorry about the forfeit, I was in Estes Park. You should give more time to post in the future lol.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
BTW- That piano song was more repetitive than Crank Dat.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
RFD:
B/A: CON/CON
Conduct: PRO - Con forfeited a round.
S&G: CON - Pro made a lot of mistakes.
Arguments: PRO - I was expecting a slaughter by Con on this debate, but Pro actually did a pretty good job.
Sources: TIED - It's RELIABLE sources, not MOST sources.
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
man i wish i was a better debater lol
starting off with a bad record already hahahaa
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
A much better argument from sllewuy than I expected.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 7 years ago
GeoLaureate8
Not really a problem. At the time I felt like accepting it, after that I lost interest.
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
oOo geolaureate im sorry but i didn't see you accept the debate when I put it out. I was hoping u would re accept it by the time i put it back up. But the debate you sent me was entirely different I am so sorry my bad.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
He spells soldier as Soulja. I could never think of that. Genius.
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
sllewuyrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
sllewuyrougeagent21Tied