Fictional-Reality
jman0097

South Park: Helpful or Hurtful to Society?

Fictional-Reality

Fictional-Reality

Pro

The long time running show, South Park, is VERY helpful to society. The producers and writers use a satirical approach to throw the problems of society back in its face. This gives us all an objective look at the past problems, continuing problems, and possibly problems in formation and allows us to make change, therefore progressing our society.
jman0097

Con

South Park is very hurtful to society. While yes it may take societies problems and throw it back at its face it does so it a bad approach. First the lack of truth behind its jokes leads kids to think that that is really how society functions. Also since a lot of kids do watch South Park it makes those kids minds to be molded by something like South Park which causes them to believe in the wrong things. Second it does not help anything it does not further knowledge it only provides a low level of entertainment to viewers but once again it dos so in a hurtful way
Fictional-Reality

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent in accepting my debate, and good luck to you.

I would like to begin by saying South Park's approach to bringing the forth the problems with society is done so in a very, for lack of a better expression, an "easy to swallow" matter. Through their use of comedy and jokes, the flaws of society are brought up in a less aggressive manner. This use of comedy also allows touchy subjects to be shamelessly explored.

To give an example, Mr. Garrison and his exploration through his own sexual identity. If you, or anyone out there is unfamiliar with the series, I'd like to summarize. Throughout many seasons, Mr. Garrison had wavering homosexual thoughts and tendencies. He eventually chocked these tendencies up to him being a woman trapped in a man's body, or transgender, because his small town, along with his way of thinking that being gay is wrong, would shun and even attack him for such a lifestyle. After being taken down the road of having the full transformation in becoming a woman, he finally realizes, and only in relatively recent seasons, accepts the fact that he's gay.

Many people today go through a similar psychological struggle as Mr. Garrison did and look at his journey into his own sexuality as guidance. To fully look at yourself, no matter the possible consequences of society. Because if you try and please society, you may end up doing something truly drastic leaving you more unhappy and confused as ever.
jman0097

Con

Ok while my opponent says South Park uses jokes that are easy to swallow South Park constantly uses violence, the character Kenny dies every time, cursing, a lot of this makes the show uncomfortable for people to watch. This is another reason why it is hurtful to society, it portrays society in such a way that people need not see it.
Fictional-Reality

Pro

I would like address that my opponent has not given any sufficient or specific evidence into how South Park is harmful to society and with that I would like to inform my opponent in that Kenny's death is the mere signature of the series; a signature that in one specific episode, Kenny Dies(1), teaches us about the delicate balance of life and death and allows us to address a very controversial topic. Per the description on the site:

"In a very special episode of "South Park," Cartman fights for Kenny's life when he speaks before Congress in favor of stem-cell research. Meanwhile, Stan has trouble dealing with his friend's impending demise."(1)

This episode explores both sides of the controversial stem cell research topic by expressing its usefulness; in that it regenerates cells, but also shows the controversial side in which that stem cells namely come from embryos(2). This episode allows us to weigh the obvious pros and cons of such a medical advancement.

Not one to be out done, the episode also explores the idea of mortality and the concept of coping with the loss of a loved one and just how to approach it.

I wish my opponent luck in this final round.

(1) http://www.southparkstudios.com...
(2) http://www.cirm.ca.gov...
jman0097

Con

All right first I have mentioned harms to society for example the lack of truth in many of the shows jokes only provides kids with a false truth making them think that is really how society works, making them grow up with a bad image of society in their mind. And the other is that it portrays society in the wrong ways making people get the wrong idea in their head. And finally with all the violence, cursing, and stupidity it only hurts society

Second my opponent only provided one episode to show helpfulness with Kenny's death, he died a lot more times and non e of these showed the same benefits. Along with this look at all the other episodes where racism, violence and stupidity are showcased none of these are helpful and only hurt society.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
Fictional-Realityjman0097Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I was not convinced by either side. What is clear though is that CON can work on his S&G here.
Vote Placed by Guy_D 3 years ago
Guy_D
Fictional-Realityjman0097Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The show jumped the shark years ago. South Park does little on either side of the debate. And while I don't think the show is good for kids, the larger question is why do parents let them watch it in the first place. Kinda like blaming a fork for making Rosie O'Donnell fat. I'm going to give Pro conduct points for being slightly less lame in his argument.