TheLatinaLaoshi
MyDinosaurHands

Southwest "Customer of Size" Policy, is this a form of weight discrimination?

MyDinosaurHands

TheLatinaLaoshi

Con

Southwest has a "Customer of Size" policy stating customers who cannot fit into the airline's seat, must purchase a second seat.
http://www.southwest.com...
After sitting on a three-hour flight next to women of considerable size who clearly did not fit in her seat- she actually was taking up much of mine- I think that all airlines should adopt this policy. However, while reading recent articles regarding this policy, I've seen that many are against it, arguing that it is a form of weight discrimination. I do have strong feelings towards the fat acceptance movement and its dangerous ideas about America's obesity epidemic. I think that by accommodating larger customers because of their size is unfair to those that are not sizable. Additionally, I feel there's a much stronger argument to be made about passenger safety and comfort in terms of airline policy.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

While I am not necessarily against the policy at hand, I do believe it is a discriminatory policy. The word discrimination has picked up an unfair stigma, by being thrown next to words like 'racist' or 'intolerance'. All discriminate means is 'differentiate'. To notice a difference.

I can notice that one man is so large he takes up two seats. I can make a differentiation between that man and a normal sized man who only takes up one seat. I can see the difference, and act upon that, or 'discriminate'.

So yes this is a form of weight discrimination. It's the kind where you notice someone is too large for a single seat, and you make them pay for the amount of space they're actually taking up.
TheLatinaLaoshi

Con

TheLatinaLaoshi forfeited this round.
TheLatinaLaoshi

Con

TheLatinaLaoshi forfeited this round.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

End debate.
Posted by L.D 2 years ago
L.D
Why do people start a debate if they only have one opinion to say? You know you can post this question on opinions and see what people have to say, rather than starting a debate, if you are not going to debate at all.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TheLatinaLaoshiMyDinosaurHandsTied