Spaceman
dahrb

Space Exploration is a good use of human resources

Spaceman

Pro

My argument is that the space exploration efforts of organisations, such as, ESA, NASA, JAXA, FKA, and other space organisations in pursuit of space exploration and travel into space is a good use of funding from governments. Yet also generalising as a good focus for humanity. I propose that the pursuit of space operations and exploration is a good use of resources. Projects such as the International Space Station, and EXO Mars, and civilian based systems such as GPS and Global Communication, which have and continue to develop due to space exploration. Space Exploration and scientific interest in space has helped prove theories and given us a better understanding of our world, and promoted international co-operation. A prime example of this is of the co-operation between Einstein and Eddington who together through astronomy were able to confirm his theory of Relativity.

Space exploration has helped improve, global communication, co-operation, and scientific understanding through endeavours, such as, the moon landing's and International Space Station, which were " One small step for man, One giant leap for mankind"
dahrb

Con

Aren't you depriving people of money who are in hospital and are dying so couldn't the money be used to save there lives instead of going to Mars I mean first we need to sort out this planet. I mean Africa wouldn't the money be spent better building houses, schools, fresh water supply and sending food to them so that they don't die. Before going back to the moon or to Mars first we have to sort out this planet.
Spaceman

Pro

Firstly your point "Aren't you depriving people of money who are in hospital and are dying " truly if they are in hospital and dying then there is nothing more that can be done for them, except to invest money into sectors such as the space agency in research which could possibly save future lives.

Secondly, I would day that space is too often seen as a frivolous waste of money, yet it is also reaching out to study the possibilities of operations, such as, mining the moon and asteroids for resources. One such example of this is Helium-3 a material which can be extracted from lunar regolith and in turn then used as a means in fusion reactors, which could solve the energy crisis the world is facing and global warming. As such space could be a means to and end, helping better the world and solving world problems. It could also result in colonisation, which could also help solve the problems associated with an increasing population and food shortages.

Space programs have also shown a substantial way of inspiring countries to unify and work together for example the international space station. If we could use this co-operationg we could then help developing nations advance their standards of living. The whole premise of space exploration and the problems it faces can be applied to circumstances of Earth, and travel to planets, such as, Mars, The moon, LEO (low earth orbit), space travel requires the smart allocation of resources and innovative ways of packaging solutions, such as producing water and food in compact environments and reclaiming products from waste.

Finally, if we have the power to sort out the Earth and help others at our disposal at the moment why should we also limit our scientific goals, when they may be benefical. In effect why should we put all our eggs in one basket.
dahrb

Con

Ok not dying ill people who could be saved. Right now you say it makes countries unify well I don't see them unifying with serrie leona, Iraq, Afghanistan, Honduras, Lebanon, Nepal, Bhutan to name but a very few countries who aren't being unified or included. You say "if we have the power to sort out the Earth and help others at our disposal at the moment why should we put limit on scientific goals" well there should be a limit as we are in economic turmoil and people in Africa our dying so isn't it better to save them then to mine the moon which would help global warming please don't use that theory as I completely do not believe in it what so ever but that's a different debate. We don't have the power to save the Earth that's why we need to cut out unnecessary funding. Saving people from poverty would unify the Earth more so don't waste human resources.
Spaceman

Pro

I won't disagree with you that at present there are major conflicts between nations in our world and it is unfortunate but also related to space exploration as many conflicts are based on humanities need to conquer there environment and do better. As such i propose that space exploration could help unite more countries in the intrest of human exploration and survival. I am by no means saying that we should divert all our funds away from helping developing nations but in part taking the same stance as the Barack Obama who is trying to fund more money in science. I am suggesting that the way to help African nations is not through brute force, but by developing technologies to help improve developing nations infrastructure is key.

I would also like to highlight that it is not global warming in which i was truly reffering but also an energy crisis, which is global and will only produce more conflict over oil in the middle east and civil unrest. Oil reserves are not infinite and renewable energy is in its infancy.

I would also add that in terms of resources presented to space agencies they are miniscule compared to the billions of dollars that are sent to Africa and agencies, such as NASA account for less the 1% of government spending in the USA. And, at the moment a true waste of money and resources are the banking systems, which have caused more poverty themselves and cost countries 100s of billions of dollars. In comparison the space agencies are modest use of resources and help advance science and technology, which i would deem as worthwhile pursuits.
dahrb

Con

dahrb forfeited this round.
Posted by Spaceman 7 years ago
Spaceman
Yeh its always interesting to try and think for reasons against an arguement and even when something is quite impossible to win
Posted by dahrb 7 years ago
dahrb
you no in real life I am totally for space exploration but its fun playing devils advocaat
Posted by dahrb 7 years ago
dahrb
ironically yes
Posted by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
And this is being debated by two aliens.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
"Aren't you depriving people of money who are in hospital and are dying so couldn't the money be used to save there lives instead of going to Mars I mean first we need to sort out this planet. I mean Africa wouldn't the money be spent better building houses, schools, fresh water supply and sending food to them so that they don't die. Before going back to the moon or to Mars first we have to sort out this planet."

Missing premise. :P Why am I my brother's keeper?
Vote Placed by Rulerof52 7 years ago
Rulerof52
SpacemandahrbTied