judeifeanyi
Krazzy_Player

Space exploration should be banned

Krazzy_Player

judeifeanyi

Pro

Why endanger our lives on things that will not benefit us, or even the society at large? It is abstract waste of time, energy and money to explore the space and this should be banned for good
Krazzy_Player

Con

I accept the challenge.

I'll begin this round by replying to my opponent's opening.

Why endanger our lives on things that will not benefit us, or even the society at large?
By saying our I assume you mean Astronauts. I'd like to say Astronauts do not endanger their life but take a risk while exploring space and they have spent years of their life in training and should pass physical fitness test and various other tough exams before they qualify for to be sent in outer space.
Space Exploration is done for scientific purposes and provides vast knowledge about space and other outer planets. It is also used in studying outer space environments and study of meteoroids, asteroids etc which may effect Earth.
Space Exploration also includes building of Artificial Satellites which is far beyond essential for every country and its people in the world as T.V broadcast, Environmental forecast, use of mobile phones etc is related to Artificial Satellites and immensely benefit the society as whole.

Thus Space Exploration is not just waste of time,energy and money. It's need is vast and exploring Space gives knowledge about our Galaxy and Universe as whole. It also has its need for earth in many other ways such as the uses of Artificial Satellites.
Thus we cannot just ban Space Exploration.
judeifeanyi

Pro

Its quite unfortunate that there is such a growing stigma attached to the motion at hand..to start with, my stand in this argument is this' since there are other pressing needs which need to be solved other than this space exploration which endangers life, then it should be banned..to start with, i would like to expose the weakness of side opposition..you seem to be wise in your logic but weak in presenting it. I accept with psychological calmness that astronomers do go for physical training and various test before embarking in on any journey to the space but I beg to disagree that the various test they do engage in protects them.NASA has proven that over 50astronauts have died in cause of exploring the space and even the first man on space Gagarin equally died, my question then is this, this people that died, didn't they go for physical training and various test as you rightly put it in your first outing? You equally said when presenting your argument that space exploration brings about vast knowledge and we can know about our own planet and outer space but the question again is this, what knowledge? Is it to know if there is life there? It has been proven that the only thing there is dead amoeba and it is even because of this space exploration that we are facing some dangers like this falling stones..please don't misunderstand me or justerpose the motion, you said is from space exploration brought about satellites, phones, television but then, is it from space exploration or the knowledge of scientist? This space exploration if we do not know, is bad because almost every country want to go to the space why if I may ask? The answer is not far fetched because the punch newspaper on 15th may has proven that most of the countries that explore the space do it for their military strenght and not for the good of the people..take for instance, the nuclear weapon which was released in the second world war and killed almost a country was gotten from the knowledge from space exploration..so ladies and gentlemen, should we explore the space and endanger our lives? Should we explore the space so that if in future we have any problem we would be killed in just a seconds? Indeed this space exploration is a man slaying refrectory and should be banned for good
Krazzy_Player

Con

Thanks for your response and pointing my weakness in presentation. I'l do my best in further rounds. I will start by opposing Pro's statements.

Rebuttals

1. Since there are other pressing needs which needs to be solved other than this Space Exploration which endangers life, then it should be banned.

Please specify while you are saying other pressing needs and yes I do agree there are many issues and problems all over the world that needs to be get solved but if one problem is solved another arises and it is never ending process so we cannot just ban Space Exploration for that and regarding endanger of lives, there are over 6 billon people on Earth and very few countable Astronauts risk there life in Space Exploration.

2. I accept with psychological calmness that astronomers do go for physical training and various test before embarking in on any journey to the space but I beg to disagree that the various test they do engage in protects them.

Physical training and other various test gives Astronauts the knowledge about Space and fitness required in carrying out Space missions. It is required to prepare themselves the special conditions and environments astronauts will be confronted with during launch, in space, and during landing. All phases of the flight must be taken into account during training to ensure safety to, and functionality of the astronauts, as well as to ensure a successful completion of the mission.
Yes it doesn't protect them but it is required to prepare themselves for Space missions.

3. NASA has proven that over 50astronauts have died in cause of exploring the space and even the first man on space Gagarin equally died,my question then is this, this people that died, didn't they go for physical training and various test as you rightly put it in your first outing?

50 Astronauts have died in cause of exploring space, Agreed. But Yuri Gagarin's death is not because of Space Exploration but due to crash of training flight.
Ofcourse these Astornauts went for training but due to some unfortunate reasons like fault in space ship, fuel loss, technical defaults and may be many other reasons. Some failures cannot stop us from Space Exploration.
Other than that everyday there is loss of life due to Plane crash, train accidents, bus accidents, car accidents and by many other means but this doesn't mean people should ban Air travel, Bus, Cars etc. Life would be too slow and will be unable to carry on if we ban all of these and travel by walk.

4. You equally said when presenting your argument that space exploration brings about vast knowledge and we can know about our own planet and outer space but the question again is this, what knowledge? Is it to know if there is life there? It has been proven that the only thing there is dead amoeba and it is even because of this space exploration that we are facing some dangers like this falling stones.

I'l answer this in my contentions.

5. please don't misunderstand me or justerpose the motion, you said is from space exploration brought about satellites, phones, television but then, is it from space exploration or the knowledge of scientist?

Knowledge of Scientists and Space Exploration are interconnected. Number of Scientists spend their knowledge building Artificial Satellites. But all their knowledge goes for nothing if these Artifical satellites are not sent for space orbitting earth.

6. This space exploration if we do not know, is bad because almost every country want to go to the space why if I may ask? The answer is not far fetched because the punch newspaper on 15th may has proven that most of the countries that explore the space do it for their military strenght and not for the good of the people..take for instance, the nuclear weapon which was released in the second world war and killed almost a country was gotten from the knowledge from space exploration.

1.Expanding Military strength is a part of Space Exploration but doen't mean it's wrong or bad because it may be used for hideouts of terrorists, gaining information of other harsh climates, protecting people from natural disasters and many more.
2.Nuclear weapon which was released in WWII is totally different topic. The Knowledge of Nuclear is obtained by Nuclear Science not by Space Exploration and testing Nuclear in outer Space is banned.

7. so ladies and gentlemen, should we explore the space and endanger our lives?

As stated earlier few Astronauts who risk their life for Space Exploration doen't endanger Human lives.

8.Should we explore the space so that if in future we have any problem we would be killed in just a seconds?

How may I ask. Space Exploration is carried out for Scientific purposes and also in benefitting earth by the uses of Artificial Satellites.

9. Indeed this space exploration is a man slaying refrectory and should be banned for good.

No it is not and Space Exploration shouldn't be banned. I'l explain in my contentions

Contentions

Space Exploration has many uses

1. Perspective
As our telescopes probe the depths of space and time and our spacecraft missions reveal the scale and diversity of worlds even within our own solar system, we are provided with a humbling sense of our place in the universe.

2. Protecting and Understanding our World

• NASA's Earth Scientific division helps us understand the fantastically complex world that we live on.
  • Studying other worlds like Venus and Mars teaches us how special our planet is, and provides sobering examples of how the Climates of Planets change.
  • NASA-funded research scan the skies for dangerous asteroids, and missions and asteroids teach us how we might be able to divert them from a collision course, should the need arise.

3. Inspiration
The Apollo missions inspired an entire generation of students to pursue math and science careers. As our society becomes more technology-dependent, the populace needs to become scientifically literate to keep up. Telling students that “You could be the first astronaut on Mars!” or “You could be the one driving the next Mars rovers!” is a pretty effective way of inspiring them to study science and math.

4. The Economy
NASA does not launch buckets of cash into space. The majority of the money spent on space exploration goes toward the salaries of thousands of skilled American workers who make NASA’s missions so successful. For more on this, and its connection to the recent Mars rover budget scare.

5. Exploration
To be human is to be an explorer. It is part of who we are: since the first tribes left the African savanna and spread into Europe and Asia, we have had the need to explore the unknown. Now humans have visited or settled every corner of the globe. The instinct to explore is still active, but there are very few outlets. Some people seek out extreme or exotic places to satisfy this need, risking their life to do so. Others look to the skies. It may be an old cliche, but Star trek had it right:Space is the final frontier, and it calls to the explorer in all of us.

6. New Technology
Space exploration brings together a lot of smart people from many different fields and puts them to work on some very difficult problems. The result is not only fantastic scientific discoveries, but also many useful inventions. From healthier baby food to technology to better diagnose breast cancer, to farther flying golf balls, NASA technology is all around you.

7. Answering The Big Questions
How did life begin? How did Universe begin? How was our world created? Are we alone? These questions and others have been asked by every generation since the dawn of time. That we can even ask them is a testament to the power of the human brain. Now, because we are smart enough and bold enough to explore the universe, we are finding the answers. In the words of Carl Sagan, “We are starstuff contemplating the stars.”

8. International Collaboration
Large space exploration projects are almost always the result of international cooperation. The Inernational Space Station is the most obvious example, but the space shuttle regularly has astronauts from other nations, and many robotic missions include instruments built by teams in other countries. As NASA gears up to return to the moon, precursor missions from Japan, India, China and Russia are already in orbit, are planned, or are under construction. Future human Mars missions will almost certainly involve multiple space agencies to spread the cost among several nations.

9. Long-term Survival
As it stands, all of humanity’s eggs are in one small basket called “Earth”. It is only a matter of time before something happens to our planet that is so devastating that it changes the course of life as we know it. Whether the disaster is natural, like a rogue commet, or self-inflicted, like nuclear war, it is possible that our home will no longer be habitable. What happens, then, to all of the accomplishments of the last thousand generations of humans? All of our art, our music, our literature, our science, even our very genes could be wiped out. Unless, of course, there are a few humans living elsewhere in the solar system. Space exploration and colonization of the Moon,Mars or any other planets or Satellite suitable for Humans in our Galaxy or in any other part of the univers are an insurance policy for humanity and all of our achievements.

judeifeanyi

Pro

Truth they say is bitter but its bitterness will never be the reason why it should not be revealed..i acknowledge the fact that the opposition team came out with his own argument starting by rebouting mine..thats not withstanding, I still maintain that space exploration should be banned based on the fact that it endangers life and other hard challenges that will befall the explorers..let me start by answering the questions raised by the opposition team that i should specify the pressing needs..i will use four countries as example.two will be third world countries and two will be developed nations..starting by the third world countries, nigeria as a nation, has tons of problems to solve which is the pressing needs ponder on this, in their educational sector, they are lagging behind because they have been on strike for 6months now, in their economy, they have dwindling economy they have deficit balance of payment, in their political realm, their is war, in terms of development, they are zero they lack infrastructure, their is crisis every where like the boko haram menace and the brohahas. Yet they have launched space ship 3three times spending atleast estimate of 7otrillion of naira instead of using this money to solve their pressing needs which i earlier emphasized on..
Ghana on their own part, is minus one compare to the problems of nigeria..they have squabbled economy, they have deficit balance of payment, and they have soldiers of fortune who embezzle public fund yet they spend a whole lot in launching spaceship why not use this money and invest on something that will help boost their economy? Instead of wasting it on spaceship where they will see dead amoeba..
Talking of the world power u.s.a, they are owning the world bank over billions of naira and yet to pay because of this space exploration they do not have oil, rather they base on importing from others.
France also is linked to the same problem of u.s.a do we know why they explore the space? Its not for good of the world but to build their military strenght.talking of the nuclear weapon, it was the knowledge gotten from the space exploration that the scientist used in building it..more over, even small iran and iraq are exploring the space, information from sahara has proven that they do this for military strength..having answered your question on the pressing needs, i forge ahead..you said, that they explore the space in other to get information, now if i may ask, what information? Is it about the orbit? What for? You said in other to know whether we are alone..let me ask you this question, should we spend trillions of dollars in building and launching space ship in other to know whether we are alone? Of what use is it discovering whether we are alone or not? Is it when we discover that we are not alone then what will happen? Indeed, it is absolute waste of time and economy to explore the space..you equally mentioned about protecting our world in case of danger, don't we know that we are creating more problems instead of protecting our world? Who will even attack us? Indeed it is not important
Having rebouted the argument of the side opposition, i move into my argument..1.space explorers face diseases..do we know that some chemicals in the outer space can cause cancer? In mars, NASA has proven that the kind of chemicals there can expose one to cancer and that is not good for our health..even the gas which come out from the spaceship is too dangerous when it mixes with the sun it then shines it rays on the human and its resultant effects is too bad so this space exploration should be banned..
2.wastage of economy. I have emphasized on this for long and this is equally part of my stand..we waste a whole lot of money only to explore the space for nothing..do we know that to build a spaceship will cost billions of dollars? Not to talk of launching it and yet all this while, what have the astronomers gotten? They will tell us there is life here and another day they will say the reverse..drawing our minds back to the argument of side opposition, who talked about safety, is it when there is problem on earth then we all we go to mars? Do you know that one spaceship cannot even carry up to 1opeople? Do we know the population of the world? Do we know that 1million space ship cannot carry people living in a state in u.s.a If problem arises? I will not end without reacting to what you said about scientific knowledge, let me ask you again, is it because of the space exploration that will make science students to be serious and be ready to be the first man on mars? Do we know that one cannot even go 5ookm close to the sun? Do you know that if one should try it, the person will be fried? What guarantees our safety there? Have you watched them while walking in the space? They don't even walk normal and if you raise your leg, you will hang and die so what is the probability that one will survive there without oxygen?
Lets call a spade a spade
Krazzy_Player

Con

My opponent has not made any compromising new points about why Space Exploration should be banned? but repeating his ideology and did not opposed my arguments completely. I hope to come to a conclusion in this round.

Rebuttals

1. I still maintain that space exploration should be banned based on the fact that it endangers life and other hard challenges that will befall the explorers.

I've already said there are over Six billion people in this planet and few Astronauts who risk their life do not endanger human species.

2. Next my opponent gives examples of four countries i.e Nigeria, Ghana, U.S.A and France.

Though these countries has many issues and problems that doesn't mean they should explore Space. Nigeria and Ghana are poor countries and their current missions of Space Technology are of only Scientific purposes i.e They have launched Artificial Satellites for prosperity of their own country as these satellites help them to become self sufficient in Communication, Weather forecast, Mobile phones etc.
Similar reasons can be given to U.S.A and France. I've stated earlier why Space Exploration is essential?

3. you said, that they explore the space in other to get information, now if I may ask, what information? Is it about the orbit? What for?

Again I've answered this in my earlier round.

4. You said in other to know whether we are alone..let me ask you this question, should we spend trillions of dollars in building and launching space ship in other to know whether we are alone? Of what use is it discovering whether we are alone or not? Is it when we discover that we are not alone then what will happen.

I've stated many reasons for Why Space Exploration is essential? and in regarding spending trillions of dollars in Space Exploration, Yes we should not only to explore new life forms but also understanding the Universe. The knowledge to be gained from Space is immense and we should continue explore Space.

5. Indeed, it is absolute waste of time and economy to explore the space..you equally mentioned about protecting our world in case of danger, don't we know that we are creating more problems instead of protecting our world? Who will even attack us? Indeed it is not important

Again this statement is repetitive and I guess I've already answered this.

6.space explorers face diseases..do we know that some chemicals in the outer space can cause cancer? In mars, NASA has proved that the kind of chemicals there can expose one to cancer and that is not good for our health..even the gas which come out from the spaceship is too dangerous when it mixes with the sun it then shines it rays on the human and its resultant effects is too bad so this space exploration should be banned.

Though it is true that Space Explorers face diseases, Not all explorers face diseases and it is not contagious and NASA is heavily concerned about its Astronauts and Explorer's health.
Regarding gases emitting from Spaceships and its effect has not yet been proved completely yet. Thus due some minor reasons Space Exploration cannot be banned.

7. wastage of economy. I have emphasized on this for long and this is equally part of my stand..we waste a whole lot of money only to explore the space for nothing..do we know that to build a spaceship will cost billions of dollars? Not to talk of launching it and yet all this while, what have the astronomers gotten? They will tell us there is life here and another day they will say the reverse..drawing our minds back to the argument of side opposition,

It is not just wastage of economy, Millions of dollars spent brings us immense knowledge of space, earth orbit, uses of Artificial Satellites without which people of this planet would have face serious problems and also as stated earlier it does provide employment to many highly qualified people all over the Earth.

8. Regarding the next few statements of my opponent, I don't think I need to give explanations to unscientific, irrelevant questions and imaginative statements of my opponent.

My opponent failed to provide sources and proofs regarding his resolution Space Exploration should be banned nor my opponent made any counter - arguments covering my entire contentions not even half where as I made counter - arguments to most of the Pro's case and also provided reliable sources.

Thus Space Exploration is a continuous process and is very essential in knowing our Universe. The discovery of new planets and new life forms will be an Greatest discovery of mankind. It creates the opportunity for the innovation of new technology and one cannot forget the uses of Artificial Satellites without which life becomes harder on Earth.

Having said this I conclude my Arguments and thank my opponent for this interesting debate.

http://www.nasa.gov...
http://science.nationalgeographic.co.in...
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

Posted by Letsdebate24 3 years ago
Letsdebate24
I would debate this topic with PRO if your interested
Posted by AdamKG 3 years ago
AdamKG
I support Krazzy_Player in this debate. judeifeanyi does make a decent argument though and I will commend him. Although, he may want to check his spelling and grammar. Space exploration is essential to develop protection against space destruction and anomalies that endanger us here on Earth. Space is a very violent and dangerous place and we should be grateful for every day that the Earth is wiped out form a solar flare, gamma ray bursts, asteroids, comets, etc. Scientists who dedicate themselves to explore space give us knowledge necessary to develop protections against space-borne disasters that WILL happen someday like an asteroid on a collision course with Earth or an incoming solar flare. There are precautions that can be made but we can't make them if we're not educated about them first.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
judeifeanyiKrazzy_PlayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I could not get past the R2 wall of text, with words pressed together insomeweirdattempt to make them seem urgent. This is an English site, please avoid use of Jar Jar speak. ... Given the strong bias instilled in me by this, I shall not rate the other areas.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
judeifeanyiKrazzy_PlayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 1 was fairly even. Round 2 however proved to be very much in favor of con. Clear expectations of Space Explorations were made and justified.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
judeifeanyiKrazzy_PlayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's spelling, grammar, and formatting were so poor as to make it difficult to understand his case. Pro argued generically, without sources. Con pointed out the advantages of space exploration, and Pro did not counter them specifically. Con basically granted all the benefits. Note that "space exploration" doesn't necessarily mean "manned exploration," but I guess that was reasonable implication. Con should have cited communications, mapping, weather forecasting, and climate research as positive economic value. Con should use quotation marks when quoting, and should number references and link them to which claims the references support. I think Pro had a point about developing countries putting resources into space exploration, but he should have written the resolution more narrowly to make the debate about that, and not in general.
Vote Placed by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
judeifeanyiKrazzy_PlayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: con used sources and made better arguments.