Hybrid-Librarian
beng100

Space research is a waste of money and time

Hybrid-Librarian

Pro

Last year N.A.S.A. spent a total of fourteen billion dollars on research simply to ascertain whether striped toothpaste performed better under intergalactic conditions than traditional fluoride based non-striped toothpaste. This expenditure is a shockingly prodigal misuse of taxpayer funds. Yet how does the United States justify it?
This situation is monstrous. What an appalling misuse of funds! Research into space travel should be halted immediately and funds diverted away from N.A.S.A. Forthwith.
beng100

Con

This is an interesting topic. Firstly I will agree in saying spending 14 billion dollars on toothpaste is a complete waste of money. The organisation needs to be sensible, understand the current economic situation and spend money more wisely. Space research is clearly expensive but unless someone does it then space travel will not develop and humanity will remain stuck on earth throughout its existence, at some point being wiped out by a mass extinction or the expansion of the sun at the end of its life. It's fair to say we are a long, long way off establishing a human colony on another planet, but I think that should be the goal. With continued research it should be possible to reach nearby solar systems and possibly habitable earth like planets within 1, 000 years. If you told someone in England in the year 969 humanity would be able to land on the moon in 1, 000 years time it would have been assumed impossible. If you had told people in 1850 that in 150 years regular flights between Australia and the UK were possible they would not have believed you. I generally believe that humanity can become a multi solar system species, potentially bringing huge economic benefits. The discovery of the Americas paved the way for the industrial revolution. The discovery of new planets could pave the way for the next advancement of the human species. The creation of new colonies first on the moon and mars would be a good starting point. This is what NASA should be suspending money on, not toothpaste research!
Hybrid-Librarian

Pro

Exactly N.A.S.A research is completely fine and researching about what's out there is too. However exploring Space is dangerous, unnecessarily and a waste of money. We live on an Earth that is beset by numerous problems. World famine or abject poverty will not be solved by a stroke of a pen. Nor is world peace assured by a United Nations resolution. Seventeen percent of the world"s population has intermittent running water. In excess of 43 percent of sub-Saharan Africa is poorly clothed and housed in sub-standard accommodation. It seems fairly clear what we should be focused on.
beng100

Con

Yes I agree space travel is expensive and dangerous but it is not a waste of money. Unless you attempt something you don't improve at it. Astronauts are not forced into space. They accept the levels of risk involved. You have to be prepared to accept some level of risk with new transportation technology. Early boats, planes, cars and trains were all seriously dangerous to their passengers but over time safety has improved. If the Wright brothers early plane was taken as an example, It was clearly unsafe, not particularly useful and not worth the money they spent on it. However humanity didn't write off flying as a waste of time but persisted at it and improved it until it became an essential part of the modern world. You have to look at the potential long term benefits of space travel. Currently it is not particularly beneficial to humanity but it has enormous potential. Obviously money also needs to be spent on improving the lives of many people in need throughout the world but I don't see how that means space travel should receive no funding whatsoever. It potentially could benefit humanity in the long term.
Hybrid-Librarian

Pro

Hybrid-Librarian forfeited this round.
beng100

Con

The fact my opponent has forfeited means I have nothing to respond too.
Hybrid-Librarian

Pro

Sorry, I have been sick so I was unable to post my argument.

Yes, I agree we cannot achieve something without trying but we need to prioritise what comes first our curiosity our. Naturally as human beings are fascinated by galaxies, by astronomy, by the wonders of Outer Space but unfortunately we cannot afford to spend such enormous sums on a mere whim, and that is what it is. Space travel is non-essential. It"s an utterly self-indulgent luxury
beng100

Con

I think that my opponent underestimates the potential benefits of space travel. Yes it is expensive but it is justifiable for advanced economies to invest reasonable sums of money into space travel. The potential benefits to the human race is enormous. Imagine if we developed a way of traveling to another earth like planet where humans could start a new colony. The economic benefits of this would be enormous. Space travel could potentially be regarded as nothing more spectacular than we view aeroplanes today. The key advances in humanity have generally come about through the discovery new land (America, Australia, New Zealand etc), and new transportation technology. If we invest now in the early stage of space travel we will speed up the process of space development. Imagine if in 100 years time it is discovered a meteorite Will cause a mass worldwide extinction in 2145. I think humanity would be then very thankful for the previous generations investment in space travel and discovery.
Posted by beng100 1 year ago
beng100
Shame no one voted on it so it's a tie. If you are twelve that's quite impressive, How come it says your 15 on your profile?
Posted by Hybrid-Librarian 1 year ago
Hybrid-Librarian
Dear opponent I am twelve years old so my debating skills are still...improving. You clearly have won this debate but after a few years I would like to re debate.
Posted by beng100 1 year ago
beng100
Anyone fancy voting on this?