Husker
Anonymous.Fallacy

Space travel

Husker

Husker

Pro

Space travel is a good thing for humanity. Many great things come from scientific endeavour when it is not circumscribed. Einstein did not develop his theory of relativity by looking at Earth, but by observing distant objects in the universe. The discovery of the electron was criticised at the time for having no real-world application, and now the entire global economy is based on it. Penicillin, likewise, was discovered completely by accident.

People argue that we need to be focusing on hunger and the problems of 'this' world, but why don't people direct that criticism at the bloated military budgets or any of the other multitudinous costly government enterprises?

NASA receives less than 0.5% of the US budget, and satellite technology is used for GPS and for maximising crop yields in Africa. Furthermore, exploration is a basic human drive, and human suffering has been present throughout the entirety of human history. If you say "lets not explore space until ALL of Earth's problems are resolved", then you are essentially saying "let's not explore space, period." The discovery of, say, microbial life on Mars would revolutionise human philosophy, morality and religion. Let's do it. Societies are healthiest when science is allowed free reign to pursue its own interests.

Limits on science and exploration = stagnation. Just because something might be 'out there in space' does not mean that it is irrelevant to the Earth, on which the exact same chemical elements and scientific laws apply as do 20 billion light years away.
Anonymous.Fallacy

Con

My ONLY argument... and normally I would go for a lot longer.. but I really don't have the time.

I want to see how well this goes over in voters :-p

My argument is that space is for aliens. we are not aliens therefor it is not good
Husker

Pro

Why are we not 'aliens'? There isn't a brick wall dividing the Earth from the rest of the universe. The Earth is a PLANET in a GALAXY in a SUPERCLUSTER in the UNIVERSE. We are lifeforms inhabiting a planet that obeys the same scientific laws as every other planet in the universe. Space is as much our enironment as it is anyone else's.
Anonymous.Fallacy

Con

Anonymous.Fallacy forfeited this round.
Husker

Pro

Husker forfeited this round.
Anonymous.Fallacy

Con

we are not aliens. we are humans. vote for me :-)
Husker

Pro

We are spaceborn lifeforms. We are, in essence, aliens.
Anonymous.Fallacy

Con

Anonymous.Fallacy forfeited this round.
Husker

Pro

Husker forfeited this round.
Anonymous.Fallacy

Con

Anonymous.Fallacy forfeited this round.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
DylanFromSC
Ha. Yeah, Husker, I might debate you on something like this. But I don't have very strong views on space travel, etc. So I'll have to think about it. And yes, Anonymous.Fallacy is a terrible debater whom I will never debate again.
Posted by Husker 6 years ago
Husker
Any chance if I post a similar debate you could not accept it please, Anonymous Fallacy?

I get the distinct impression you're not taking this seriously.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
DylanFromSC
That would be a he. Haha.
Posted by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
DylanFromSC
I can tell, no matter what Husker says, he/she is gonna win..
Posted by Husker 6 years ago
Husker
I'm not talking specifically about colonization. There is all sorts of exploration to be done that doesn't really involve colonization, and all sorts of scientific discoveries that can be made witout it.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
'My argument is that space is for aliens. we are not aliens therefor it is not good'

I can't wait to see this fleshed out...
Posted by Immortal 6 years ago
Immortal
I declare space colonization is the best term.
Posted by Husker 6 years ago
Husker
I know. I started it because I really wanted to join the space travel debate but was too late.

By space travel I meant exploration with probes and by actually sending people into space. Sorry. I probably should have been clearer about that.
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
There's a lot of space travel debates going on, is that for some sort of national debate topic or something?
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
By space travel do you mean actual travel or exploration?
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
HuskerAnonymous.FallacyTied
Vote Placed by DylanFromSC 6 years ago
DylanFromSC
HuskerAnonymous.FallacyTied