Sitar
esharum23

Spanking is child abuse.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 5 months ago Status: Voting Period

Sitar

Pro

Pro means I agree with this statement, and Con means my opponent disagrees. My opponent will make the first argument.
esharum23

Con

Spanking is not child abuse because it teaches a kid not to do whatever they are doing. As a child I was spanked because I gave an attitude or didn't listen to my parents and frankly looking back it made me who I am today because I respect my parents and do what I'm supposed to do like chores and doing well in school. Also spanking is not used on a daily basis, most of the time parents talk to they're kids the first time they do something wrong about how what they did was wrong.
Sitar

Pro

Spanking is child abuse because it teaches children that violence is the answer. No one has the right to touch someoneee else without consent. My father spanked me, and it ruined my life.
esharum23

Con

There is a difference between spanking and abuse. Spanking normally doesn't leave a mark and hurts for only a couple minutes. Abuse happens all the time and leaves not only physical but emotional scar on people and truly to compare spanking to child abuse is putting parents in prison that shouldn't be there.
Sitar

Pro

Spanking IS child abuse. Parents do not have the right to touch their children without consent.
esharum23

Con

Now, I'm going to look on your side of the spectrum real quick. If spanking is child abuse then taking away a child's toy is stealing. Now back to the real world taking away a toy from a child is a basic form of discipline and so is spanking. This is the problem, the prism your looking through is unrealistic and only going through your story. Rather than the two people who have commented so far on this debate saying how at the end of the day it gave them an edge on top of other people.
Sitar

Pro

This debate is about spanking vbeing child abuse. Dtay on topic. Parents don't have the right to touch their children without their consent.
esharum23

Con

The only argument you have made is "no one has the right to touch someone else with out consent" and how can I debate with out an opponent who can't tell me reasons why they are right. So, far you have only stayed on one reason. So, in order for me to state my reasons I must bring in other information and never once did I get off topic. Spanking is a punishment not child abuse and is disappointing that people older than me do not know this.
Sitar

Pro

You were never abused, so what would you know? I know from personal experience that spanking is child abuse. This is my body. My father and stepmother had no right to touch me without my consent. Bodily autonomy is a right.
esharum23

Con

Spanking is a punishment because most of the time it is used the second time a child does something wrong. I have no more arguments to make it is now the voters turn decide. Is spanking child abuse? I believe it is not but my opponent believes it is. Who's side will you choose?
Posted by Megatronimus_prime 5 months ago
Megatronimus_prime
Also the definition of spanking is the act of slapping a child as a form of discipline in the buttocks. No serious harm will come from a slap in the butt. That's why according to the law that the people agree with spanking is not abuse.
Megatronimus_prime
Spanking is acceptable is this society and that can't be changed. It is not child abuse because the definition of child abuse by law is a act that results in the imminent risk or serious harm to a child's health and welfare. This is a law that the people of the world agree to or else it would not be a law. Spanking is far from serious harm and doesn't even hurt that much for vary long. Now if your being spanked repeatedly and violently WITHOUT you doing any unjust acts to deserve than spanking can be considered child abuse. But normal discipline spanking is not abuse.
Posted by Sitar 5 months ago
Sitar
Parents do not have the right to touch their children that way. Unwanted touching is assault and battery.
Posted by albina.kali 5 months ago
albina.kali
I agree with con and strongly would like to ask pro how spanking ruined their life?
There is a difference between child abuse and spanking.
Child abuse is maltreatment of a child. Examples can be sexual molestation, things such as locking in a closet, or physically beating them.
Spanking is not child abuse. It has always been a valid form of punishment. Violence is never the answer, but spanking is a legitimate form of punishment because it shows the child there are consequences to their actions.
Posted by Racingfan53 5 months ago
Racingfan53
Parents have every right to discipline their child. Spanking as a form of discipline is a far cry from child abuse. Now, spanking gets a bad rap because true child abuse is increasingly common and there is a fine line between simple physical discipline and actual abuse. But moderate use of spanking, when it does not traumatize the child (I was spanked as a child and have no recollection of trauma whatsoever) is completely legitimate.

I personally would not recommend spanking as a form of punishment, simply because it can lead to further and more violent expressions of anger (or may simply be an expression of anger) but that is not to say it is objectively wrong.
Megatronimus_prime
Also most parents tent to warn their kids befor they hit them.
Posted by TheWorldIsComplicated 5 months ago
TheWorldIsComplicated
If I caught my kid trying to break into a house or something like that, the belts coming out. First time: Serious warning, make them call their grandparents and make them tell them what they did. Second time: You're getting hit with a belt. Getting hit with a belt is better than getting shot while robbing a house. The threat of getting hit with a belt with straighten out most people.
Posted by Janerover 5 months ago
Janerover
My opinion is that it is tantamount to child abuse. The only situation where it is acceptable is:
-use of hand (no equipment like belt, or other)
-minimum taps
-life and death situation, to teach a child the danger eg. trying to run across a road, putting head inside ovens or hand on hot stove

Having been belted myself, I can attest it provides life long trauma and resentment.
Megatronimus_prime
Many kids get spanked for bad behavior. There is a line between a child's punishment and child abuse. Spanking a child to basically tell him or her stop doing something stupid that could get him or her into way more trouble than a simple spank. Spanking should however not give a child any lasting effects like marks or something. It should be a little forceful "tap" to get the child to behave. many people, However not everyone in this society believe that spanking is a accepted form of punishment.
Posted by ABeard 5 months ago
ABeard
Spanking is right for parents too do. I'm going to have to ask you if you had a kid how would you go about about stopping them to do something. A child doesn't have any rights the only rights children have is the freedom of some expression, and self defense. Parents have been spanking their children for thousands of years, so why would you say it's abuse. I'm sure when your dad spanked you, he probably had a reason too. If you try to communicate to a three year old how hitting people, is bad then the three year old will zone out and tell you what you want too here. spanking puts a fear in a child so they won't do what it was that made them spanked. People do this to more than just children i spank my dog for pooping on the floor so that way she won't do it anymore. Parents own the majority of children rights. A parents not allowed to touch a child sexually spanking is not that. I'm sick and tired of these liberals who think that peace is always the answer the kind of people that say "lets be nice to them and then the'll be nice to us". Parents don't have to get the child's permission to spank them. Back in my parents day if you said a smart butt comment like that you'd get smacked in the back of the head which is abuse, but we are talking about a few hits on the butt, and a but is nothing but fat. When I get a spanking it barely hurts me, the pain goes away in a matter of seconds. Give a different answer then just "children have rights"blah, blah, blah that's BS. Get some common since since you're probably a liberal cause your parents didn't spank you enough.
Vote Placed by Overnight 3 weeks ago
Overnight
Sitaresharum23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins arguments, since he/she mentioned that taking a toy away could be considered stealing, while Pro tried to deflect the question.
Vote Placed by SchinkBR 2 months ago
SchinkBR
Sitaresharum23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: SP: Pro makes numerous errors "someoneee" "vbeing" "Dtay" No errors noted for con so they get the points. Arg: Con defines spanking and Pro never counters this, so as a judge, I must use Con's definition (R1). Pro makes two points, 1, spanking is child abuse because individuals should have control of their own bodies 2. Pro uses personal experience to demonstrate the abusive situation. Con counters both of these in R2 by explaining the difference between abuse and spanking. From this point pro only repeats their arguments from R1 and adds nothing new to the debate. Con adds an analogy in R3 that further strengthens their case. In the end, Con counters both of pro's arguments and wins the case when using the definition in R1. On a side note, I'm truly sorry you were abused Sitar.