Jazmine453
jscjvmadb

Spanking

Jazmine453

Pro

I'm pro- spanking. As a seventeen-year-old girl in the "kids these days" generation I have seen the effects first-hand on what can happen when a kid is raised in a household that is lacking proper discipline. Granted some kids will never need a pat on the behind ,which is exactly what I'm talking about no bruises or welts involved, most adolescents will require it some time in their childhood. When from a loving parent who will punish not out of anger, but for their kid's well being. A spanking is hardly abuse. I'm looking for someone with well-supported arguments to prove me wrong.
jscjvmadb

Con

Although spanking was a very modern and common method of punishment times have changed. Children have changed. If a child goes to school and says the words, "My daddy/mommy hit me," children services are going to get involved. Some children will do so in spite. Other methods of punishment are available and have been found to work. I don't see as to why if there is other, less violent solutions we need spanking. You don't need to hit your child to teach them what they did was wrong.
Jazmine453

Pro

I agree things have changed, but sadly effective methods of punishment have not changed with them. In the days when spanking was a popular form of discipline not only in homes but in schools( I do not believe discipline should leave the hands of the parents this is just a reference) children were much more well-behaved. Crime rates were down, kids were more respectful, times were all around better in this aspect. I have said many times my mother spanks me, and no one thought twice. Granted it was probably my word choice that did it. Using "spanked" instead of "hit". Anyway, even if services were called your child would have no bruises or welts and there would be nothing for them to see. Besides, if your child feels they need to get away from you by calling child services, or by drawing negative attention towards the family it probably stems from something other than the discipline you have been giving him/her since birth.
jscjvmadb

Con

I see what you're trying to say, but it isn't that the children were more behaved because of spanking they were more behaved because they got disciplined. The issue lies more with the parenting system of today. It isn't that they need to spank their kids, but they need to punish them. Parents today aren't doing that at all. They threaten mostly. If for once instead of just punishment, a parent actually went through and enforced the rule it'd be different. As for respect, respect isn't learned through spanking. Respect is taught by the parent. That's another aspect lacking in parenting. Frankly, there is a bigger issue at hand. Parents are being too much of a friend. Also technology affects children graciously. They don't know anything beyond technology, so thats all they know and does it teach them good qualities? Not usually. Most of the dumb ideas that get kids in trouble come from the internet. Honestly if the parents would take their kids outside and show them what a tree is, they may not have so many problems.
Jazmine453

Pro

I agree with everything you just said. However, even if the parenting system today wasn't just filled with threats there would still be tons of issues because they don't spank. The following things I'm going to say may not apply to all kids. I do believe if you can find another method first you should, but sometimes this is the most effective.

You said parents are being too much of a friend. I completely concur. After my first spanking I went upstairs to my room, but before I got there I heard my dad start crying. At the time I though he just hurt his hand (even though he didn't hit me that hard it felt like it), and I shrugged it off thinking it was just instant karma. By now my dad has admitted to me that he hated hitting his kid, and even though it was lightly on the butt it was emotionally difficult for him to do. However, after that occurrence I never did it again because I can deal with losing privileges, but I would hate to be sore. This is just one example where my family stepped over being a "friend" and thought about what is best for me, and what will get to to me effectively without me having permanent scorn towards them.

I have the best parents. Where other adults saw fragility they saw strength. They knew I could handle getting spanked because that's how they raised me. In a loving household held up by firm rules where some punishments hurt. Don't raise your kid to think that when he is disrespectful,hits,lies, or is just mean that he is going to get his toys taken, or my favorite "put in the corner". Because if he takes that attitude to school a kid is going to beat the crap out of him.

I'm not saying I owe everything to spanking. My parents did a lot to raise me, and spanking barely ever occurred. However, I knew if I rolled my eyes at them, put my hands on them, or any of this other nonsense I see everyday. They wouldn't hesitate to make it occur again.
jscjvmadb

Con

My first point would be the way you made it sound like the only way to strengthen a child is by spanking. Spanking doesn't make you strengthen it is just an element of fear. Now fear is a concept of parenting I can agree with, but there is other ways to obtain said aspect. I simply don't see as to how resulting to spanking is the only or best option. Maybe in a quick and difficult situation, but if you have time to think of a complicated way to put the fear of god into your child chances are the mistake they made will not be made again.
Posted by Kreakin 2 years ago
Kreakin
No offence but you sound like you should be on a register somewhere...