smartgirl12345
Emily77

Sparta was the most powerful city-state due to it's reputation as a military power.

Emily77

smartgirl12345

Pro

the Spartians had a more civilized and organized government. Even though life the was harsh the security was fanominal. The Spartians produced warriors.
Emily77

Con

I look forward to this debate!

Your arguments, as I could gather them from your previous statement were as follows:
  1. R1: They had a more civilized government.
  2. R2: They had a more organized government.
  3. R3: Security was 'fanominal' (sic).
  4. R4: The Spartans produced warriors.
I will begin, in the interests of an intellectual and fact based debate, by asking you to clarify/qualify a few terms you have thus far used. If you do not do so in the next round, I will simply proceed by defining them myself and continuing from there.

Definitions for you to Clarify
  • Powerful
  • Civilized
  • Organized Government
  • Phenominal (fanominal, sic)

I ask for the clarification and/or qualification of these terms because as it stands, they are pure conjecture and therefore, not open to intellectual deabte. So as I have said, I will give you one last opportunity to clarify your meanings here before I define them in my own sense and dive right into my argumentation.

Further Clarification

A last point I wish for you to consider clarifying is your argument that 'The Spartans produced warriors'. This is obviously true, but it would be ludacris for you to even propose that other city states did not produce a single warrior. Therefor, again, I would ask that you qualify this in terms of how Spartan warriors were superior; else, I will simply qualify the term for you, and begin with my argumentation.

Further, I think the most important term for you to clarify here is in your thesis. 'Sparta was the most powerful...'; It is impossible to debate on a topic as vague as this, so consider adding parameters to 'powerful' in order to back up the statement with evidence.

I look forward to a great debate. Cheers!
smartgirl12345

Pro

smartgirl12345 forfeited this round.
Emily77

Con

Emily77 forfeited this round.
smartgirl12345

Pro

smartgirl12345 forfeited this round.
Emily77

Con

Emily77 forfeited this round.
Posted by ej3467273 3 years ago
ej3467273
I would have loved to debate this. I might be sixteen but Sparta and the Hellenic World is my own baby that I've been nursing since the eighth grade.
Posted by Emily77 3 years ago
Emily77
Sorry WyattEarp19, but I'm a Classical Studies major specializing in military history. This is my baby ;)

I'll be happy to debate you on any related topics if you want to initiate a challenge, though :)
Posted by WyattEarp19 3 years ago
WyattEarp19
Nooo! I wish I had seen and accepted this sooner!
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
smartgirl12345Emily77Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. By the way, Athens was a much stronger superpower overall. Just sayin' :P