mlbrow10
cheyah

Spay and Neuters

cheyah

mlbrow10

Pro

Do you think all animals should be spayed and neutered before being adopted?
cheyah

Con

I don't think that shelters and adoption agencies (including pet stores) should REQUIRE your pet be spayed or neutered prior to adoption. It should be the choice of the owner. This way people will be able to decide if they want to breed there pet or not for profit. Taking away this chance from the owner is irresponsible. Also, by doing this you change the attitude of the animal. So I would say it shouldn't be a requirement.
mlbrow10

Pro

I, unlike you, obviously disagree. I think it is very important for shelters to practice mandatory spays and neuters. This helps to keep population numbers from skyrocketing even more than they already are. They stray population and homeless pet numbers continue to climb without stopping. And in this economy, people are finding themselves returning or "owner surrendering" their pets to organizations such as local SPCAs and shelters. This adds to the already growing numbers in the kennels.
Further, spaying and neutering is actually seen as health beneficial to the animals. It helps control certain cancers and helps keep pets, especially males, calmer and less likely to perform certain rituals such as "spraying."
As far as an owner's right to breed, I disagree. The overpopulation should speak for itself in this day in age. There are plenty of animals available for adoption in shelters, breed-specific rescue groups, pet stores, etc. Breeding for a profit is unnecessary and irresponsible, not only for the community but to the animals.
cheyah

Con

But don't you think it's a little unfair that you are paying for the animal and you don't get a say in whether or not you can breed it? And I can understand that population numbers are high but what about people who want full blooded breeds? How else are we going to get them if we spay/neuter? And by concept alone, if we continue to spay and neuter everything adopted out, wont that eventually lead to the extinction of breeds… it would take a while but by halting reproduction it would eventually happen.
And as far as the health of the animals, I'm not so sure. Cancers? Being affected by spays/neuters? Hard to believe…
mlbrow10

Pro

No, I don't think its unfair. Don't you think its unfair that there are millions of animals without home in shelters that will probably be euthanized because the demand is much lower than the supply. What about the fact that there are so many animals euthanized daily in shelters? Good, sweet animals that would want homes.
As far as wanting a full breed, most statistics show that one out of ever four to six animals in a kennel or shelter are a full breed. And I personally know that (for example) at the SPCA if you want a "full blooded breed" you can "sign up" for one in their WISH LIST. When a full blooded animal comes in that you have requested, they will call you to set up a meeting between you and the dog. Also, as I mentioned before, many people are surrendering their pets because they can no longer afford them... By doing so, many people will surrender full blooded breeds. So, I don't think that is much of an issue...
Now, as far as EVENTUALLY the populations dying off. This is outrageous. It would take you spaying and neutering roughly 70% of the WORLDS population of animals for this to being to happen. You have to remember: two become... seven? eight? The two reproducing will "become" eight or so more with the birth of EVERY litter. And so populations of animals will not be affected until over 70% of all the animals are spayed or neutered. But even this is a hard feet. Because this relies on other countries.
And yes, many cancers, diseases, tumors, infections, etc. are caused by or in reproductive organs. This can lead to (like I said earlier) health problems in the animals.
Here are a few more myths about spaying and neutering, including the expense of the procedure, if the animal will gain weight, if allowing females to give birth prior spay is healthy, etc.
http://www.humanesociety.org...
cheyah

Con

You make very good points. However, despite the tragic euthanasia that occurs in shelters it should still be up to the owner if the animal is spayed or neutered. It should be their right.
And I see where you are coming from as far as the full blooded breeds being available in shelters. My only problem is that the majority of the time the breed you are looking for is either not available at that shelter or you don't have options.
mlbrow10

Pro

Now lets be clear, I'm only advocating that shelters, pet stores, etc. spay and neuter animals prior to owner adoption. However, if you want a full blooded breed badly enough, I am still leaving you the option of going to a certified breeder in your area. Are these animals more expensive, yes. Thus refuting any arguments that spays and neuters are expensive.
So the whole backing to my argument is that spaying and neutering is the responsible thing to do when owning a pet. It helps keep population numbers down, the health of the animal up, and the happiness of the family up. No one (or most people) don't want a super aggressive dog, a cat that is constantly spraying territory, a bunny that is constantly pregnant, a dog that is in heat in the house... all of these things can be avoided if they are spayed and neutered.
--And for those of you who aren't familiar, spaying is the removal of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus from a female, while neutering is the removal of the testes from a male.
Also, think about all those "sad commercials" you see on television... the ones with Sarah McLachlan in them. These are the ones with sad music playing in the background... if we feel sorry for these animals when watching the videos, then why would we add to their problem by allowing populations to grow? What about all the animals still in need of a home? Don't you think that new puppies would take away their chances of being adopted? And what is to happen to them now?
With the supply of animals soooo high, spaying and neutering is a must!
cheyah

Con

Very good points. Still think it is your right to decide!
Vote Placed by Marauder 6 years ago
Marauder
mlbrow10cheyahTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro couldnt finish a debate with me for some reason so it ticked me off so much that I have changed my vote here. newbs who cant finish debates should not have victories.