CoolPeppers12
Ozzyhead

Speed of light proves Earth is older than 6000 years old. (Not disproving the Bible)

CoolPeppers12

Pro

Many people say and think evolution is false mainly because of what the Bible says in Genesis. And in Genesis it says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.": this is true. There is much much more about how the Earth was created, and I cannot paste all of that in here with out cluttering this debate.

SO, you may wonder how the speed of light proves Earth's age, and I shall explain once a person as accepted this debate.

Any one of any age is allowed to debate with me.

God did create the Earth in 7 days. However, was it really 7 days, as in 24 hour cycle? Or was it 7 days, put into words that in reality meant millions and millions of years?

NOTE: When debating, keep the language clean like the air your breath, which I hope is clean as well.
NO:
-Swearing
-Profane language
-WRITING IN CAPS LETTERS TO MAKE YOUR POINT MORE OBVIOUS THAN IT ALREADY IS, BECAUSE WRITING IN CAPS IS SO ANNOYING.

And most importantly, have fun and enjoy this civilized debate!
Ozzyhead

Con

I accept your debate. Because you have made the claim, you, by default, have the full burden of proof. I do not believe the speed of light proves the age of the earth is older than 6000 years. I also disagree with all claims made by Genesis that have been scientifically debunked, but that is not what this debate is about, and I will avoid those claims and counter claims as arguments.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate with me.

Genesis is there to tell us the Earth WAS indeed created by God himself. However, it was not created, literally, in 7 days. It was created in the course of, let's say, billions of years. The Bible doesn't mean, literally, 7 days. To me, it's another way of saying how Earth was created in different words.

The rest of Genesis is true, however. I'm still pretty religious, as well as a strong believer in science.
Ozzyhead

Con

The BIble talks about the rain falling for 40 days in the story of the ark, as well as people traveling 40 days and 40 nights. God's use of the word Day changes from story to story, if pro's logic is correct, which contradicts the God is Unchanging characteristic. No less, the debate is not about this. The debate is how the speed of light proves the earth is older than 6000 years.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

You are right. This debate is not about Genesis, but how the speed of light proves the age of Earth.

Okay. If the Crab Nebula is 70,000,000 million light years away from us (I made up that number, because I don't know how far it is away), and light takes 70 million years to get to Earth, and Earth is 6000 years old, wouldn't that mean the light would that has traveled from 70 million years ago, would come to Earth has....blank?

Isn't doesn't work! The speed of light does prove Earth's age. Bottom line.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Ozzyhead

Con

That is a very odd conclusion. That would be backwards, though. If the light takes 70 million years to reach earth, how does that mean the earth was around for longer than 6000 years? I do not see the connection between the two. I request that my opponent elaborate a lot more.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

CoolPeppers12 forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Con

Next round
CoolPeppers12

Pro

Well, this debate I guess, I over now. I am out of ideas.

Good debate though!
Ozzyhead

Con

Well since my opponent is out of ideas, I have nothing to respond to. However, I can respond to our discussion of Genesis. Genesis' claims have been debunked by scientists on many occasions. Also, if God's definition of days did change, it still wouldn't make sense. If we use the Sun to determine time, and days are increments of time, then how did God create the Sun on the fourth day, if days could not be determined yet? Makes no sense. The story of God was supposed to prove His power to "snap his fingers" and make something happen, and if it does take millions or billions of years, it doesn't show much power. But apart of the debate but I felt like getting that is my chest. As much as I don't like to encourage voting in favor of one side, I want the voters to take in to consideration a forfeited round, and a failure to meet his burden of proof. Let it be known I do believe that the universe, and Earth, is older than 6000 years, but I do not accept the claim that we can prove this using the speed of light.
Posted by DU001 2 years ago
DU001
...
Coolpeppers12, He is debating without debating! If that makes sense. Actionsspeak, Please, accept his debate challenge. I personally would enjoy seeing both sides. Its one of my things. I like looking at both sides of an argument, erm...debate!
Posted by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
I know what you're going to say
----
"Bla bla 7 day = billions of years in the bible"
----
"Bla bla the earth has 4 corners if you put a giant piece of paper on it"
----
"Bla bla your're going to burn for all eternity because you rejeceted a spirit that has no evidence."
----
"Bla bla better to belief and be terribly wrong and waste 10% of your income then to follow scientific knowledge and live a terrible life cenetered around being happy and enjoying the time you have."
----
I can honestly say you're an idiot if you've ever said anything like this, and best of luck with your faith....
----
P.S. Their is no way any of the other hundreds of religions are correct either.
Posted by DU001 2 years ago
DU001
Accept his challenge sir. Id like to see you go at it. =)
Posted by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
You would have little to no scientific knowledge to believe the ideas behind the bible's genesis section even on a extremely different time scale. The way christians say genesis doesn't lower the bible's credibility is by saying Genesis is not literal, serious, factual, etc. which actually lowers the bible's credibility since the bible is proven to lie. Weird saying that the bible isn't uncredible since it lies.... RIGHT? Christians please just admit it....... NONE OF GENESIS IS SCIENTIFIC.
Posted by DU001 2 years ago
DU001
My opinion stands, that Even though the bible says seven days, I do not believe that It literally meant "seven days". My standing is that the age of Earth does not directly impact or conflict with Biblical tales, because quite simply, Celestial, Spiritual, heavenly days are not in the same measurement we as mortals with a finite life see it. We have to take in consideration that God, an Infinite Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient being has a different time scale then us. Also, it was we, humans, who AFTER the Earth was made, used the cycle of Earth around the sun as our basis of time as opposed to God, who would have a universal, nay, Godly basis of time of which we can not really comprehend in our current state.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 2 years ago
CoolPeppers12
RowanM, please read my description before commenting.
Posted by RowanM 2 years ago
RowanM
If god did it in millions of years, why did it say 7 days in the bible?