beforeifall
HaileyL

Spelling bees are useful to people even after surpassing the competing age.

beforeifall

Pro

First round is acceptance. Do not accept this debate; comment first.

spelling bee- a spelling competition. We will be discussing the Scripps spelling bees.

In order for me to win, I must prove that knowledge and/or skills gained through competing in spelling bees is useful past the competing age (8th grade).

"Useful" is very subjective, so to specify, useful will be defined as the following:

Spelling bees and the knowledge gained through them...

1) will assist in achieving success in the workplace

2) teach general life skills (i.e. common sense, bartering)

3) will be used past 8th grade.

For Con to win, he/she must dispute my points and/or make arguments suggesting that spelling bees are impractical and useless. He/she must also outweigh my arguments.

Last round is rebuttals ONLY.
HaileyL

Con

I accept your debate
beforeifall

Pro

beforeifall forfeited this round.
HaileyL

Con

First, to clarify I do not disagree with pro on the argument , that spelling bees are useful IN SCHOOL after 8th grade.

1) Spellers tend have a strong interest in STEM

Spelling bee participants often to show a strong interest in S.T.E.M fields.Spelling bee Participants enter STEM fields at a higher rate than non-participants. STEM is comprised mostly of numbers and computation, while knowledge of word roots and definitions is not completely futile, it is most definitely non-essential.
http://www.educause.edu...

2) teach general life skills
Life Skills-a skill that is necessary or desirable for full participation in everyday life.
Spelling bees can be crucial to your academic life, but in terms of your everyday life...not so much. According to this statement, the pro is claiming that competing in spelling bees is a necessary or desirable for full participation in everyday life.

3) As I said earlier, I concede to this argument.
beforeifall

Pro

A) Spellers go to the STEM fields

Critical Thinking and Application Skills
In order to succeed in the STEM fields, or basically any field, one must be able to think critically and apply concepts thoroughly. Both of those things are taught through spelling bees. Contrary to popular belief, successful spellers do not memorize the entire dictionary. The Webster's Third International Dictionary (unabridged) and it's Addenda section are too big for anyone to memorize. Instead, spellers apply roots from many languages and language rules to piece together words. Therefore, spelling increasing mental capacity of application concepts and critical thinking skills. Those are the key skills found in spellers.

Spellers are doing extremely well everywhere.
First, I would like to dissent the "fact" that most spellers go to STEM fields. The source that she lists NEVER states that. The source is simply explaining the need for more people in the IT fields. In reality, spellers are typically businessmen, lawyers, and doctors. Only one of those professions fit within the STEM fields. However, many people tend to enter business careers with engineering products as the business. Also, spelling are doing well with what they do. (1) Therefore, there is a correlation between spelling and success in jobs later in life. This correlation has existed from Rebecca Sealfon to Daniel Greenblatt to thousands of others. These kids go to top universities and end up as top people in their career.

B) Teaching General Life Skills
Spelling is key to everyday life
Open your eyes; idiots surround us. But why? Why are they idiots? Is it because they don't know random facts like in Jeopardy!, or is is because they have a low IQ? No. It's because they lack common sense.
common sense- good sense and sound judgment in practical matters.
Common sense is gained when one can apply his or her knowledge. As I stated before, spelling is an application contest. Spellers gain common sense through doing the bees. Not just random facts.

Poise, Stage Fright, Competition, Perseverance, Humbleness, Commitment, Pressure
These are just some of the many life skills that are taught through spelling. Most of these are intuitive. Spelling occurs on stage in front of many people. When kids go on stage, they learn how to properly carry themselves even when there is a huge audience in front of them. When they reach the higher rungs of competition, success and prizes are bigger and more significant. It gives them incentive to stay committed to spelling and keep trying even when they lose. Perseverance and humbleness are all about being a good loser and winner. They are both intuitive, so I will not explain how it is gained unless Con requests. Spellers learn how to think critically and stay calm in high pressure situations. Spellers rarely know their words in higher levels, so they must apply concepts even when they are nervous. Finally, kids learn how to strategize. They learn how to find patterns in words and exceptions to rules they use. They try to figure out how the Bee Committee picks their words and plan accordingly. Con's statement that spelling is purely academic is completely false.

C) Spelling is used past 8th Grade in School
Con has already conceded to this argument. In reality, most spellers are going to end up in careers that require their brain over their body. If spelling is used in academic things past middle school, then it is actually extremely beneficial for people to do spelling. They end up in a highly ranked university and are looked up to by companies. Because of the skills spelling requires, the spellers will clearly be successful.

I have proven that all of Con's claims are false. Therefore, kids should enter spelling bees because they are used past 8th grade in school. They teach key life skills and help increase success in the workplace. They teach common sense and critical thinking schools. In this day in age, learning to apply knowledge is truly the most important skill for anyone interested in working in academic careers.

Sorry for forfeiting earlier Con! I forgot to post an argument. Regardless, your turn!
HaileyL

Con

I've had a change of opinion, therefore I forfeit.
beforeifall

Pro

beforeifall forfeited this round.
HaileyL

Con

HaileyL forfeited this round.
beforeifall

Pro

beforeifall forfeited this round.
HaileyL

Con

HaileyL forfeited this round.
Posted by HaileyL 2 years ago
HaileyL
Sorry the link in the argument is http://changetheequation.org...