O.Z
Juris_Naturalis

Spider-Man is the greatest Marvel character of all time

Juris_Naturalis

O.Z

Pro

Alright, give it your best shot. As a glorified nerd, I often get into these debates with my friends on who is the better hero in Marvel. My vote goes to Spider-Man. He may not be the strongest or thes fastest, but by God, he is the greatest of them all. Can anyone deny that without cringing? So please, if you have someone else to bring to the table, please do. Im all ears. Excelsior.
Juris_Naturalis

Con

This will be fun. Thank you for this debate.
O.Z

Pro

Thank you for accepting, let us begin. Well, where do we begin? At the beginning I suppose. August, 1964, Co-creators Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created the greatest superhero in Marvel History. As I am sure you are quite well aware of, this new character became quite popular. Why? Because Peter Parker is the everyman. He is just a normal guy...with spider powers and a genius intelligence. These two co creators created a character who was constantly harrased and bullied through most of his childhood, something a lot of kids can relate too. That simple fact made me instantly love Spider-Man, because he was a guy just like me. Also, he was a groundbreaking superhero. Most teenage heroes at that time were mere sidekicks, like Robin or Bucky. Here, Spider-Man was a normal high schooler, and rose to become one of the greatest heroes Marvel has ever known. Besides the fact that he is one of Marvel's well known and a flagship character, basically the face of Marvel comics, kind of like how Iron man, as Robert Downey Jr., is the face of the Avengers franchise. Everyone knows who he is, what he can do, and his importance. he's not all in your face as superman, not as dark and gritty as wolverine, but funny and light hearted, which in comics, is kind of hard to come by given the universe they take place in. I look forward to seeing your chosen character sir. Good luck.
Juris_Naturalis

Con

I take it from the title, it's not my job to prove one character greater than Spider man, but to simply disprove your thesis. So I may reference another superhero or 2 in the other aspects of a superhero like powers or combat capabilities. But when it comes to personality and personal relation, I think Captain America has it in the bag. Captain America started out in a situation very much like Peter Parker, a scrawny teenager who was frequently bullied and rejected in school. When the 3rd Reich rolls around, Steve Rogers attempted to enlist, but was rejected due to his physique. But he doesn't stop there, he continues to attempt to enlist multiple times which draws the attention of General Chester Phillips. Phillips offers Rogers a chance to be a part of the Army's super-soldier project, and is then used a guinea pig per se, to test out a new serum that enhances physical performance. The serum works is a success, and from this point on, he is christened Captain America and works in junction with the U.S Military, and later, S.H.I.E.L.D. What I find amazing is that even though Roger's came from a similar background as Parker, he turned out radically different. Parker is comical and lighthearted, but his comics don't seem to have a realistic aura about them. Roger's on the other hand, is by no means a comic like spiderman, but his patriotism towards his country as well as his bond with his brothers on the battlefield and humility as a fellow soldier, gives Captain America points over Spider man in my book.
O.Z

Pro

Well, I should have elaborated the argument further. You are supposed to dismantle my theory, but if not Spider-Man, then Who? You said Captain America, which I kind of expected. He is truly a hero in the Marvel universe. Cap does come from a similar background to Peter, and he turns out to be a huge hero to Shield and the Avengers as a whole. Now, onto your argument that Spider-Man is not realistic. I agree completely, but its a comic book. It's not exactly the most realistic of books. But then again, neither is Cap. Super soldier, seventy years old and not even slowing down, a star spangly outfit! Yeah, that's realistic. Yes, Cap gets brownie points because he is a loyal soldier and great team player. His patriotism brings a tear to my eye...But even though he is heroic, that doesn't necessarily make him "The greatest Marvel Character."
A lot of characters in the Marvel Universe have saved the day. Wolverine, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Ghost Rider, even Deadpool at one point. It may be immoral, but the glory goes to Spider-Man because everyone knows who he is. Some in some remote parts of the world won't recognize Captain America, like probably North Korea, but I'm willing to bet an arm and a leg that they know exactly who Spider-Man is. That's not to say Spider-Man hasn't had his heroic moments. If he was never created, people probably wouldn't read as much comics as they do. Plus, Cap as a Person is always so serious. It's hard to connect with him when he's this brown-nose spangly man when there is a sarcastic nerd swinging around. And that's really one of the major advantages of the Web head. He a people person, and he's so connectable that you could almost see yourself in his shoes, and that's what makes him my hero. I can't really imagine myself in a Captain America outfit. I love my country but...just no.
Juris_Naturalis

Con

Ok, I'll stick with Cap then. And what I meant by more realistic, is that if we were ever in our day to have a real super hero, It would probably be something like Captain America. To your comment about North Korea, Yes they probably won't have Captain America comics, but they probably wouldn't have any spiderman either considering they rank last in freedom of the press. So I doubt they have any Marvel or D.C comics to begin with, considering all their media is owned by the government(1). And yes, Captain America is a serious person. Because he has to be. In the comics, he's an internationally known man and the leader of an organisation who's job it is to pretty much protect the world from anything America can't handle on it's own (The Avengers). Captain America can't be sarcastic and funny, because then no one would take him seriously. He doesn't have the benefit of having an alter ego no one knows about like spiderman does. On that same note, spiderman CAN be sarcastic and funny all the time because he really has no public expectations to live up to. Very few people outside New York know who spiderman was (until he joined the avengers that is) so Peter Parker had the advantage of being a sarcastic guy because he knows the public won't take him any less seriously.

1.http://www.freedomhouse.org...
Posted by O.Z 4 years ago
O.Z
I think this will be a fun one too. It takes me back to the days when me and my friends would sit and argue about which superhero was cooler.
Posted by enclave101 4 years ago
enclave101
I love spider-man; he's the best!!!!
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
I might just accept this if only because I think Peter Parker is a petulant man-child.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
This could be a fun one. I suggest editing to give a definition of great, or anything else relevant.

I'm not accepting the debate (it's so subjective, it might be better in the opinion section... plus I don't want to noob-snipe), but I'd say Cyclops may be greater by the standards of his emotional arcs and accomplishments (as much as neither character can hold onto anything, due to it being a soap-opera). My favorite is Shatter-Star. I'm only just getting back into reading Spiderman, now that his deal with the devil to have never moved out from his aunt is finally no longer relevant.
Vote Placed by PatriotPerson 4 years ago
PatriotPerson
O.ZJuris_NaturalisTied
Reasons for voting decision: a
Vote Placed by mananlak 4 years ago
mananlak
O.ZJuris_NaturalisTied
Reasons for voting decision: A better argument and sources make my vote Con's.
Vote Placed by Napoleon_Dynamite_915 4 years ago
Napoleon_Dynamite_915
O.ZJuris_NaturalisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spider-Man is nowhere near the greatest Marvel Superhero of all time. Most of this debate was about what superhero was easiest to relate to, but a superhero can be more than that. Sure, being easy to relate to is a good trait for a superhero, but we also look up to the ones we know we cannot be. Think about the Hulk, who, by the way, I think is the greatest Marvel Superhero. We all know that unless we get caught in the blast of a gamma ray bomb we cannot become the Hulk, but we still admire him as an amazing superhero. The point of superheroes is not for us to relate to them, but for us to dream of being them.