NipplezSanchez
MyDinosaurHands

Spiderman would beat Batman

MyDinosaurHands

NipplezSanchez

Pro

Spiderman would beat Batman in a fight and There is a lot to back it up.
MyDinosaurHands

Con

Thanks to my opponent for starting up this debate, because I love talking about Batman.

Since my opponent has not specified any ground rules for debate structure, I'm just going to get started now.

I believe Spiderman and Batman have certain things in common that would bring them even in a fight, if not for certain things Batman has going for him, that push him past Spiderman in a fight. That is what I will be showing: the things that Batman has better, or is better at, that will allow him to beat Spiderman.

1) He is Smarter

Batman is called the Greatest Detective in the World for a reason. Certainly, Batman can get down and brawl if he needs to, but even when he does, he tends to fight with his brains[1]. Many of his fights that he knows will be against a formidable opponent are fights that he makes a plan for. The best example of his plan making abilities that come to my mind are: his fight against the Super Mutant[1], his plans against the JLA[2], and his fight against Superman[3][4]. You will see in all of these his forethought and intelligence in combat.

2) He has More Resources

It's obvious, Bruce Wayne is a billionaire, and Peter Parker takes pictures for the newspapers. Batman can whip up whatever he needs for a fight with all of his money, Spiderman can't.

3) Hand to Hand Combat

Batman excels at hand to hand combat[5], he was trained by ninjas[6][7]. Spiderman has no combat training. Certainly, Spiderman has super-strength, but Batman has never been incapable of overcoming an opponent who is stronger than him[1][3]. Batman with his intelligence could either plan out a way to get Spiderman into hand to hand combat, or figure it out on the fly. The point is, this is a major weak point for Spiderman in a fight against Batman.

I'll bring up more aspects of Batman's fighting abilities after my opponent posts his arguments. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the videos!

[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]
NipplezSanchez

Pro

To start off, I will review my opponent's arguments and put my thoughts in.

1.) "He is smarter"

Batman is a genius, there is no denying it. However you must keep in mind that Peter Parker is a science whiz.
Also I would like to point this out.

Spiderman's IQ: 250
Batman's IQ: 192

Spiderman also has a great amount of intelligence when it comes to strategic combat as well. That can also be proven in many of his fights against The Rhino, Electro, Venom, The lizard etc..

http://wiki.answers.com...
http://wiki.answers.com...'s_IQ

2.) "He has More Resources"

Batman has a lot of money and gear, and Spiderman has nothing? Wrong. Spiderman's resources are his powers. Spiderman has super strength, his webs, agility like no other, he can climb anything, his Spidey senses and much more.
Those are all in place of Batman's gear and gadgets which makes up for his lack of being rich and having equipment.

3.) " Hand to Hand Combat"

Spiderman has hand to hand combat that could beat Batman easily. Spiderman has super strength that makes him stronger than Batman. Also his webs can be used for defensive and offensive combat. Finally, the Main reason of why Spiderman has an advantage in hand to hand combat is because of his Spidey sense. That is like being trained by ninjas times 100. He knows where and when Batman will hit and he can use that to his advantage.

I will now post my arguments of why Spiderman is better than Batman:

Spiderman:
Can climb walls
can shoot webs
has super strength
fights actual super villains
has to face the difficulties of being a teenager and young adult
gets his girl

Batman:
Is rich
Knows martial arts (very original)
Fights crazies and drug dealers
Doesn't get his girl

Also, anyone can replace Batman if they become super rich and their parents die. However there is only one Spiderman.

Good luck, I look forward to your response.
MyDinosaurHands

Con

Thanks Pro.

I'm going to start this round with counter-rebuttals, and then I'll move onto rebuttals of Pro's main argument.

1) Counter "He is Smarter"

After thorough reading of Pro's links to back up the statement that Spiderman is smarter, I am unable to find Batman's IQ mentioned anywhere in the information provided. In the link for Spiderman, an IQ is listed yes, but no source is listed to prove this is from a comic book or TV show, and so as far as we know this was pulled out of thin air.

Pro also makes mention of villains Spiderman fights with intelligence. However, just because Spiderman can do that too, doesn't mean he can do it better than Batman. Spiderman is generally known for his improvised fighting style, and this can also be true for his planning. He may make plans in the moment, but Batman will have a plan before facing him.

2) Counter "He has More Resources"

This Counter-Rebuttal will focus on how all of the resources my opponent says would help Spiderman beat Batman don't do that.

First he says Spiderman has super strength. That doesn't matter in regards to fighting Batman, who has had many foes with super strength, and has overcome them. One good example of this is Bane[1]. Also, refer back to the two videos in my previous round, with Superman and Deathstroke. Deathstroke has had his strength enhanced thanks to military experiments[2].

Second my opponent brings up webs. There are quite a few counters I can conceive of Batman using to this. First it should be noted that Spiderman has had web shooting devices on his wrists and has also been capable of shooting webs without them[3], whichever it is depends on what comic you're reading or what movie you're watching. If we're talking about web shooters, Batman could use a portable EMP to disable them, or if they're not electronic, he could employ ice grenades to freeze them over. If Spiderman is biologically able to shoot webs, ice grenades are still an option, as well as chemicals on the part of Batman. Batman has shown himself to be a master of chemicals, and one ready example can be found from the previous round's video of him fighting Superman. The fight ends with Batman apparently dying, however that is only because of a pill he has created to fake the death[4]. There will be more examples of his chemical mastery as I go on. Even if these techniques wouldn't work, Batman could fashion his armor with lubricants to prevent the webs from sticking to him.

Next my opponent talks about Spiderman's ability to climb and his agility. In my previous round, I showed a video in which Batman uses a sonic gun[4] to disorient Superman. He could use this on Spiderman to disrupt his balance, nullifying the advantages gained by his agility.

As for the Spidey sense, chemical nullifiers have been used by his opponents in the past (Goblin and Hobgoblin)[3]. Batman could create a chemical to disrupt his Spidey sense. I am confident in this due to Batman's role in Justice League: Doom[5]. His plans for the Justice League members included nanobots, molecular compounds, and fear toxins. If he can do those things, he should be able to develop a chemical to nullify Spidey Sense.

As for my opponents following sections, they all contain things that have already been covered, or are not pertinent to a debate over whether or not Spiderman or Batman would win in a fight.

[1] That's the video, I won't annoy people and post it twice
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://dc.wikia.com...
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...
NipplezSanchez

Pro

As my opponent did, I will respond to the existing arguments, then put my own.

1.) "He is Smarter"

Okay, well I'm not going to write a lot about this because the main argument against it was that the links were unreliable.
As for the counter of saying just because Spiderman can do it, doesn't mean that Batman can't. My counter for that is simply that until we see Batman face villains equal to Spiderman's villains, there can be nothing but a win for Spiderman.

My opponent also states: "Spiderman is generally known for his improvised fighting style, and this can also be true for his planning. He may make plans in the moment, but Batman will have a plan before facing him."

I don't see that a strong opposing argument. This statement is lucid in saying that Spiderman is well know for improvised fighting, but he can also plan the fight well. Batman will have a plan for the fight. No detail in the statement elaborating on his idea.

2.) "He has More Resources"

My opponent has picked each individual thing that Spiderman has as an advantage and said why they don't help him against Batman, however he failed to realized how powerful Spiderman is BECAUSE they are all put together, not individual.

Super strength doesn't matter because Batman has versed many villains with it.
Webs don't matter because Batman can destroy them.
Climbing doesn't matter because Batman can counter it.
Spidey sense doesn't matter because Batman can use chemicals to counter it.

This is how I came across the counter to the resources and here is my counter to that.

As I said above, all you did was pick out reasons why each of these things can fail Spiderman.
There have been incidents where these things do fail Spiderman, however, in the end, he always overcomes it and wins.
You also failed to realize that Spiderman is fully aware of the fact that this could happen, he wouldn't walk into fight unaware of his weaknesses. This being said taking away each of his powers is a slim to none chance.
My last point on this subject is to say again that my opponent failed to realized that putting all of these powers makes Spiderman incredible. Maybe if he only had one or two out of all of these, it would be easier to eliminate them, but he doesn't only have one or two. He has all. These put together will also make it almost impossible for Batman to be able to eliminate all of them.

Now I will add one more thing to support my main argument that Spiderman would beat Batman: Location
I assume that we both know that Spiderman takes place in NYC and Batman takes place in Gotham City.
If you think about it, they are set up similar in reference to the buildings and what not,
These two locations are Spiderman's playground. He can do anything in this location because he is so adapted to it.
I know that my opponent will think:
'Well then Spiderman will lose if it doesn't take place in a city or that kind of location."
I didn't say that the only place he can fight is a city, I said that his most beneficial place is a city, and I'm sure Batman also has a favorite location.
Also I don't believe that a fight would even happen out of Gothem or New York City considering, that is where both of them live.
I just wanted to add that to my argument and just say that so that my opponent doesn't try and use:
'Well then Spiderman will lose if it doesn't take place in a city or that kind of location." as a counter argument because it would be an invalid argument and waste of time.

I look forward to your response, thank you again for taking this debate.
MyDinosaurHands

Con

Thanks Pro.

My opponent has two sections on contentions in the previous round, which I will get down to refuting.

Section 1:

"until we see Batman face villains equal to Spiderman's villains, there can be nothing but a win for Spiderman."

Batman has faced enough 'super' villains to show he's on the same level as Spiderman. First example is Bane, he's got super speed and super strength. Next, I've got Firefly[1] , who commands an element, like many of Spiderman's opponents. What I'm showing here is Batman is able to defeat more than just 'druggies and crazies'.

"This statement is lucid in saying that Spiderman is well know for improvised fighting, but he can also plan the fight well. Batman will have a plan for the fight. No detail in the statement elaborating on his idea."

Two parts to this. First, I never said Spiderman can 'plan the fight well', I said he'd likely make up a plan in the moment. While Batman will be better prepared and more likely to win because he has a plan before the fight starts. Next my opponent says there's no detail or elaboration. For this statement in particular, this is true, but for the rest of my argument in that round it's not, because I provide many plans Batman is likely to make.

Section 2:

"Spiderman is fully aware of the fact that this could happen, he wouldn't walk into fight unaware of his weaknesses."

Logically this statement is true, but not historically. Even after he lost his Spidey sense to Goblin, he didn't have a plan to counter Hobgoblin who used the same gas(Source [3] in previous round).

"Maybe if he only had one or two out of all of these, it would be easier to eliminate them, but he doesn't only have one or two. He has all."

This quote represents the overall idea found in section 2 that Spiderman's powers combined are what make him powerful. This idea supports me more than my opponent, because we know Batman will able to nullify Spiderman's powers, and my opponent is conceding that even if Batman can only disable some of Spiderman's powers, Spiderman is no longer powerful, due to the fact that what makes Spiderman powerful is his combination of powers.

"These two locations are Spiderman's playground. He can do anything in this location because he is so adapted to it."

Here my opponent is suggesting that in a cityscape, Spiderman would have the advantage. I do not believe this is true, and I've got a couple reasons. The first is this: Batman could easily force Spiderman to face him in a building, where Spiderman's ability to leap from skyscraper to skyscraper doesn't matter. Some might argue that Spiderman could hide much more easily, and know Batman's location thanks to Spidey sense. First, I'd like to say that Spidey sense wouldn't reveal Batman's exact location as Spidey sense is defined as

""spider-sense" manifests in a tingling feeling at the base of his skull, alerting him to personal danger in proportion to the severity of that danger."[2]

So Spidey sense wouldn't reveal Batman's location, but only his proximity. And as you'll see in this video, even if his opponents know he's in close proximity, they still can't find him until he wants to be found[3]

And while Spiderman doesn't know where Batman is, Batman does with this: [4] He uses sonar vision in this fight, and you can see how much it helps him. Nothing goes on in that building without him knowing. Spiderman wouldn't be able to hide, or get the jump on Batman.

And even if Batman decides to chase Spiderman as he slings along from buildings on webs, he can keep up in the Batcopter[5].

Thanks again for reading.

[1] Firefly Video
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] Where are You?! Video
[4] Sonar Vision Video
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...
NipplezSanchez

Pro

NipplezSanchez forfeited this round.
NipplezSanchez

Pro

Again I'm so sorry about my time run out, thank you for your patience.

Okay to start I'm going to, again, back up the statement of Spiderman's villains proving his advantage.

Spiderman has encountered and won many battles in which his smartest, strongest enemies were all fighting together, against him. This is impressive because it shows how he can handle any situation or battle on the spot.

Moving on...

My opponent stated that Spiderman would likely "make up a plan in the moment" and that is one of the most important skill to have. We all know that Batman can have a plan ahead of time. But what if his plan doesn't work or something goes wrong. Spiderman will have his own plan that he is improvising that can really help him in the long run.

Also my opponent used an example of the hob goblin using a gas to eliminate his senses. The reason why this is irrelevant to this debate is because gases don't affect Spiderman's powers unless they are made specifically for Spiderman. And considering that Spiderman is one of a kind and there are no other situations like his that Batman could research off of to create the gas, his argument is weak. The hob goblin could do the research because he has been around Spiderman for so long to obtain the information. But considering that Spiderman and Batman aren't even from the same universe, you could guess Batman doesn't have the same experience with Spiderman as the hob goblin.

For the next portion where my opponent counters my statement: "Maybe if he only had one or two out of all of these, it would be easier to eliminate them, but he doesn't only have one or two. He has all." I think he has misunderstood me. I didn't say that he relies on his powers for fighting and winning. My statement meant that it will be unlikely for Batman to eliminate his powers because there are so many that he can use all at one time to prevent Batman from having the opportunity to eliminate them all.

The next thing that I would like to say is that even if Batman enclosed Spiderman into a building, he could hide and know where Batman is. He can sneak into a ventilation system and look down on Batman or just in a room or anything. The Spidey sense leaves Spiderman aware of his surroundings when he is in danger. So he would be able to locate Batman easily.

Finally my opponent mentions that Batman would be able to keep up with Spidermans slinging along buildings with his Batcopter. In this case, Spiderman could sling onto the Batcopter and fight from there, which he has the advantage because Spiderman is proven to be more agile than Batman, which will help him in a tight space.

I understand that this is my last post so I want to say good luck to my opponent. Also for anyone reading and that wants to vote, please vote fairly by the arguments and information we provided, not just because you like one more.

Also as my last and final argument, I just want everyone to watch the video I put, it proves Spiderman would defeat Batman.

Thanks again to my opponent and thank you to everyone who read this debate.
MyDinosaurHands

Con

---Villains---

First my opponent starts out by making a claim that Spiderman has fought all his enemies at once and won. This statement should be considered invalid because Pro never provided proof of this statement.

On a more general note, Spiderman's villains don't matter when it comes to determining a winner in this fight, because there are no Spiderman villains quite like Batman. If my opponent had provided an opponent who had the same exact (or nearly the same) traits that Batman had, then it would be significant, however this isn't the case.

---Improvisation---

"We all know that Batman can have a plan ahead of time. But what if his plan doesn't work or something goes wrong. Spiderman will have his own plan that he is improvising that can really help him in the long run."

Here my opponent is insinuating that Batman is incapable of making plans in the moment. In refutation, I would simply ask that my readers refer back to the video with the odd title of "Battle Building", which I used to showcase Batman's sonar vision. Batman had to throw his plan together in that situation, and he succeeded magnificently, neutralizing the Joker's henchmen, saving the hostages which were disguised as gunmen, and simultaneously saving, evading, and fighting Gotham SWAT units.

---Spidey Sense Gas---

Here my opponent states that Batman wouldn't be able to re-create the gas that Goblin or Hobgoblin used because they're not from the same universe, and because he hasn't spent time around Spiderman, like Goblin has.

I believe that Batman would be able to re-create the gas however, and I have two pieces of evidence. First, is the fact that Batman does know about Spiderman, he tried to join the Justice League and was rejected(refer to my opponent's video). Second, is this video[1]. Here Batman explains why he made contingency plans to stop the Justice League if he ever needed too. He did so because he wanted a fail-safe in the event that the League turned bad. So, knowing that Batman made a contingency plan against a bad Justice League, and knowing that he is aware of Spiderman's existence, it follows that Batman would begin researching Spiderman's capabilities, in order to create a contingency plan for him, in the event that Spiderman turned bad. All Batman needs to know are Spiderman's abilities, the knowledge of which the Greatest Detective in the World would likely be able to attain.

---Powers Combined---

Next Pro says that Batman wouldn't be able to disable any of Spiderman's powers because all of his powers combined would prevent Batman from performing any disabling moves. However I don't believe this is true. Batman could very easily get a surprise attack in with his Sonic Gun, which was shown in one of the previous rounds. Then Spiderman is stunned and disoriented, leaving Batman room to deploy other disabling measures. And there's also the possibility of Batman using a portable EMP, disabling Spiderman's webslingers. Either of these options would create in a chink the armor of Spiderman.

---Enclosed Building---

"The next thing that I would like to say is that even if Batman enclosed Spiderman into a building, he could hide and know where Batman is. He can sneak into a ventilation system and look down on Batman or just in a room or anything. The Spidey sense leaves Spiderman aware of his surroundings when he is in danger. So he would be able to locate Batman easily."

This statement completely ignores the fact that Spidey sense doesn't give away position, but rather alerts Spiderman to the proximity of danger. He also ignores the fact that Batman has sonar vision, which would prevent Spiderman from hiding from Batman.

---Batcopter---

My opponent states that Spiderman could jump onto the Batcopter. I won't dispute this, it's probably true. I'm dropping this argument, but it doesn't change the outcome of the fight, because if two random dudes on the internet can decide that the Batcopter wouldn't work against Spiderman, then the Greatest Detective in the World can figure that out too.

---The Video---

So my opponent posted a video which showed Batman being killed by Spiderman. He says that it proves Spiderman would defeat Batman. This is not true.

As far as a fight with prep time goes, I've presented many tools/weapons Batman could create to use against Spiderman, so long as he has time to prepare for the fight. My opponent has presented no plans that Spiderman could make to exploit the Dark Knight, and thus within the confines of this debate at the very least, Batman has been proven to win in a fight which involves prep time.

But what about no prep time? All of the arguments up until this round have focused on a fight with prep time. The video my opponent posted took place in a situation where neither Spiderman nor Batman had prep time. So now I need to prove why this video's conclusions are wrong, and why Batman would still beat Spiderman without prep time.

In paraphrasing the video, the commentators concede that Batman is more skilled, but say that Spidey sense is Spiderman's big advantage. And we can see how it does help Spiderman. Batman is sneaking on the wall and we can assume Spiderman's Spidey sense starts going off, and he reacts quickly, locating Batman and tearing him off the ceiling. First I need to say that Spiderman did not locate Batman with his Spidey sense, he was alerted to the danger by his Spidey sense(refer back to the definition of Spidey sense in an earlier round). He was able to find him so quickly because they were in an unrealistically empty room, giving Batman few places to avoid Spiderman's line of sight. In a realistic fight, Batman would lure Spiderman into a building with lots of things to hide behind, like a shipping warehouse, for example. In that kind of environment, Spiderman might know Batman is near, but wouldn't know which of the 30 shipping crates Batman is behind.

The video also neglected several of Batman's gadgets that I have proof Batman has on him without more prep time than he takes to suit up. First is fear gas[2]. This could severely disorient Spiderman, and might even distort his Spidey sense, making Spiderman unhelpfully paranoid.

Second is sonar vision. I've already shown a video to back this up. This would help Batman greatly after luring Spiderman into a building like a shipping warehouse. He'd know where Spiderman was at all times, and also where he was looking at all times. The video claims Spiderman wins because of Spidey sense. What they didn't mention was sonar vision, or how it is superior to Spidey sense. Spidey sense provides a proximity warning in regards to danger, while sonar vision provides exact location.

Lastly is a gadget that I would simply call the 'Adhesive Playdough' bomb. Batman throws it at the Mutant Leader's face, to which it sticks, preventing airflow and rendering him unconscious[3]. Batman did not bring that device specifically for the Mutant Leader, he simply had it on him, as part of his standard arsenal. As you saw it stopped the fight immediately, and if Batman is using stealth effectively against Spiderman, he could get a good toss in with that. If there was no stealth opportunity, all he needs is one moment in close quarters to basically punch it into Spiderman's face.

---Recap---

Since conditions for this fight were never set, I covered both kinds of fights, spontaneous and prep time. I have shown beyond a reasonable doubt all the tactics Batman could use against Spiderman's powers if he had prep time, and I have shown why he would be disposed and capable of doing so. Perhaps Spiderman could create his own things with prep time, but my opponent never mentioned anything to that nature.

I have shown how in a fight without prep time, Batman still has useful gadgets that allow him to defeat Spiderman. By showing how the setting and neglect of some of Batman gadgets are unrealistic, I have shown the video my opponent posted to have reached an invalid conclusion.

Thanks for reading, and Pro thanks for debating.

[1] Batman Quits JL like a boss
[2] Fear Gas Video
[3] Adhesive Playdough Video
Posted by Dig3stingLizard 3 years ago
Dig3stingLizard
I love your name nipples!!!!!
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 3 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
@Nipplez
No problem.
Posted by NipplezSanchez 3 years ago
NipplezSanchez
@MyDinosaurHands

Hey man, I'm so sorry I didn't respond, I'm so mad at myself. I just got really busy and couldn't get around to it. Good luck though and in the last round just give all the rest of your arguments, and then close up your main argument.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 3 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
I hope you all take a look at the videos, simply because of how awesome they are.
Posted by Kumquatodor 3 years ago
Kumquatodor
@Romanii

Batman is the best strategist in the world (according to comics). He is a tactician on the same (or higher) level of Alexander the Great. He is also the fifth smartest person in mixed sciences, an award-winning engineer, good politician, fine chemist, and the second best non-magical escape artist.

And there is a reason why he is called THE WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE! He is considered Sherlock Holmes' equal, though Henri Ducard is said to be a bit better.

All things considered, though, without preparation, Bats would lose.
Posted by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
I just finished a debate of my own with same topic.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
I'm not a huge superhero fan, so I wouldn't have the background to engage in a full debate on this topic, but from the movies, Batman seems a LOT smarter than Spiderman. Batman would probably be able to come up with a strategy to counter Spiderman's webs.
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
NipplezSanchezMyDinosaurHandsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I honestly like both Batman and Spiderman a lot. Both sides' arguments were very good; so good, in fact, that I can't really decide who would win in a fight. Thus, I had to decide the winner on other criteria. Con gets conduct because Pro forfeited a round. Con also gets sources because he used more of them from more reliable sites. Good debate!
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
NipplezSanchezMyDinosaurHandsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided that the resolution so he should back up more of his claims. This is why I felt that Con on e because he backed up his claims and provided a more detailed response it seemed. Con wins conduct because Pro forfeited a round. Good luck to you both in future debates.