lillunchboxbandit
ajn0592

SpongeBob SquarePants is the best show on Nick!

lillunchboxbandit

Pro

SpongeBob SquarePants has been around for 9 years now, and it's had 1 movie, several tv specials including "Where's Gary?", "WhoBob WhatPants" and many others. Fairly Odd Parents is a bad show. A lot of the time, it is sexist. Any time there is babies involved, there is dirty diapers. I don't like it. Tak is based off of a video game, Barnyard is based off of a movie, The Mighty B is disgusting a lot of the time, H2O is stupid, because if they didn't keep it a secret, IT WOULDNT BE THAT BIG OF A DEAL!!! Oh, I'm sorry. They would lose their boyfriends! OMG! *gasp* Is this really something to be teaching to kids? The Naked Brothers Band, where do I start? They have no talent whatsoever! The six year old kid was caught having sex in the closet! The name of the show (enough said). If these people are trying to imitate "the rock and roll life style", they should just forget it! Icarly is not that bad. After all, it gives Seattle some well deserved reputation! (I live in Seattle) SpongeBob is the best. No one can ever resist that ridiculous smile or that funny laugh or that pure awesomeness!
ajn0592

Con

Spongebob is not the best show on nickolodean for 1 Reason: It is bad for kids and sends bad messages.

One episode in particular is terrible for children watching the show. The "Sailors Mouth" Episode was sent bad messages to children watching the show because they learned to curse and swear from this episode and found it acceptable since spongebob was doing it, so they felt as though it was okay for them to do. This is terrible for kids and children should not be exposed to that type of action in an animated childrens show.

Now, the question of whether or not spongebob is the best show on Nick:
Spongebob is not the best show on Nickolodean, i am going to declare the most important thing for children to get out of a television program is Education. This is arguable by my opponent if they feel this is not true.

Education is the most important thing a child can take from a television show because otherwise they are just sitting there, not doing anything and they are not learning anything so they are not engaged and not doing anything. This is espessially true in Spongebob, kids do not learn from spongebob, all they do is watch him run around and be a weird sponge at the bottom of the ocean. They learn only things such as Cursing and other bad things from spongebob.

The best show on Nickolodean is Nick News, the reason? Nick News has kids engaged and thinking about the world around them. It does not teach children bad ideals such as cursing or other bad morals such as ones learned from spongebob. Nick News has people Engaged and thinking about the world around them, this is a good thing because it is also something the parents can engage their children on, because they can actually get into the news and talk with their kids about it. The Nick News is also good for kids because it tunes it down for a level children can understand and make sense of. Thinking of the world around you is critical to education, that helps with your world knowledge and helps you make sense of things, this is why Nick News is more educational then Spongebob.

My opponent, in order to win this debate must argue my value of what makes a show the "best" which i framed as Education. They must argue how they are either more educational then Nick News or they must offer a new value as to what makes a show the "Best".

-AJN0592
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

First of all, in the Sailor Mouth episode, they learned thier lesson and were punished.
Second, Nick News isn't a show. It's a short series, meaning it is too short to be a show and they can't put it on the show lineup.
Third, people learn lots of valuable lessons from SpongeBob.
Such as...
"Idol worship is unhealthy." -Patrick
"Never underestimate what looks like a moron." -Sandy about Patrick
"All you need to fly is friendship." -Spongebob
"As long as you belive, anything is possible!" -SpongeBob
Many other things have been said like that.
ajn0592

Con

I will just start by Going Line-By-Line Analysis on this debate

My opponent's first Arguement is that in the "Sailors Mouth" episode, The characters "learned their lesson and were punished", This does not take back the fact that the children already learned how to swear from the show. Children's minds were already corrupted by the time the lesson was learned. The children had already learned that there are words out there that should not be said and they had already learned how to swear and that swearing is bad. This is terrible for a child who is watching spongebob.

My Opponent's second arguement was that Nick News is not a show. First, i am going to start by Defining what a 'Show' is. I went to google and typed in "Define: Show" on google and i got this response: "give an exhibition of to an interested audience". That is the first definition and therefor the most relevant one. The definition of show stated that all we need to have to be a 'show' is to give an exhibition of to an interested audience. There would be an interested audience for Nick News on Nickelodean because the show is designed to be interesting for children. And of course it can be considered an exhibition because it is showing something to the kids who are watching it. Now i have cleared up my opponent's statement that nick news cannot be considered a 'show', because it is a show from this definition.

Now my opponent goed into arguing that children learn Morals from spongebob. This may be true to an extent, but all he lists are statements that may have been said one time in the entirety of the 9 years of spongebob. These statements, since it is a cartoon, and said 1 time ever, will quickly be forgotten by the children watching, but the 29 minutes of cursing with 1 minute at the end of redemption, will not be forgotten by the children. They will remember that for a very long time and it will make them begin cursing themselves. And the 1 minute of redemption has a large probability of being forgotten quickly also, it is very likely that children will forget this almost instantly.

Now, my opponent never argues that education is the most important thing in this round, so therefor, you (the voters) need to vote for the person who gives the best education in this round.

now i will define several words:

first, Education - "the activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill"

second, I would like to define what spongebob is, since this is just analytical, my opponent may argue this. Spongebob is an animated cartoon. this means it is for Entertainment not for education

third, i would like to define what nick news is, and again, since this is just an analytical arguement, my opponent may make a new definition for this as well. Nick News is a show which educates viewers with education about the world around them.

Now, Since spongebob is not an educational show (its an entertainment show) it cannot possibly get the amount of education Nick News can provide to children who watch the show. Nick news provides the best education (and therefor requires a CON Vote) because it teached kids knowledge about the world around them and they actually are learning, since that is the primary goal of Nick News, not just a secondary effect from spongebob. Therefor you need to vote for me now because of the actual education provided by nick news...

Right now you need to vote for me because of the eduation provided in nick news and that spongebob is bad for kids because it teaches them to curse.
lillunchboxbandit

Pro

That was one episode. I have never seen a cursing kid before. That does not "require" a con vote. The voter's opinion matters, not ours.
Also, kids don't remember that stuff, and if that isn't true, then they are smart enough not to be influenced by that. SpongeBob isn't rated PG, now is it? So, it's not influential or inappropriate. Naruto is a good example of a bad show. It's violent, has blood, and even six year olds have Naruto backpacks, sandals, and other merchandise.
So, I think that SpongeBob is not a bad show.
You are being overly critical.
Vote Pro.
ajn0592

Con

Okay, first, i would like to have you extend my argument about education which has not been argued at all throughout this entire debate. This means 2 things: 1, The Education standard is the only one in this debate so my opponent agrees with me on the grounds that the winner is the person who increases education the most. and 2: My opponent never argues my indicts on spongebob from round 2, which states that spongebob will only ever teach kids bad things such as cursing, but Nick News can teach kids everything about the world around them. This is why a CON vote is required.

Now, i am going to extend my analysis which went dropped in round 2.

"I would like to define what spongebob is, since this is just analytical, my opponent may argue this. Spongebob is an animated cartoon. this means it is for Entertainment not for education" - one of my round 2 arguments.

and

"Now, Since spongebob is not an educational show (its an entertainment show) it cannot possibly get the amount of education Nick News can provide to children who watch the show. Nick news provides the best education (and therefor requires a CON Vote) because it teached kids knowledge about the world around them and they actually are learning, since that is the primary goal of Nick News, not just a secondary effect from spongebob. Therefor you need to vote for me now because of the actual education provided by nick news..." - one of my round 2 arguments.

Now, My opponent argues that Naruto is bad and that spongebob is not. My first point is that spongebob still has bad morals regardless of whether or not kids remember it in the end, and 2, it still cannot claim the same level of educational value as Nick News can. This is why you vote me up, i have proven that Nick News is a better show than spongebob so therefor there is no way that spongebob could be considered the "best" show on Nick.

Now that i have completely disproven the "resolution" of spongebob being the best show by showing that other shows have a better educational value, you cannot vote pro on this resolution because it is untrue, because nick news is better and it is the best show on nick.

-AJN0592
Posted by YouImpossibleChild85 7 years ago
YouImpossibleChild85
I will not vote in this debate but I will say I am with Con on this. I agree with him on the spectrum that he was able to provide reasonable resources while Pros only resources were in one round and quotes from different episodes one single quote in the series which anyone could easily say that SpongeBob taught lessons. But I also did notice flaw's in Con's against argument.

1. Nickelodeon is not meant to be an educational television station unless you watch Nick Jr. which is geared towards Pre-k students where the shows need to be educational. Therefore SpongeBob is not meant nor needs to be educational.

2. Though you give the definition of a television show in this argument this does not necessarily apply. Nick News while it is a series and a show is actually a series of specials that only air on special and rare occasions at that. This argument is talking about the shows that kids watch on Nick on a regular basis. As Nick News only has a few airings a year it can not be in this classification of best show.

3. Just because a show is not educational doesn't mean it can't be the best. Many shows such as All That a regularly airing show for ten seasons was a matter of television skits. It had such a high following which is the reason for its long run. This is true of many other shows that even if they don't teach a lesson people just like to sit down and relax and may really enjoy a show because of it's quality not exactly if it teaches anything.

But as I have stated before Pro did not give a rebuttal against Con's point of education such as I have above. At this point in the debate I agree with Con because Pro's information does not seem convincing to prove otherwise
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 8 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
I just realised something.
AJN0592, how is that episode bad? It's just F***ing dolphin noises!
Posted by antheaaa 9 years ago
antheaaa
I definitely agree with Pro saying that Spongebob squarepants is one of the best shows. I'd like to make a point, that, first of all, in that episode where spongebob "curses", the words are actually being bleeped so the children can easily realize that they are not appropriate words to use (whatever words they are).
Also, most of the children who watch this show wont be able to watch a particular episode for only one time since unfortunately, the episodes repeat themselves over and over again. Therefore, if say, in a couple of episodes, there is a good lesson to be learned, the kids will definitely learn it since they can easily see the episode for a good number of times.
From Con's arguments, I also had the feeling that he/she rarely watches Spongebob Squarepants and so, would be inappropriate to criticize it.

thanks
Posted by s0m31john 9 years ago
s0m31john
Yes that is the wrong label PoeJoe, because 10% is not furry.

See my debate about it.

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 9 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
I meant s0m31john's pic.
*shudder*
uuugh...
Posted by ajn0592 9 years ago
ajn0592
its fine, i was just making sure nobody got that impression just because i used a rather weak arguement, lol, dont worry about it!
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
Oh, and ajn0592:

I did not mean to imply that you were not a "real" debater. Sorry for that.
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
Lol. He had a furry's (probably wrong label) butt as a picture before.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 9 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
What's with the butt picture?
It's kinda creeping me out!
Posted by s0m31john 9 years ago
s0m31john
Grrrr.

Look at the URLs
Vote Placed by shadow835 6 years ago
shadow835
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by shooterboss 6 years ago
shooterboss
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by abney317 8 years ago
abney317
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by ajn0592 8 years ago
ajn0592
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by lenorenomore 8 years ago
lenorenomore
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by dashdustrider 9 years ago
dashdustrider
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by zakstarstriker 9 years ago
zakstarstriker
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by yarnedia 9 years ago
yarnedia
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by fesoj 9 years ago
fesoj
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
lillunchboxbanditajn0592Tied