jack_samra
B-Money

Spoons are more useful than forks.

B-Money

jack_samra

Pro

While many foods require a spoon to be eaten, most of the foods that we as humans normally eat with a fork can also be eaten with a spoon or with our hands. Since we can get along just fine without forks, spoons are much more useful.
B-Money

Con

Useful for what? Forks can (1) scoop non-liquids, (2) stab, and (3) cut with the side. Spoons can only scoop.

The one thing that spoons beat forks at is scooping liquids. But more things can be stabbed than than can be exclusively scooped by spoons. This includes people.

Any liquid that needs to be scooped can be scooped with a person's hands. But unless you're Edward Scissorhands, you won't be stabbing anything with your fingers anytime soon.
jack_samra

Pro

I'd first like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Now then, on to the arguments:

~"Useful for what?"~

Useful as eating utensils.

~"Forks can (1) scoop non-liquids, (2) stab, and (3) cut with the side. Spoons can only scoop."~

Not true. Many spoons are made of metal and have quasi-sharp sides. I myself often eat things such as enchiladas or pancakes with such a type of spoon.

~"But more things can be stabbed than than can be exclusively scooped by spoons. This includes people."~

As I have demonstrated, spoons can stab as well. While it may be much more convenient to stab a person with a fork, a spoon delivers greater satisfaction. Given its dull edge, it would hurt the person being stabbed much more than a fork would. Granted, it does take more effort to drive said spoon into the flesh, but in the end the person doing the stabbing would be able to walk away knowing that they have put their victim in an intense amount of pain.

~"Any liquid that needs to be scooped can be scooped with a person's hands."~

Yes, that is true. I could go and eat my soup by scooping it into my hands. But that would entail a great amount of mess seeing as the human hand is not waterproof and I would probably end up spilling the soup onto myself and any other objects close by.

~" But unless you're Edward Scissorhands, you won't be stabbing anything with your fingers anytime soon."~

Of course I wouldn't. My fingers are much too dull to do that. However, I can use my fingers to instead pick up anything that would have required stabbing. This might cause some mess, but not nearly as much as the soup scenario. After all, a liquid has a greater chance of spilling that a solid does, and I doubt even Johnny Depp could stab and eat a liquid.
B-Money

Con

Can you cut with a spoon? Sure, but since the edge is rounded instead of straight, the cut is less perfect. The voters should penalize you for eating enchiladas with a spoon.

I, despite my best efforts, have never been able to break someone's skin with a spoon. I have, however, bled someone to death using multiple, shallow stabs with a fork. It took 28 hours.

Your hands aren't waterproof? Does water flow through them or do they puff up like a sponge? Weird.

This is kind of a new argument, but it's also totally easy to eat a liquid with a fork. You just get a balloon, fill it up with the liquid, poke a hole in the balloon with the fork, and suck it out vampire bat style. See? Totally easy.
jack_samra

Pro

~"Can you cut with a spoon? Sure, but since the edge is rounded instead of straight, the cut is less perfect."~

My opponent has just admitted that you can do anything with a spoon that you can with a fork (except kill someone, which will be dealt with shortly). Therefore, my opponent admits that the spoon renders the fork useless. The cut might not be perfect, but that doesn't matter; we are not talking about sculpting here. As I stated before, we are talking about which is more useful as an eating utensil. Since the food being cut is not intended to be put on display but rather intended to be masticated by the teeth of the individual shortly after it is sliced, the quality of the cut hardly matters. Thus, a spoon, since it can do anything a fork can, plus more (like scoop up a liquid) wins.

~"The voters should penalize you for eating enchiladas with a spoon."~

I have already demonstrated that it doesn't matter if you cut things with a spoon. The voters should judge the quality of the arguments posted, not my eating style. =P

~"I, despite my best efforts, have never been able to break someone's skin with a spoon. I have, however, bled someone to death using multiple, shallow stabs with a fork. It took 28 hours."~

Well, sorry love, but I can't help it if I'm just that much stronger than you are. According to the Sheriff of Nottingham from the 1991 version of "Robin Hood" from 20th Century Fox, spoons should be used to take revenge instead of swords, since the dullness would hurt more. Since swords are obviously more awesome than forks, and since spoons beat swords, the only logical conclusion is that spoons > forks. While your fork argument obviously implies that your victim was in an incredible amount of pain, think about how much longer it would take with a spoon. The gratification of watching the person die would be multiplied.

~"Your hands aren't waterproof? Does water flow through them or do they puff up like a sponge? Weird."~
No, yes, and yes. But I understand that a normal human cannot keep liquid in their hands for too long due to the gaps between the fingers and whatnot, and due to the scooping motion and other movements there is a very high likelihood that it will spill all over. Besides, in order to scoop up a liquid, you must immerse your hands into the liquid. Even if you can discover a way to keep the liquid inside your cupped hands, the fact that your whole hand was immersed means that liquid will drip from other parts of your hand, meaning you will have some terrible cleanup to do later. That's hardly useful.

~"This is kind of a new argument, but it's also totally easy to eat a liquid with a fork. You just get a balloon, fill it up with the liquid, poke a hole in the balloon with the fork, and suck it out vampire bat style. See? Totally easy."~

But in the absence of a balloon, what will you do? Revert to using a spoon! And I must say, that seems a tad more complicated than using a spoon. Even if you did use that technique, you could use a pin or your teeth to poke a hole in the balloon, once again rendering the fork completely useless.

The bottom line is, a spoon is far more necessary and therefore more useful than a fork. Any food that you can eat with a fork, you can eat with a spoon. Macaroni and cheese, enchiladas, fruit salads, salads... while it may look awkward, a spoon is just as useful in these situations. However, there are certain foods that require a spoon. Soups, oatmeal, and to a certain extent cereal and ice cream, among many others, cannot be enjoyed with a fork. While the fork is a useful tool, the spoon does everything the fork can, plus more.

I thank my opponent for this wonderful, highly controversial debate and I strongly urge a PRO vote.

~~Jack Samra.
B-Money

Con

*Stabs opponent with fork, rides off into the sunset*
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
Which would you prefer me to remove your eyeball with?

Warning: comment posted while inebriated.
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
Gotta love debates with surprise endings.
Posted by mythbuster 7 years ago
mythbuster
you said spoonin...huh, huh...
Posted by jack_samra 7 years ago
jack_samra
Stiefel, this was my first debate on this site, glad it made you laugh :D
Posted by Stiefel 7 years ago
Stiefel
My first vote and comment on this site, I think I am going to enjoy Debate.org

Thanks for the interesting read, I laughed a couple of times. I must admit that I may have been pre-disposed toward the pro side in this one as I have frequently quoted "because it'll hurt more you twit" and had this in mind prior to reading the debate.
Posted by jack_samra 7 years ago
jack_samra
Wow, that was an intense ending. =D
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by Zephyr 7 years ago
Zephyr
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by barbequechickensandwich 7 years ago
barbequechickensandwich
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by welldonesteak 7 years ago
welldonesteak
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by LB628 7 years ago
LB628
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by Stiefel 7 years ago
Stiefel
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by jack_samra 7 years ago
jack_samra
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by FlashFire 7 years ago
FlashFire
jack_samraB-MoneyTied
Vote Placed by B-Money 7 years ago
B-Money
jack_samraB-MoneyTied