Zerosmelt
Sweatingjojo

Spore (the game) might just change the world!

Zerosmelt

Pro

I am claiming that once this video game > http://www.spore.com... < Spore, is released might just change the world forever.

"World" meaning humanity in general, not the physical earth.

All of you semantic debaters out there, who want to say, "of coarse it will change the world b/c after its released it will exist, hence the world is changed." you know thats not the point i'm getting at. I'm saying that this video game has a good chance of really changing the way people look at the universe.
Sweatingjojo

Con

I do not believe that this game will 'change the world' in any degree that would be significantly quantifiable outside of the gaming community.

I'm going to define 'changing the world' more specifically for the purposes of this resolution that alters the modern human culture to the point of being felt by the average non-gamer.

My belief rests on the past releases of frankly, amazing games, and how the world was not changed by their release. Games such as Metal Gear Solid (any of them), Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo (1, 2,3), Super Smash Brothers, Half-Life (1,2), the list goes on and on.

Now there have been some games that changed the world, such as Super Mario Brothers, or Pac-Man. However, those two games were both released decades ago, and the changes they have made to the way entertainment works are now part of the evolutionary cycle of these media, where games improve, sometimes significantly, but never to the point where it makes a long-standing mark on culture.

Spore, the game, will likely be something different and enjoyable on the PC, playable for many years, and building a community of many users throughout.

However, I don't think that there will be a significant alteration to human culture by the release of this game.

Zerosmelt

Pro

Thanks for accepting Sweatingjojo and providing your opinion. Unfortunately it is just that, an opinion. I will now provide an argument as to why this game will alter humanity's outlook on life in the coming decades. I accept your definition, but I will add an extra detail. That if change does occur that change will not necessarily be seen as obviously attributed to spore even after the fact. Nevertheless Spore will have been responsible for that change.

Spore Explained: Spore is a game that allows you to design and evolve life, starting with a single cell organism that evolves into and animal, a tribe, a trans-global civilization, and then a trans-galactic civilization. Conquering many planets throughout the galaxy with other alien creatures on them. The game also deals with environmental issues. http://www.ted.com...

Basically this game will give kids a view of the world that is all encompassing and allows them to see how what we do today does in fact effect the future of humanity. (something that is difficult for many ppl to see now) Childhood is the most important time for developing one's world view and since this game is focused directly on children it has real potential to change their views. Reducing religious influence and allowing greater appreciation for science. Dan Dennett wants religion to be taught in all schools this may just be even better than that.

The games you provided haven't influenced society b.c they havent dealt with important issues. Essentially they weren't capable of teaching kids anything particular. This game is completely different. So much so that every child should be given a copy.

thanks back to you~
Sweatingjojo

Con

First, my opponent sings high praises of the game, explaining how it will be awesome. Many other games have been awesome for the computer, like Civ, or Sims but the world did not change because of their existence. The game spore sure sounds cool, but won't matter in the end.

"Basically this game will give kids a view of the world that is all encompassing ... Childhood is the most important time for developing one's world view and since this game is focused directly on children..."

I'm not sure how an evolution-based game will change people's viewpoints on humanity. Halo didn't make people realize the importance of not trusting alien creatures, and Civilization didn't lead to people starting new societies on islands.

Children are not as influenced by games as my opponent would like to have us believe. Many people here probably played a game such as Sonic, however we are not all running around really fast collecting rings. Also, the game is marketed to people of all audiences, not just children.

"Reducing religious influence and allowing greater appreciation for science..."

Science is good, but a video-game won't make kids appreciate it more. Video-games, such as this one, are going to be highly entertaining, but won't make people value science over religion all of the sudden.

"The games you provided haven't influenced society b.c they havent dealt with important issues....This game is completely different. So much so that every child should be given a copy."

Metal Gear Solid has dealt with issues such as information control, love, politics of war, my other games perform similar tasks. But anyway, Spore doesn't deal with "important issues" anymore than my listed games do, it will simply entertain folks, but won't be valuable enough to be distributed to all kids. I doubt it will have any value, other than to distract school children from their school work, something that all fun games do.

As I have shown, the world will not by changed by the
Zerosmelt

Pro

"my opponent sings high praises of the game, explaining how it will be awesome"
1. I really need to clarify this: I NEVER said that spore would be AWESOME, nor have i praised it in anyway. I am not even saying that the game will be good. All that I am saying is that it MIGHT change the way many people see the world. And allow me to emphasise another important point about what i am agruing for. I am not saying that it will definitly change the world, just that there is a chance that it will. It "*might* *just* change the world." As long as there is a chance i win the debate.

2. Re: my opponent's comments on -Not trusting aliens, -Starting new societies, -Running/ collecting rings
These issues don't have practical applications on the majority of people's lives. On the other hand teaching/understanding/believing in evolution does as there is a huge uprise of creationsim in america trying to put an end to this understanding. http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

3. Essays, Books, Scrolls, TV, and Video Games are all forms of media. (i.e means of communication, dictionary.com)
Any form of media has the potential to change peoples outlook on life. Video games arnt noted for this quality today bc they haven't dealt/taught relevent issues. MGS and other games may deal will some issues like this, in these cases im sure that they do change some people's opinions. Such games however, do not contest the entire world view of a large body of voters. Spore Does!

4. Today our entire society relies on science. The country with the most advanced science is the most powerful. We have been in constant competition to hold this title. Scientific advancement relies on public funding. Science will only be publicly funded if people understand the importance of science. Creationism teaches that science isn't as important as it truly is. If creationism wins out an ecomonic catastrophy is gaurenteed. Spore might help!
Sweatingjojo

Con

Right into final rebuttals
"All that I am saying is that it MIGHT change the way many people see the world. And allow me to emphasise another important point about what i am agruing for. I am not saying that it will definitly change the world, just that there is a chance that it will. It "*might* *just* change the world." As long as there is a chance i win the debate."

Of course, anything could change the world, me posting my argument to this debate might change the way the world works. The debate is not won by pro if they can prove there is a chance for world changing, because this would place an insurmountable burden on Con. I proposed a proper burden for pro in my first response, and it went un contested, which means it was accepted. "I'm going to define 'changing the world' more specifically for the purposes of this resolution that alters the modern human culture to the point of being felt by the average non-gamer." (my words)

"On the other hand teaching/understanding/believing in evolution does..."
As stated before, this game isn't just marketed to children, and for the children that do get this game, it will be viewed as just that, a game. I wish my opponent had proved to the voters and myself how this game will influence children specifically.

"Such games however, do not contest the entire world view of a large body of voters. Spore Does!"
There have been plenty of intense provocative games released to the market (see previous), and they haven't changed the world. Also, we were never presented evidence regarding the size of this 'voting bloc' or how it is known they will be effected by this game.

"If creationism wins out an ecomonic catastrophy is gaurenteed."

I would have preferred if there was some evidence shown that creationists are close to over-running true science in America. Sure, they have a following, but no proof has been shown that they are negating America's scientific capability.

Why vote Con?
All points refuted, burden is
Posted by Skyler827 5 years ago
Skyler827
I can't vote yet, so here's my opinion.
The Game Spore was launched 2 years ago, is no evidence the world will be changed by it. Pro basically argued on hypotheticals and cited how other games had such an impact, but failed to demonstrate any impact on non gamers. Con described Spore for what it is and explained how long term science and philosophy aren't influenced by games, even Spore. However, Pro had more reliable sources and info. Both had good conduct.
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
ah sweating, you didn't actually show that.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
As con in this debate, all that I needed to do was show that pro's points didn't hold water.
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
Furthermore... you didn't refute any of my points.

re·fute
–verb (used with object), -fut·ed, -fut·ing.
1. to prove to be false or erroneous, as an opinion or charge.
2. to prove (a person) to be in error.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

you didn't prove they were wrong in anyway... all you did was question them. A vastly different act from refutting.
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
"I proposed a proper burden for pro in my first response, and it went un contested, which means it was accepted. "I'm going to define 'changing the world' more specifically for the purposes of this resolution that alters the modern human culture to the point of being felt by the average non-gamer." (my words)"

That doesn't put any burden on me regarding the chance of the game changing the world. All it does is define what is meant by "changing the world." I fully accepted this definition. It follows that there is a CHANCE that spore will alter the modern human culture to the point of being felt by the average non-gamer.

i didn't have to show that it was only marketed to children, it has the potential to change things even without children. Though it is largely marketed to them.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
to finish,

"burden is on pro. I win"
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
believe it or not! spore really might help! Not isn't to say that it will ever be recognized for helping. If it does help I'm sure very few will ever draw the connections.
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
i think it has the potential def.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
"Reducing religious influence and allowing greater appreciation for science. "

Spore does this?
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Spore was supposed to be out forever ago.
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Nox 8 years ago
Nox
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by DesolateSights 8 years ago
DesolateSights
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
ZerosmeltSweatingjojoTied