samthebadger
jktroll

Sport

Started: 7/16/2013 Category: Sports

samthebadger

Pro

I think that soccer players should get paid less money then they currently do now. A good way of controlling wages is a wage cap and i believe this should be introduced.
jktroll

Con

Thank you Pro for opening the debate on a very popular debated topic. My opponent introduces the idea of a wage cap to be used on soccer players income. Pro has yet to define the terms which this is applied. I hope Pro is aware that he or she must do so to allow me to tackle this debate. Pro has not made any further rules as to the structure of the debate and therefore has left the gate open for me to start my argument which , unfortunately for him, has cost valuable debating time. To simply put it, firstly I believe that for ALL PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES should not have a salary cap because this will limit their efforts as they will be sharing their sweat with others who were nowhere to be seen. It is very true they make a lot of money within a short time unlike people with salaries, but the truth is they have come a long way before they start receiving the money and they spent most of their time training and preparing for the competitions without payment. Another important point I would like to mention is that for the majority of professional careers in sport (and this definitely includes soccer), you're at your peak when your young. And soccer players career finishes with the sport when they turn a certain age usually after 25. Once they're retired, they don't have qualifications for other lines of work as a result of all the training from the age of 17 going straight into a pro sportsman has taken over their life. The huge amount of money they make in that short time has got to last them a lifetime at least.

If you think that's all. Well you'd be surprised because if you already believe they get payed too much, you are not considering the fact the the sport industry with soccer has turned into a business now and the money these players are getting paid is determined by how much income they generate for the club (ticket sales, football shirts etc.) are all the leading causes to the success of the clubs.

I'll leave you now for the next round after my opening two points. It depends where you want to take the debate in terms of structure as you failed to make it clear to everyone.
samthebadger

Pro

samthebadger forfeited this round.
jktroll

Con

Pro has failed to produce a response to this debate and therefore has lost out. It would only be unfair on him if I continued. I will give him another chance next round and we can leave this one out
samthebadger

Pro

samthebadger forfeited this round.
jktroll

Con

Ok so I don't see how he can redeem himself for the remainder of the debate so it's fair to say my opponent has lost the debate.
samthebadger

Pro

samthebadger forfeited this round.
jktroll

Con

jktroll forfeited this round.
samthebadger

Pro

samthebadger forfeited this round.
jktroll

Con

thanks for the debate. Vote Con
Posted by jktroll 3 years ago
jktroll
@Ragnar i completely agree with you
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Would you care for feedback? Optionally I could walk you through a debate, but with my win record that would be unbalanced.

1. The resolution should be a statement your evidence will be in support of. "Soccer players should have a wave cap," as opposed to just "sports" in general.
2. You should give evidence for what would be made better if there was a wage cap.