kasavayal
passwordstipulationssuck

Sports and games as employment

Started: 5/24/2017 Category: Games

kasavayal

Con

Sports and games are intended for recreation and for improving one's physical fitness. But what is the status today? Sadly they have become a show business and money spinners. For example cricket is a game. But it has become an employment to players. Tennis too is a show business which fetches huge money for the players. In India most cricket players are already employed in some organization or the other. By playing cricket also they earn huge money. That means that these people are getting 2 salaries.
By paying salaries we have made cricket an avocation for the players.Is it rational to make sports and games meant for recreation and improving physical fitness as employments? Cricket players demanding hike in their salaries is all the more atrocious
passwordstipulationssuck

Pro

My opponent states that sports and games are intended for recreation and improving one's physical fitness. At the recreational level this is true. When you go to the competitive level you begin to attract an audience who are willing to spend money to view these games and sports thus stimulating the economy.

Thus I offer the following contentions to negate the resolution.

Contention one. Professional sports stimulate the economy. Dating back to the ancient Sumerian Civilization, sports have provided a way for the people of a nation to find entertainment whilst also spending their money which then returns to the government and to other members of society. Any Freshman of business or economics could tell you that when people spend money, the economy grows. Fast forward thousands of years and we arrive at the modern day and we can see that the situation hasn't changed. Today, the sports business is one of the largest in the world. Creating revenue and generating economic growth everywhere from the United States to China. For my opponent to argue that we shouldn't have professional athletes is to argue against a massive economic benefit. As for sports players getting paid which my opponent describes as "atrocious" is an absolute necessity for said economic growth. In order for these players to get paid huge money, the people who engage in a voluntary transaction with the people who sponsor the events have to be giving the overall organization a huge amount of money. Some of which they pay in taxes, some of which they use to buy better equipment (thus stimulating the economy and attracting more people.) and they also give a large portion of it to their players who then spend the money and generate even more economic growth.

Contention two. Paying players large sums of money is the only way to ensure the survival of the sports business. In most sports around the world from American football and baseball to European football, the players at the professional level are required to spend most of their time training to beat other teams. Without paying these people a large salary (the large salary is necessary because of the money being generated by the industry because if they didn't pay them large proportionate sums the players would likely go on strike.) they would be unable to support themselves and their families so they would likely forego the sport in favor of traditional employment which would cause the collapse of the industry and cause a major hit in the global economy. As for Cricket players getting two salaries, this seems perfectly equitable considering they are working two jobs.
kasavayal

Con

Sports and games cannot be one's profession. This is a terrible deviation from the physical and physiological point of view. In a materialistic society everything is converted into a money making business. Sports and games are no exception to this. Because it is made a profession, many meet develop sports related ailments sometimes even life threatening ones which is quite paradoxical. Sports and games should improve physical fitness. Instead it causes not only physical ailments but also mental illness because of cut throat competition and rivalry. Sports should promote sportsmanship. But what do we see in sports arena? Rivalry and animosity. The handshakes at the end of a match is very formal and not out of sportsmanship. Let us become sane enough to consider spots and games as playing avenues and not as money spinners and show business. Past history need not be the correct stand.
passwordstipulationssuck

Pro

My opponents first point is that "In a materialistic society everything is converted into a money making business." I don't see a problem here. Making money then spending money grows the economy and thus benefits everyone. Next he brings up sports related ailments as a reason for prohibiting sports as employment. My opponent makes this argument despite the fact that no one is forced to compete in sports professionally. It's all purely consensual. To tell someone what legal thing they can and cannot do with their life is not only highly authoritarian but also morally atrocious. My opponent also states that sports breed rivalry and animosity. Sports aren't to blame here. Human nature is to compete. To be human is to want to compete with others. As for animosity, since it's clear that not everyone has strong feelings of personal dislike towards others, that's more of a problem with individuals and their temperaments than with the sports business as a whole. It's important to look at these sorts of issues with in an individualistic lens rather than a collectivist lens. As for your next point, I believe that it's perfectly sane to recognize the economic implications of the sports industry. As for it being a playing avenue, the people involved have made a choice to work extremely hard in order to play their sport of choice professionally and deserve to be payed a fair amount. Which in proportion to the amount of money they're bringing in, is quite a lot.
kasavayal

Con

Let us understand the meaning playing. In civilized societies healthy competition is expected even in sports. Sports persons taking drugs to excel and to win is a sad fallout of the present trend.Sports people unable to earn their livelihood by the usual means take to sports and games as a way of earning. This s abetted by the business minded. Let us improve economy by contributing to overall welfare of the society and not by making sports and games as a show biz and business. Playing games is purely based on personal aggrandizement as no societal interest is involved.
passwordstipulationssuck

Pro

My opponent begins by copy pasting his previous argument. If you want to see my attacks on that, you can look at my previous post.

the First new information my opponent provides is that some people may take performance enhancing drugs in order to win a game. Again, this is more of a problem with the individual rather than sports as a whole. It's no different than someone using dishonest means to get ahead in any type of employment.My opponent also states that sports is for people who can't earn their livelihood by the usual means. This simply isn't factual. Take Byron White who played NFL football (American) and later went on to be named a Supreme Court justice. He is one of many professional athletes who not only played professional sports, but also graduated from college with advanced degrees. (1)

And finally, my opponent makes the argument that we should "improve the economy by contributing to the overall welfare of society" My opponent doesn't then explain how he intends to deal with the massive economic devastation that would stem from the collapse of the sports business which would undoubtedly occur which believe it or not would not contribute to the overall welfare of society. Next my opponent states that "playing games is purely based on personal aggrandizement as no societal interest is involved" even if that's true, and every professional athlete only cares about self aggrandizement, there's no denying that despite what their intentions may be they have provided as societal benefit as I've explained multiple times.

I thank my opponent for this debate and I wish him the best of luck.

(1) http://degreecouncil.org...