STALIN
ej3467273

Stalingrad was the most important battle of WWII!!!

STALIN
Started: 11/18/2013 Category: Arts

STALIN

Pro

During the first round state which battle of WWII you consider to have been more important, nothing else. Round one is for acceptance.
ej3467273

Con

I will accept. I will use the Battle of Kursk.
STALIN

Pro

The Battle of Stalingrad was by far the most important Battle or WWII. I will start by giving some statistics and reasons to support this.

Importance of the Battle of Stalingrad:

http://en.wikipedia.org......

-Saved Stalingrad (the second most important city in the USSR)
-Saved the valuable oil-fields at the Caucuses (Grozny, Baku, Maykop, etc) which provided some 95% of Soviet oil.
-Saved the British Empire (stopped Germany from breaking into the middle-east which was lightly defended from where they could reach India and Egypt)
-Germany suffered a staggering 850,000 casualties
-This was the largest defeat for Germany
-The entire coarse of the war in Europe changed (in other words this was the most important turning point of the war)
-The Germans were in retreat on a scale never seen before shortly following the end of the Battle of Stalingrad
-Ensured that Turkey would not join the axis

The Battle of Kursk was also important, however it did not effect the coarse of the war in the way Stalingrad did.

Importance of the Battle of Kursk:

-Destroyed large reserves of German armor including many Tiger tanks
-Germany suffered some 250,000 casualties
-Ended all hopes of a German victory.

As we all see, there are more reasons for the importance of Stalingrad than Kursk. One could argue that the battles of Britain and Moscow were more important. Even if the Germans had won at Kursk, they would most likely have still lost the war.
ej3467273

Con

I am sorry, I have to concede my opponent. I was not prepared and that is deeply embarrassing that I forgot the importance of the Battle of Stalingrad.
STALIN

Pro

Well, thanks for accepting the challenge anyway. There is no need to be embarrassed. Its perfectly fine, Stalingrad was a very important battle.
ej3467273

Con

I would like to say that perhaps the Battle of Greece was more important than Kursk. While not as decisive as Stalingrad, it did delay Barbarossa long enough for the Soviets to stop them near Moscow.
STALIN

Pro

I would argue that the Battle of Smolensk was more important than the Battle of Greece. While the Battle of Greece delayed the Germans for two weeks, the Battle of Smolensk delayed them for two months.
ej3467273

Con

Eh. Next debate should be who is the best general of all time.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
STALINej3467273Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff. Actually I will give arguments as well, as I fully agree with CON's round #2.