cartersolomon
20CoWhite

Standardized Testing

cartersolomon

Con

Greetings, I would like to propose a new argument in regards to the standardized testing debate. For a while now, many people, including teachers and students have been questioning the validity of using standardized tests in order to evaluate a students level of progression in a certain course. I personally feel that standardized testing is not the most efficient method of achieving this.

To begin, how well schools score on standardized tests determines how much money the government will give them. Although this provides an incentive for schools to teach students the material well and get good test scores, it also means that teachers try to "teach to the test" and then it becomes about how much the students can memorize rather than how much they can comprehend. This squanders free thought and expression, and teachers are not teaching students critical analysis or creative thinking. Even if the teachers want to teach this, they are pressured to teach to the test for fear of losing their jobs if the students don't do well. Also, standardized testing doesn't take into account the unique learning style of every student. Some students might be poor test takers, but are actually very intelligent and learn the material differently. Students and teachers are pressured to do well on the tests, and the actual learning is not genuine.

I believe that standardized testing should be replaced with free-response type practice that is used often in classes to promote interactive learning.
20CoWhite

Pro

Standardized tests are the only thing we have to measure student learning. Standardized tests are important. They measure how are children are doing compared to other children the same age. They measure how our districts are doing compared to other districts. They measure how our state is doing compared to other states. Standardized tests are the only thing we have to measure student learning.
cartersolomon

Con

cartersolomon forfeited this round.
20CoWhite

Pro

20CoWhite forfeited this round.
cartersolomon

Con

cartersolomon forfeited this round.
20CoWhite

Pro

Standardized tests are important These tests help teachers learn where students stand academically. I am smarter than you. Do not doubt me. Ever. Children need these tests for their safety in knowledge. These tests are for the best. Do not try to ruin the system. Do it for the children. Trust me. Do it for the kids.
cartersolomon

Con

cartersolomon forfeited this round.
20CoWhite

Pro

cartersolomon

Con

cartersolomon forfeited this round.
20CoWhite

Pro

i think i win