KHatch79
Cowboy0108

Standardized Tests

KHatch79

Pro

There needs to be a standardized test passed in order to qualify for high school graduation.
Cowboy0108

Con

I disagree. The entire system of standardize education needs to be abolished.
KHatch79

Pro

Abolished means completely eliminate. Standardized testing serves a purpose. For example, it can provide data for educators and students on strengths and weaknesses. Data can be used to make improvements to education standards and set goals. As for high school graduation, a standardize test will make sure that high school graduates will be ready for the work world and/or college.
Cowboy0108

Con

Yes, if you create formal standards for the education system, the tests are probably necessary. I support the abolishment of all formal standards. They are designed to ensure that all students meet a certain criteria before they move on(see: No Child Left Behind). However, this also prevents superior students from moving forward with their education because they are stuck waiting for stupid kids. Standards are a terrible system for education.
KHatch79

Pro

All districts are required to meet the needs of ALL students, including gifted students. Because of this, ALL students are challenged at their appropriate levels (which tests help teachers determine strengths and weaknesses). And again, through differentiation, all students are learning and growing.
Cowboy0108

Con

NO!
I don't know where you went or go to school, but school's do not make the effort to appease ALL of their students. They only make the effort to appease their stupid students because they are the one's that will drop standardized test scores and make them look bad. In my elementary school, middle school, and even about half of my high school, upper level students never got any benefits other than a rare gifted class. Even then, that would just be one class per day. In all the other classes, I always had to deal with the stupid kids asking questions and the teachers being forced to answer them all the while holding me back. It is not, "No child left behind". It is "No child gets ahead".
In conclusion, I support the abolition of standards because it forces people be held back who does not need to be.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Oops, I mean non-standardized testing leaves Employers bewildered.
Auto correction chose the wrong word , as usual. I type too fast with frequent errors and forget to check auto-corrected words.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
After that long winded post:
I should really make a briefer summary of my concerns.

1: Students need to be certain that they meet the Standards set for entry into the careers they choose.
2: By the time many junior school students graduate (by what standard) most industries may already have tests to check the standards reached by those seeking employment. Mostly Rationality (RQ) testing, IQ has been deemed as a useless measure for workplace performance. Japan is leading the way in RQ testing for all prospective employees and students.
3: Achieving standards, gives students goals, without goals there is no dopamine (driving force chemical) produced to drive them to study and work hard, also no sense of achievement that passing standardized tests produce.
No standardized goals = less incentives and drive = low performing, lowly educated almost unemployable lack luster graduates.
Simply due to the psychological effects of not having a standardized target which passing can give bragging rights and social status to those who pass.
Non-standardized goals, leaves students bewildered and unable to compare results, it also leaves employees bewildered and forces them to do their own standardized entrance/employment testing.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Though Industry and many employers demand to have some kind of measure for the type and level of ability (background knowledge) that a prospective employee they require.
Standardized tests don't provide a very good guideline there either.

Many industries are now putting their prospective employees through Rationality (RQ) testing to ensure they are competent and make safe, rational decisions in the workplace.
Students need something to measure themselves against, when aiming at being competitive in the job seeking market.
Poor education (low rationality, subjects like Art, Theology and Astrology) will not give them a wide choice of employment.
Highly Rational courses like the Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering and Information Technology will give them a very wide choice of careers.
Some think it should be up to the individual, but in many cases I've seen young students choose low rationality (Irrational) subjects like theology, only to suddenly change their minds later in life, but, Too Bad for Them, because their brains cannot absorb knowledge as quickly as if they started young.
What would have been 4 years at school, may take 10 or more for them to reach the same level of knowledge and competency.

So I'm a big believer in having all children do subjects that give them the widest possible choices later in life and once they have the basics down pat, with some form of competency test (standards) involved, they can change to whatever channel they may wish to pursue.
If they change their mind, they still have a high enough level of competency in the basics to easily grasp an alternative path.
Some of those who took the easy, low rational road early in life, have absolutely no hope of ever getting into something worthwhile. Many can only do manual laboring jobs that require little knowledge in anything.
Because they are not very Rational, they make very stupid mistakes, so employers have them only performing duties under strict supervision, they can ne
Posted by StepaniukT 3 years ago
StepaniukT
I agree that schools need standardized testing because it provides data to know what teachers should teach, and what students need less or extra help. Standardized testing also helps prepare students for the real world, and college.