Randomknowledge
DJBruce

Standardized testing is not an accurate measure of ones intelligence

Randomknowledge

Pro

as I like to keep my opening arguments short, I will refrain from presenting much more than my simple argument

Standardized testing is not an accurate measurement of intelligence.

It does not encompass enough of the areas of the brain that lead to the difference in intelligence.

Thank you and good luck to whoever accepts.
DJBruce

Con

A properly administered standardized test can give a good measure of intelligence.

-You have standardized test such as the SAT, ACT, PSAT, and PLAN. None of theses tests are meant to measure intelligence. The above mentioned tests are meant to measure a students ability to in school and his likeliness to succeed in a college setting.(1)

-A normal IQ test when properly administered gives a very good representation of a persons G intelligence. (2)

Not all standardized tests are meant to measure the intelligence. But given the right test and circumstances intelligence can be measured.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(examination)
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello, and thank you for accepting. Let me clarify my view of a Standardized test. I view it as a SAT, SSAT, McGinley or other similar test.

An IQ test, in my opinion, is not what I consider a standardized test (although it might be).

Now, in your argument, you give a link to the ACT wikipedia page, and which i chose to click on the ACT test (I think that is what you meant).

Here is something directly from that page. I would like to point out that this is flawed.

Some students who perform poorly on the SAT find that they perform better on the ACT and vice versa.[3] The test has historically consisted of 4 tests: English, Math, Reading, and Science reasoning. In February 2005, an optional writing test was added to the ACT, mirroring changes to the SAT later that year. All four-year colleges and universities in the U.S. accept the ACT[4] but different institutions place different emphasis on standardized tests such as the ACT, compared to other factors of evaluation such as class rank, G.P.A., and extracurricular activities.

Precisely. may i focus on one area: The test has historically consisted of 4 tests: English, Math, Reading, and Science reasoning.

English, Math, Reading, and Science. Pretty basic subjects academically.

Here is the definition of intelligence:
capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

Now, does English, Science, Math, and Science incorporate "street smarts," "people smarts," or "relationship smarts?"

I didnt think so.

Moving on in the ACT desciption:

ACT, Inc. says that the ACT assessment measures high school students' general educational development and their capability to complete college-level work with the multiple-choice tests covering four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and science. The optional Writing Test measures skill in planning and writing a short essay.[5] Specifically, ACT states that its scores provide an indicator of "college readiness", and that scores in each of the subtests correspond to skills in entry-level college courses in English, algebra, social science, humanities, and biology.

More specifically(I dont like to take out of context): complete college-level work with the multiple-choice tests covering four skill areas.

As far as I have been taught, Multiple choice is alot easier than fill in the answer. There is 4 or 5 choices, usually ranging from smallest to largest (math). This again is not an accurate measure of intelligence becuase it does not measure all t the types of smarts I listed above. College Readiness and entry-level classes mean nothing as well. Entry level meaning lower level, (entering for the first time) and College Readiness (ready to attend a larger, maybe harder school).

I will leave you with a quote from Laurence J. Peters: "An intelligence test sometimes shows a man how smart he would have been not to have taken it."

DJBruce

Con

English, Math, and Science does not equal street smarts. But I do not believe that street smarts are part of intelligence. For example look at Sir Isac Newton he was a loner he had terrible social skills, and hated to interact with people. But by all accounts he was one of the most intelligent person in the history of the world. I do not believe that street smarts and relationship skills are part of intelligence.

A well designed multiple choice test can be just as hard if not harder than a fill in the blank test. Specifically when you are able to plant a seed of doubt that none of the above answers are right. Also some of these tests you are penalized for giving wrong answers which also increases level of difficulty.
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello again bruce and as I post my final argument, I realize that you did not refute my criticisms about The ACT. I guess that and any other arguments you did not refute you either conceded to me or decided not to refute.

Moving on, you said:

"I do not believe that street smarts and relationship skills are part of intelligence."

What if I said I do believe that street smarts and relationship skills are part of intelligence? does that make it any more right? beliefs are one thing, opinion backed by hard facts is another.

You said:

"A well designed multiple choice test can be just as hard if not harder than a fill in the blank test."

Excuse me for asking, but couldnt someone guess and have a 20% (five questions) or a 25% (four questions) chance of getting it right if they do not know it? Eliminating one helps even more. If you have no idea on a fill-in-the-blank test, you are (Excuse my frankness) screwed.

You said:

"English, Math, and Science does not equal street smarts"

I concede this to you, as they are not equal forms of intelligence. You cannot, however, say thats street smarts are not intelligence, as it is common knowledge that if you are "smart," you have some shred of intelligence.

In conclusion, standardized testing is not an accurate measure of intelligence because it does not test all the areas of which intelligence should be tested.

Thank you and I await your final argument.
DJBruce

Con

You said "beliefs are one thing, opinion backed by hard facts is another." But previously you said that the definition of intelligence is and I quote, "capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc." But that is not the definition of intelligence. So one is left to think that that is your belief and opinion on what the definition of intelligence.

The true definition of intelligence is "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations"(1)

With this actual definition of intelligence not your opinion of the definition. It is very easy to see how theses tests are a good judge of intelligence. The measure the amount of knowledge you where able to quire through your life a student.(ability to learn). They then also ask you to take the knowledge and skills you learned and apply them to a new sititaion.

You are right if you have a test consisting of only 1 question that has five answers you have a probability of guessing the answer of 20%. But you failed to take into account that theses tests are around 200 questions long. The probability of guessing all the answers right would be more like 1/5^200 or 1.60693804 � 10^-140%. So it is for all purposes impossible to guess all the answers right. So no the fact that it is multiple chose does not make it any easier than a fill in the blank test.

You talked about how I failed to refute some of your points. Like wise you failed to refute one of my major points. My point about Sir Isac Newton and how he was a loner and hated interaction with people. I had said this point to refute your flawed idea that street smarts is part of intelligence. The definition of street smarts is "the quality of being streetwise"(2) The definition of being streetwise is "possessing the skills and attitudes necessary to survive in a difficult or dangerous situation or environment"(3)
How does being able to survive in a dangerous environment equal intelligence. Because if it is all the thugs and drug dealers who survive in the ghetto by pedaling drug and stealing are incredible intelligent.

In conclusion standardized tests are a good measure of intelligence because the measure almost every aspect of intelligence. The measure a persons ability to learn by testing the amount of knowledge a person has been able to aquire through out there career as a student. They measure a persons ability to think critically and reason through asking kids to asking people to take previous information and apply it to a completely new and complicated situation.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Posted by uareabk 8 years ago
uareabk
However, what DJBruce fails to realize is that test-taking ability does not equal intelligence.
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
No standardized testing isn't a good thing to mesure intelligence, but it's real good at mesuring how stupid you are.
Posted by ComradeJon1 9 years ago
ComradeJon1
I agree with the resolution, but Bruce definatley portrays a better argument, so I voted in CON.
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 9 years ago
wooferalot101
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by Kusfraba 9 years ago
Kusfraba
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by sccrplyr40 9 years ago
sccrplyr40
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by WannabeMusketeer 9 years ago
WannabeMusketeer
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by ComradeJon1 9 years ago
ComradeJon1
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
RandomknowledgeDJBruceTied