massvideogamer
borg

Staples Easy Buttons should be less than $5

massvideogamer

Pro

Think about it. You are paying $5 just for something that says "That was easy", and that's all it says, if they are charging $5 there should be more than one saying. Staples could at least add a few more sayings. Like maybe "Good Work" or "You Rock". If they are just going to have that one saying, then it should be cheaper, like maybe $2 or $3.
borg

Con

Massvideogamer, how can you presume to tell Staples what it should or should not do? Your argument can be interpreted in two different ways, one from the supplier's point of view and one from the consumer's. Both of them are flawed, as I will demonstrate:

Interpretation #1 (supplier's point of view): The Staples Company should change the price of the Easy Button for business reasons.

Why? The company only does this if they are not doing well, and since the Staples stock is going up (as of Jan. 29), there is no reason for them to do this. Also, as I said, Staples makes that decision, not you.

Interpretation #2 (consumer's point of view): The Staples Company should change the price of the Easy Button because it does not have enough features to justify the $5 price tag.

That's a matter of opinion. You may think that $5 is too much; thousands of buyers and potential buyers may disagree. What it all comes down to is, the company decides the price and it's the consumer's choice whether or not to buy it.

Thanks for the debate, I'll be interested to hear what you have to say in your rebuttal.
massvideogamer

Pro

Borg you bring up some pretty good points, except why the Easy Button should be $5. Why should they be $5? All easy buttons are for is to just press after doing something as a so called "Reward" for your completed task, but we all know that's not how it is.

The temptation of pressing an easy button and hearing the oh so loved "That Was Easy" slogan of Staples is too great. Everyone just keeps constantly pressing it, and it gets highly annoying, So then we just put the button away to cease the annoyance, and probably never take it out again, only for the Easy Button to get lost in the deep recesses of our closets (or desks, cars, under beds, etc.)

Why should someone have to pay $5 just for something that tells you what you did was easy? It would be cheaper to just have someone tell you what you did was easy, instead of paying five bucks for an emotionless voice recording. You would be better off just getting a tape recorder and making your own recording

If you Google "easy button hacks", you will find countless websites about hacking easy buttons to alter what they say and do. The reason why these people do these things is not only because it is fun, but also because they are tired of the same old "That was Easy" function and want something more for the money they paid for the Easy Button.

Staples stocks may be doing well, but it is not the sale of overpriced Easy Buttons that are raising it, it is the many other things that Staples offers as the number #1 office store.
borg

Con

Massvideogamer, it seems to me you've gotten sidetracked. After your first paragraph, your argument degenerates into a semi-pertinent, opinionated rant about your own feeling toward the "Staples Easy Button" and about "easy button hacks." May I remind you this is argument is about why or why not the Staples Easy Button should be less than $5, not about people videotaping themselves hacking the product.

You ask why the Easy Button should be $5, and I will address that later. First, though, why not? You say it should be less because of its limited number of functions. However, this is obviously not true, since many people have bought them and have been satisfied with its sole function. On the flip side, there are those like you, who constantly demand more features and are continually dissatisfied. It's a toy that provides mild amusement, it talks, it's fairly good quality; why not be satisfied?

Now, why should it be five bucks? You have neglected to consider one aspect, the production cost. Let me remind you that it does cost Staples money to make the button, and in order for them to make a profit, they have to sell them for a bit higher than the production cost. $5, in today's economy, is not that much, and isn't a lot to pay for the cost of the molded plastic, speakers, and button-activated machinery that exists inside the button.

You move on to talk about what happens after the easy button is purchased. This has little or nothing to do with the debate, because if the customers lose interest in the product, that's their problem, not Staples'.

Next, you say that it would be easier to make a recording. Not everyone has the equipment necessary to easily create a recording. There may be a poor family out there who cannot afford recording equipment, but could go down to Staples and pay a paltry five dollars for the easy button. Also, your recording would not be an exact replica of the familiar 'That was Easy' voice. You also say someone else could just say 'That was Easy' to you. Still, the effect would not be the same. You can't control people, but the button is easy to control. In a way, by pressing the button, you are rewarding yourself, which you can't replicate by having someone else say it for you.

As for your comment about stocks, it's true that many other things are raising the stock, but the Easy Button is a part of Staples, too, and therefore plays a part, no matter how small, in how the company is doing.

Now, I believe I have been clear in my argument. However, if I have not been, here is a list of the main points I have made:

1. Why shouldn't the Staples Easy button be $5? True, it has only one function, but that satisfies many people.
2. $5 is not that much to pay, considering the production fee.
3. If people are bored with the product after a while, that's their problem, not Staples'. Most toys get old after a period of time. Also, 'I got bored with it' is not a valid reason to return a perfectly good product.
4. For many, it would *not* be easier and cheaper to make a recording. Also, having someone say 'That was Easy' does not provide the same effect as the button itself.

May I remind voters to vote on who was the better debater, not whose side you agree with. Thank you.
massvideogamer

Pro

Now is where i make my final argument to convince the voters that my side is the right side

"Massvideogamer, it seems to me you've gotten sidetracked. After your first paragraph, your argument degenerates into a semi-pertinent, opinionated rant about your own feeling toward the "Staples Easy Button" and about "easy button hacks." May I remind you this is argument is about why or why not the Staples Easy Button should be less than $5, not about people videotaping themselves hacking the product. "

On the contrary, i have not gotten sidetracked at all, rant-ish maybe, but not sidetracked. It seems you missed my point. My point was the reason why people hack Easy Buttons is because of the Easy Buttons lack of functions. The videotaping part of your argument is just random, for as I just explained, adds to why a Staples Easy Button should be less than $5.

"Now, why should it be five bucks? You have neglected to consider one aspect, the production cost. Let me remind you that it does cost Staples money to make the button, and in order for them to make a profit, they have to sell them for a bit higher than the production cost. $5, in today's economy, is not that much, and isn't a lot to pay for the cost of the molded plastic, speakers, and button-activated machinery that exists inside the button."

The production of an Easy Button is probably very cheap, especially since they are most likely made in China. The production cost of an iPhone is $250. The Touch Screen that is so spectacular is only $33.50 to make. So if the components for an iPhone are so cheap, then the cost to make an Easy Button is probably like $2-$3. So even if they were to lower their price by a buck, they would still gain money. Not to mention the parts they used could be scraps donated by an assortment of companies, that they just combine with other parts and make an Easy Button for even less money.

"You move on to talk about what happens after the easy button is purchased. This has little or nothing to do with the debate, because if the customers lose interest in the product, that's their problem, not Staples'."

Actually as a matter-of-fact it is. If someone buys an Easy Button and they are displeased with it, then they will probably tell their friends and family about their displeasure. Then if they heard about their friend/family member's unhappiness with the product, then they wont want to buy one. And then they could tell other people about this, and then they might not want to buy one, and then this cycle goes on and on. This would not be good for Staples because then they would be losing customers, which is bad for any buisness.

"Next, you say that it would be easier to make a recording. Not everyone has the equipment necessary to easily create a recording. There may be a poor family out there who cannot afford recording equipment, but could go down to Staples and pay a paltry five dollars for the easy button. Also, your recording would not be an exact replica of the familiar 'That was Easy' voice. You also say someone else could just say 'That was Easy' to you. Still, the effect would not be the same. You can't control people, but the button is easy to control. In a way, by pressing the button, you are rewarding yourself, which you can't replicate by having someone else say it for you."

True not everyone has the equipment necessary to make their own recording, but if you do, you're better off making your own personalized recording. Borg, your next sentence is irrelevant, for a poor family probably would not want to spend $5 for a button that says "That was Easy." They would most likely see the Easy Button's silly function and not want to pay five bucks for it. The recording would not sound like the voice, but it would be more personal, for you can make it say whatever you want, or have someone you love deeply make a recording for you, so whenever you use it, you hear their voice. I am not saying that you would just go up to someone and say "Say That Was Easy" for that is just kinda dumb. What I meant was someone patting you on the back and saying "Good Job" would be the equivelant if not more, because the person saying it would actually mean it. As I have said before, the majority of people do not use the Easy Button as a reward, but just something to randomly press because the temptation is too high.

"As for your comment about stocks, it's true that many other things are raising the stock, but the Easy Button is a part of Staples, too, and therefore plays a part, no matter how small, in how the company is doing."

You just said it yourself. The Easy Button plays a part, no matter how small. Which means that if an Easy Button is only $3 or $4, it would still play the same part.

Now I would like to remind the voters that it is not only who is the better debater that you vote for, but who got their point across better too. Thanks for this debate Borg, and good luck!
borg

Con

Massvideogamer-
I must say, I'm impressed. You present a thoughtful, well-rounded debate. Frankly, though, I am now certain that my tight schedule will not allow me to respond to it fully. In fact, after I write this, I will be closing my account. I'm sorry for not bringing a better conclusion to our debate; I simply don't have enough time to respond. Sorry.

Voters-
If you believe my two arguments were good, you may vote for me; I must say, though, if I were you, I'd vote for massvideogamer.

Thanks for the debate, maybe I'll see all of you again sometime.

-Borg
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
Don't tell me you baught one?
Posted by quagmire 9 years ago
quagmire
I probably agree with massvideogamer...but I can't be sure who is the better debater.
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
It is definetly not easy to be a $5 peice of plastic.
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 8 years ago
massvideogamer
massvideogamerborgTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
massvideogamerborgTied
Vote Placed by teach85 9 years ago
teach85
massvideogamerborgTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
massvideogamerborgTied
Vote Placed by stk1990 9 years ago
stk1990
massvideogamerborgTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
massvideogamerborgTied