LittleTetch
BradlyS.Mckinnon

Star Trek (Pro) vs Star Wars (Con)

LittleTetch

Pro

I know it's done to death but I wanted to talk about it with someone.

I love Star Trek more than Star Wars (but still like it and respect it's impact on our culture) and what to know why others prefer Star Wars.

Star Trek
I prefer the characters of Star Trek due to their levels of depth and them having more greys. I prefer the morality questions it poses and how it makes me think about them long after each episode. I prefer how it speaks about society and history in such a brilliant and interesting way. - I will go into more depth and give examples at a later date.

What do you prefer about Star Wars?
What do you think of what I put?
BradlyS.Mckinnon

Con

I prefer Star Wars more than Star Trek because the politics in Star Wars are far more interesting than the ones in Star Trek, I also think the story line of Star Wars is more interesting with more memorable characters.
LittleTetch

Pro

I'm going to share my opinion on what I think of what you put, expand on my previous points and then you can respond on what you think about what I have put. We can continue this pattern for the rest of the rounds but feel free to tell me if there is something you want to focus on.

Politics
I admit that Star Wars has some interesting politics. The different ideologies between the Jedi and sith is very interesting; how the jedi strives for controlling emotions but being at peace while the sith is about unleashing your emotions but always being at war (with others and yourself) is a clever concept and when you think about it, more complicated who to side with than it first appears as this video shows. Palpatine's rise to power is also quite interesting
https://www.youtube.com...

However Star Trek goes much deeper into politics than Star Wars does (which I can understand might make Star Trek more boring for some people); with more developed sides, ideologies ext... For example; the Klingon (a warmongering race) have a very rocky relationship with most races, Cardassians think they are superior to many other races and would like to help (conquer) them, the peacekeeping Federation trying to keep the peace, Ferengi who always scheming for financial profit and how they all interact is fascinating as you never know what is going to happen next.

Storyline
I did like the storyline of Star Wars; it had good twists and one amazing one (No, I am your father). It also had some quotable lines and touching moments. Though I think it leaned a little too heavily on the Hero's Journey I do like it.
I think Star Trek's storylines are just as good as Star Wars ones.

Memorable Characters
When it comes to infamy; Star Wars wins here. Yoda and Darth Vader are known well worldwide and many of the smaller characters are still known while the closest Star Trek has is Spock who is slightly lesser known (though still famous). However many of the characters from Star Trek have etched their way into my mind better than Star Wars characters as I have watched more of Star Trek so I'd say they are just as memorable it just depends what people see (and Star Wars seems more popular).

My earlier Points
Greys and Depth of Character
As much as like Star Wars; the characters of Star Trek are far more interesting to me due to their depth. Examples; Luke - a nice guy and well acted by Mark Hamill but doesn't seem to have much personality (feel free to disagree). Whereas Kirk is impulsive, reckless, stubborn and a womaniser, Picard can be cold, repressed, proud and a hypocrite. They seem much more compelling to me as they have more flaws.

Another example is Palpatine, once again well acted (I love his voice) but what is his motivation? I've read on a wiki (feel free to correct me) that he grew up with a first for power but what created that source? His surroundings and family don't seem to push him to be this way but he just is which hints at him being born evil which is an idea I disagree with. Two villains I prefer are Khan (who grew up as a superhuman and lived in a time when tyranny ruled and thus became a tyrant himself) and Dukat (who grew up in a civilization that believed they were superior to every other race and are never wrong), their surroundings helped engineer them into villainy.

Morality Questions
Is it ever right to deceive people if it could save lives?
Would you make that any better than the enemy?
https://www.youtube.com...

Society and history
Here is a scene where they strongly reference WWII and how the occupiers of France may have justified themselves (DS9 - my favorite series of Star Trek).
https://www.youtube.com...

Here is a scene on racism (Original Series)
https://www.youtube.com...

A little on the nose perhaps but still well written, brilliantly acted and thought provoking.

I look forward to your reply.
BradlyS.Mckinnon

Con

BradlyS.Mckinnon forfeited this round.
LittleTetch

Pro

I have nothing more to add.
BradlyS.Mckinnon

Con

BradlyS.Mckinnon forfeited this round.
LittleTetch

Pro

LittleTetch forfeited this round.
BradlyS.Mckinnon

Con

BradlyS.Mckinnon forfeited this round.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
I'd want to debate this subject. I'm Pro Star Wars.