Scyrone
olle15

Star Trek: The Next Generation is currently the best out of all the other Star Trek shows.

Scyrone

Pro

Star Trek: The Next Generation is currently the best out of all the other Star Trek shows (The Original Series, Deep Space Nine, The Animated Series, Voyager, and Enterprise).

1. The crew of the Enterprise D goes through a multiple of missions that deal with a multiple of issues including, but not limited to, the Human Condition, Love, Philosophy (which plays a big part of the series), Family, Values, Logic, and science, faith, and moral dilemma (especially involving the Prime Directive). Not only do they indulge themselves in these issues, but they use many examples from our real world to back up what they have to say. The other Star Trek series indulge in little bits of each issue, biutbut do not fully encompass every issue in it's entirity.

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation has a multitude of diverse crew members, including, but not limited to, singles, family, husbands and wives, and children. Many different cultures inhabit the story and different life paths change throughout the difficulties that they face. The Senior staff alone, which is the core of the series, has always had a dynamic cast of characters, and not flat characters.

3. Star Trek: The Next Generation expands the Star Trek Universe like no other. Yes, Voyager did travel to another quadrant, but the Enterprise D discovered not only a multiple of new species, but he discovered new planets new anomalies, and Q. They expanded upon Vulcan, Klingon, and Romulan Culture, and established what exactly the Earth looked like after what we are living right now. The Klingon language was even developed here.

These are my reasons for saying Star Trek TNG is currently better than all the rest.
olle15

Con

First off thanks for starting this debate this is going to be very interesting sense I love every series except for the original and the animated ones.

1) Really when you look back TNG did touch on real life affairs but compared to both Voyager and DS9 the TNG series only touched the surface. The TNG series was created by Gene Roddenberry and his vision was to have a perfect world of peace, and he portrayed that in his work. So it was for the most part not like the real world. You can try to use the argument that after he passed away they started to focus on the real life but this is not so when he died they took it into a whole other direction they wanted to show the evil side off tech after showing how much peace it brought. The result was every other day was a living hell for the crew It was unrealistic.
But DS9 represented everything a community stood for. There were businesses, families, law enforcement, religion, conflict between species, domestic issues and so much more.

2) Then there's the prime directive you say the TNG had moral problems with the prime directive that was nothing compared to the Voyagers problems. The TNG crew was sometimes hesitant to follow the prime directive but all they had to do to comfort themselves was say it's the law. But Voyager didn't have that luxury from their first day in the delta quadrant to their last it was one big struggle with the prime directive.

"Should I still from this ship to save my crew but if I do I will be disobeying the law I swore to uphold."

That is one of the smaller examples there are but I don't want to give it all up in the first round so I'll change subjects.

3) Voyager cataloged an entire quadrant of alien species and entities how you can compare that to the meager findings of the TNG Crew is beyond me. Not only that but Voyager made the biggest breakthrough of all when they accepted seven of nine as a crew member even though she was a borg.

That's all I want to say for this round so I don't use all my info. Your turn
Scyrone

Pro

I will now rebuttal my opponent's arguments.

"compared to both Voyager and DS9 the TNG series only touched the surface"

I would disagree with this. For real life physical issues, yes, but not for deeper actual issues on life. I will show some example:

"All the Good Things" – Focuses on anti-time, the existence of anti-time, and how something from the future can possibly affect from the past.

"Justice" – Focuses on the ideas of a Utopian society, how to achieve it, how justice should be dealt, and the quality of life.

"Conspiracy" – The idea of conspiracy, influence, and control, also governments

"Skin of Evil" – What is evil, what forms it takes, what are it's qualities, and it's metaphor and definition

"The Schizoid Man" – The Essence of the Human soul, Immortality

These are only a few of the topics that TNG touches on. While some might think them to be pointless, they are the deeper questions of life and humanity, not only the outer layer of skin that DS9 only offers. And Voyager barely offers any of this, because as you said, it is "one big struggle with the prime directive." They struggle with the Prime Directive only, and mostly it isn't even a struggle, because as you said "Voyager cataloged an entire quadrant of alien species and entities", meaning they had barely any trouble.

Plus, to make a good affect somebody would have to die in a plot story such as Star Trek. Voyager never killed off any main characters. TNG killed off Tasha Yar. Voyager was even afraid to kill their enemies in the series.

Voyager did catalogued much of their own data. While TNG's Enterprise D Databank was given loads of information (including a whole planets historical information) from the episode 11001001.

Yes, Seven was a member of the Borg. But let us not forget that Worf was one of the first Klingons to join the Federation (if I think he is the first), Data was the first Android to join a Starship, and let us not forget that Captain Picard himself was a Borg at one time. Meaning Picard had the same feat as Voyager did, with the exception in Picard came first in and out of the Star Trek universe.
olle15

Con

olle15 forfeited this round.
Scyrone

Pro

COME ON! This always happens! People are too lazy to reply or they just don't want to because they cannot get back on my arguments! GEES!
olle15

Con

First off don't flatter yourself your argument was no where near good enough to scare me away unlike some people I don't have constant access to a computer and that's what kept me away. And instead of making your final points you complained and wasted your last round that's poor debating.

Secondly Voyager touched on every one of the topics listed and more here are some examples of topics only on Voyager and DS9:

Author, Author
Life line
Projections

The thing these all have in common is that they deeply discuss what is life and if we can truly define a living being by having biological or is there more to life than flesh and blood.

Third you said << "Voyager cataloged an entire quadrant of alien species and entities", meaning they had barely any trouble. >> What!! Have you ever even watched Voyager? Just because they ended up getting home doesn't mean they had little trouble not only were they short on supplies but they were constantly under attack from the three major powers of that quadrant (Vidiians, Kazon, Hirogen, and Malon) not to mention the fact that they were on the borgs home field, and they took all of this on with no support from the federation a luxury only the enterprise had. And if you need more proof that they were way tougher refer to "the year of hell" under daily attack with few supplies. Their computer core has been stolen their warp core has been stolen and they have been the test subjects of many experiments. Things have gotten so bad that they had to put every one on one deck just to keep the ship running because they were almost out of power. They've hunted down a borg sphere multiple times. (I don't see the enterprise doing that) And their only relief was when they happened upon one of the few friendly planets that could help them with food and supplies.

Also voyager did the equivalent of killing off a character when they sent Kes back to the caretaker and if you want to get technical they did kill a main character when Kes came back to the ship as a guest star on the show and died.

<< Voyager did catalogued much of their own data. While TNG's Enterprise D Databank was given loads of information (including a whole planets historical information) from the episode 11001001.>> You took the words right out of my mouth the Enterprise D wasn't good enough to get their own info so they had to have if given to them. Not like voyager.

And yes Picard was also temporarily a drone he has never been there long enough to lose his humanity and personality unlike Seven who was a drone from a young age and unlike Seven there was a reason to save him he was the Capitan and they were loyal to the end. But Seven wasn't they could have easily killed her but didn't but I bet the Enterprise crew would have. And don't forget B'Elanna, Paris and Chakotay were all drones for a short period of time.

Finally if you want to talk about first here's some first set by Voyager:

First stranded in the delta Quadrant

First hologram to be accepted as a person and not a thing

First to convert a borg drone

First to have a mixed crew of Maquis and Starfleet

First to explore the Delta Quadrant

First female Capitan in series

Only one to give crippling blow to borg

Only Q to ever die

Only Q baby sense the start of time

First starship to use a borg trans warp hub then destroy it.

And that's that.
(good luck in the polls)
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
That escaped my mind lol

I love TNG. I currently have Seasons 6 aqnd 7 (and parts of 1), but I have seen most of the episodes with the exception of a few.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Scyrone, I'm surprised you didn't cite the great lengths TNG crew went to in making Prof. Moriarty feel like a person. They didn't have a mobile emitter, so they created an entire galaxy for him to explore... and a love interest to join him.
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
I must point out, that even though this is not part of the debate (and will not be treated as such), I must refute some of his "firsts":

"First to convert a borg drone"

~http://memory-alpha.org...

~http://memory-alpha.org...

"First hologram to be accepted as a person and not a thing"

~True, but then again Data was the first android to be accepted as a person, not a thing, too

"Only one to give crippling blow to borg"

~http://memory-alpha.org... (by sending him back to the Borg, it caused the next point to happen)

~http://memory-alpha.org... and http://memory-alpha.org... (The Borg were seperated and made sparse throughout their ranks becayse of the Enterprise-D)

"Only Q baby sense the start of time"

~http://memory-alpha.org... (the girl was a Q baby, but the Q Continuuim killed her parents, who were also Q)
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
My fault on that one. What I meant by bad grammar was "sooooooo,. u lyk 2 bing mE sum tings for 2nite!? yea, ppl jussuk tese days!!!111!"
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
You mean to say:
You're Welcome.

Your Welcome implies that I own Welcome and it belongs to me.
Posted by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
"Other" impplies that there are more shows that are not part of TNG. I think it can be worded either way.

"I'm sorry, by your clearly poorly worded topic you cannot argue that ST:TNG is the best out of non-ST:TNG shows."

That can be your point of view, but of course you are the only one who did not understand it correctly, so does it matter? No.

Your Welcome.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
Star Trek the Next Generation (ST:TNG) is the best of all the Star Trek Shows. Not the best out of all the other Star Trek shows. It is not, one of the "other Star Trek shows" much less the best.

One side has ST:TNG, the other side has ST:TOS, TAS, Voy, DS9, Ent... and your claim is that ST:TNG is one of the better of the other side?

I'm sorry, by your clearly poorly worded topic you cannot argue that ST:TNG is the best out of non-ST:TNG shows.

DS9 is the best of these other shows. The Next Generation doesn't even qualify as being part of "out of all the other Star Trek shows".

-- This is Tatarize, showing how I can win arguments though persnickity word parsing. Thank you.
Posted by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
TNG is the best series...until you've seen just about every episode 4 or 5 times, then you need to find something else
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 9 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Voyager will qualify under all those principles. And since it had better special effects....
Posted by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
I think it could be argued that the original series expanded the Star Trek universe more than any other series.
Vote Placed by Scyrone 7 years ago
Scyrone
Scyroneolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Riddick 8 years ago
Riddick
Scyroneolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Mr.Cactuar 8 years ago
Mr.Cactuar
Scyroneolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
Scyroneolle15Tied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
Scyroneolle15Tied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
Scyroneolle15Tied